Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ladies, would you ever "submit" to a man? Watch

(Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Just out of interest, why?
    ever since i was a young girl i had dreams of being humiliated and a mans slave- in and out of the bedroom. Having my life dictated to.

Very weird, as everyone sees me as a very independent and strong headed person in real life! Its just in a relationship i want to be a mans posession.

ReputationRep:
    **** da police!

ReputationRep:
    When I talk about submission, I'm talking about it in the religious/cultural/societal context. In a relationship, would you submit to your man?

To be specific:
    If you were in a relationship, would you submit to your boyfriend/husband? As in, being second to him, letting him be head in the relationship, letting him be head/'man' of the household, letting him make all the decisions in the relationship, letting him have the final say, letting him decide stuff for you, letting him boss you around, doing as you are told by him, asking for his permission to do something/go somewhere, doing stuff for him ever if he is not obliged to do stuff back (e.g. you cook and clean for him even if he doesn't himself) etc. Sometimes sex may come into it e.g. he wants you to do certain things.

All in all, I'm talking about gender roles, and the notion that you should 'obey' your husband no matter what.
    LOL. :adore:

No.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not, he should 'submit' to me!

Hell no!

No man would ever condone my fondness for expensive bags, shoes and other such things.

Also, on a serious note.. I've done the cooking for him thing.. Only reason- cos if he cooked then I would have ended up with a disgusting processed foods dinner. My ex tried to tell me how to spend the money I went out and worked fecking hard to earn. On top of that when is visit him (when we were long distance) he'd leave me in his flat when he went to work without a key. So I could leave and not be able to get back or stay in his flat all day? Don't let a man get so much control in a relationship.. I was stupid to think it was somewhat normal but it let him think he could be in control and he tried to rape me. Even after that it took me two months to break up with him- that's how much control he had gotten.

ReputationRep:
    What I am about to say is going to sound extremely cheesy, but ma peeps need to hear me out. Girls NEED a backbone. So don't move countries because of him, don't stay home as a housewife and don't do anything unless you please it. Get a spine ladies. Let him change, only if he sacrifices - you'll consider.

Don't adjust. Put your career, religion, beliefs first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I'm not a lady and I wouldn't submit so disregard this post.
    Always very helpful, aren't you Rybee. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzle223)
    Isn't god within every man. Which means you'll submit to anyone.
    Nope I don't Beleive anyone has god in them, god is god, and you think my religion reflects I'd submit to any man? Do your research yh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    Nope I don't Beleive anyone has god in them, god is god, and you think my religion reflects I'd submit to any man? Do your research yh
    Well that's why I asked it as question (forgot to put a ? tho)

Also I have no idea what religion you are. I'd assume some type of Christian though.

ReputationRep:
    I love how the first page encompasses pretty much every possible use and context for 'submit'

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why someone would answer yes. Maybe they prefer dominance sexually, but to be actually physical subservant to their partner shouldn't be part of a healthy relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I think that when in such an involved relationship as a marriage, it's just going to come out as whatever your personalities are, and probably did back in the bad old days as well, despite men's supposed legal primacy over women.

It is normal, even sometimes desirable, in any dyadic relationship (including friendships - and even enmities!) that one person be more acquiescent and the other more imposing (I avoid "submissive" and "dominant" for the moment).

The problem is when that dynamic is abused and it turns into an abusive or oppressive relationship. I would not counsel any woman, no matter what her natural level of submissiveness, to sign all her "powers" away to a man she was not sure about in the ways you describe. In general there should always be a mechanism whereby the relationship could be ended if it became abusive, which means not being able to see your own friends is a big no-no.

As to "doing stuff for him even if he's not obliged to do stuff back", I'd argue that such non-transactionality and trust is essential to any relationship. You can't spend your life in your relationship striking petty bargains about housework and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this girl getting negged for asking a question?

To answer it, no. I think people should be equal in a relationship.
    If a guy wanted me to "submit" then we are obviously too different to be together.

ReputationRep:
    To be specific:
    If you were in a relationship, would you submit to your boyfriend/husband? As in, being second to him, letting him be head in the relationship, letting him be head/'man' of the household, letting him make all the decisions in the relationship, letting him have the final say, letting him decide stuff for you, letting him boss you around, doing as you are told by him, asking for his permission to do something/go somewhere, doing stuff for him ever if he is not obliged to do stuff back (e.g. you cook and clean for him even if he doesn't himself) etc. Sometimes sex may come into it e.g. he wants you to do certain things.

All in all, I'm talking about gender roles, and the notion that you should 'obey' your husband no matter what.
    Then no, I would not.

ReputationRep:
    I'd submit my job application to a man... but I'm not a lady, so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no.

In the bedroom, yes, submit away, but definitely not in the wider context of a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Only in the bedroom :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    When I talk about submission, I'm talking about it in the religious/cultural/societal context. In a relationship, would you submit to your man?

To be specific:

Definitely not, we're not living in the 50's ^_^
    If he's better at certain "manly" tasks, fair enough, and if I'm better at cooking, it's only logical that tasks are divided like that, as long as we help each other out with said tasks when asked.
    Him being the head of the household? No way, why should he? Neither of us is better nor more worthy than the other.
    We split the bills and the tasks equally, mutual respect is where it's at ^_^

Only in the bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    personally, no because i want a career myself. some women like the idea of being a housewife and being submissive - i have nothing against that, feminists might argue against that but if that's what they want let them be

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.