Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I think we've all been there.

I have scars where I've had skin grafts (which is something I clearly have no control over -_-) and I was bullied because of it when I was quite a lot younger by a group of pathetic boys who just insulted everybody. That made me really self conscious. It's something that still bugs me to think about, but it's not really something that I'm hugely self conscious about now :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to be picked on because of my weight a lot at school, so I starved myself to over come this I lost about 2 stone within like 6 months when I was in year 8 then I was called giraffe and skeleton. I wasn't even 'fat' to start off with looking back.

I used to also have the braces and glasses combination going on so I started getting called Ugly Betty (which my brother started), which at the time hurt like hell. But now I look back on it as an element of a compliment because she is so hot!

Because of lack of interest from boys I've always taken this as due to my image, people where I live don't seem to look past the exterior and all the hot girls get the boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    I don't think it's fair that people can have genuine issues with their appearance due to their past and be labeled an attention seeker just because they got what society consider "lucky" during puberty.

Cue the negs.
    I agree with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really been insulted regarding looks openly :dontknow:

But have been subjected to racial abuse which is linked with looks I guess
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One time this boy in primary school said he wouldn't go out with me cause I was too ugly.
    Didn't really take it to heart though haha.
    Used to get called fat/tubby etc but now that I've lost the weight its all good

Saw one of the guys who used to call me fat the other day and his jaw practically dropped... Felt good.

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me sad.

I've been insulted directly and indirectly about my appearance many times and like everyone the insults mean more than compliments.

I learned though that nobody else's opinion of myself matters but me. Nobody will respect me if I don't have confidence in myself. Reading this thread has made me sad because people are clearly remembering the insults and letting them affect their body image.

Don't let anyone ever make you feel bad about how you look. I'm not gonna say stupid cliché stuff like "you are beautiful" blah blah blah but come on, there's always going to be someone critiquing how you look! Even the most amazing looking people get insulted. You let those people win if you take their opinions on board. Only your opinion matters.

ReputationRep:
    I am a ginger, and since we aallllllll love gingers, ive never been insulted...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOHarriet)
    Yep. Not so much anymore, but in primary and middle school I'd get a lot of abuse. Not really because people thought I was ugly facially, but I'd get a lot of nasty comments about my weight and my hair (because it was curly and not burnt straight). I find it a little disappointing that the fact that I spent the majority of my childhood bullied to the point where I'd cry myself to sleep and beg my parents not to send me to school is completely disregarded because of the fact I'm considered somewhat attractive now. I don't think it's fair that people can have genuine issues with their appearance due to their past and be labeled an attention seeker just because they got what society consider "lucky" during puberty.

Cue the negs.
    I agree with what you are saying, but you can't make a big deal of it. Think of the ones who cried themselves to sleep then were "unlucky" during puberty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstyy93)
    When I was younger alot of other kids used to pick on me because of my eye colour. I have sectoral heterochromia (eyes not all one colour) and because they hasn't seen anyone else with it they used to call me things like 'witch'. It didn't really last very LNG, they soon moved onto the next kid to pick on them. It did dent my confidence but I'm fine now. I kinda like how my eyes are a bit different
    I think that's pretty cool lol, are those your eyes in your picture?

ReputationRep:
    Got called fat like 5 years ago but i was fat back then...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, where do I start.

I've been ordered to stand side-on before, where girls then laughed and talked about my apparently funny-shaped nose or something. I've been made fun of for having a bit of a lazy eye, which is unfortunately visible very clearly in pictures. I have wide hips with lots of excess fat on them, which makes these two sticky-outy bumps on either side of me which look really strange. Had people comment on them. I've been called fat and ugly.

I even dreamt the other day that I took a drunk video for a laugh, my mates posted it to Facebook, and I had a string of nasty comments from guys and girls talking about how ugly I was.

As I've gotten older, though, I haven't received any nasty appearance-related comments for about 3 or 4 years. Either I've gotten more attractive, or people have grown up. I'd like to think both (maybe?)

ReputationRep:
    Been called ugly and fat throughout primary and secondary school.Some guy once told me in front of my whole German class that i'm fat, ugly and no one would ever want me.

ReputationRep:
    If you get insulted, as hard as it is to shake it off, you literally have to see that pretty much EVERYONE gets insults from someone based on their appearance. Look at celebrities, for example. If you come across a photo of one, with the option for comments, you will most likely find one insensitive prick who picks out their flaws and blows them way out of proportion. It's all just pure jealousy, and the other party are probably much worse off if they have to depress their own insecurities by attacking others' self esteem. They are sad people indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstyy93)
    I kinda like how my eyes are a bit different
    Can I have a look?

Not in a creepy way... ha

ReputationRep:
    People have made unnecessary comments about my eczema before, usually along the line of "scabby" and other nonsensical names.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be called a midget and short-arse and people would purposely put my belongings in places that I wouldn't be able to reach so they could laugh at me and make me jump to get them back, they'd also use me as an arm rest if they stood next to me (I'm 5'1).
    When I was in school I was going out with this boy who then broke up with me because I got braces and all his friends said I looked like a 'squish' which was a mix of a 'squirrel and a fish'. I also had pretty severe acne on my forehead and cheeks and people would comment and go up to my friends and call me pizza face and ask why I hadn't tried to get my skin fixed (and believe me I was on all creams and pills!) it was pretty traumatic at the time! It's just funny to look back at it now and that when I see the people who used to pick on me they say how much I've changed and grown into my looks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckalou)
    Some guy once told me in front of my whole German class that i'm fat, ugly and no one would ever want me.
    What did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else have to do dancing (with the opposite sex) during secondary school? Horrible...

yes i have been called big nose my whole life

I once overheard someone saying that I was the ugliest person in my year of school, which was made slightly better when I heard one of my friends defending me. However, I was still pretty crushed at the time, and the fact that I still remember it 5 years down the road shows how hurtful insults can be! However, I didn't really care about my appearance at all back then, and after hearing the comment it inspired me to tidy myself up, buy some new clothes etc. and boom, obtained my first gf within 2 months, so maybe it was actually good for me

I've also been insulted countless times due to my ethnicity/racial features both at school and university. When I was younger I would tend to be very confrontational and bitter, now I've learned to either a) ignore it or b) come back at them with a very personal and scathing remark, followed by a laugh so other people won't think you're being *****y...seems to work out pretty good!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.