Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    It looks cool, trust me
    By the way I just wanted to say thanks for the henna advice
    My hair is now a lovely chocolate brown with coppery highlights (instead of nasty silver). Also it's really shiny! It feels nice to ditch the chemicals

(Also I wanted to say again how amazing your hair is )

ReputationRep:
    aren't soaps incredibly drying/irritatiing though? I have really sensitive skin so I don't even use soap on my body . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I haven't used a whole one up but I guess it depends on how often you was your hair. I'd guess that the small bars would last at least 30 washes (that's shampooing twice each time), and the big one's would last twice that.

I guess it's pretty economical. I was my hair every other day (if that) so a small one will last over 2 months for me

I think I can explain from what I gathered from my chemistry A-level
    The bars of soap you find in the supermarket aren't actually real soap these days, they're made with SLS. To make real soap you need to add alkali to fats/oils. So these bars are basically soap. They are a big mix of oils (coconut oil etc) which are reacted with alkali to make soap, then after it's all reacted some extra oils are added that don't react (so they can condition your hair).
    I think the main reason that places stopped selling real soap is that it doesn't work the same in all areas, it depends on the hardness of your water. But I live in London with the scummiest water possible and they work fine. I think part of the purpose of rinsing with a vinegar solution afterwards is to stop the water scum from building up though.

Basically they later really well, big and foamy
    If your planning to buy one from that website I'd say that the babassu ones lather the best in my experience.

This website has loads of information:
    http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve...utshampoo.aspx
    I love the look of their products but the postage is just too expensive

(Original post by mcdermie)
    They lather really well just rub them over your hair a lot whilst it's wet, they smell really nice too!! Only used mine once so far and already noticed a difference!
    thanks guys, think I'm sold Once my lush shampoo runs out I'll try out the babassu one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaraBelle)
    thanks guys, think I'm sold Once my lush shampoo runs out I'll try out the babassu one
    The orangey babassu one looks really good but I didn't buy it (I have the brown one) because it has beeswax on the ingredients and I wasn't sure if it would make my hair feel waxy. I think I might email the woman and ask her about it because she's really nice.

My only warning on the shampoo bars is that they can make your hair feel a bit sticky the first couple of times you use them. I think it's because it gets rid of product build up. Also they're not a strong as normal shampoo so you normally have to wash all your hair instead of just washing your scalp and letting it rinse the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Here's the pics, hun. My hair journey has culminated over a series of years, so it will be a fairly long post

So, this was my hair when I was a child. I remember lamenting that my hair would never be the same again and that I'd 'lost' my childhood curls! Little did I realise, it was my own self inflicted damage that was costing me the curls I desired.

When I was an early teen, I dyed my hair. Ugh!

Eventually, I got tired of this and cut it all off

You'd think I would have learnt my lesson, right? Nope! I would rip through it with a brush, literally. I would never let it air dry, I always blowdried it until it was dry as a crisp left in the sun, I would straighten it often with no type of heat protectant. I treated it like crap.

Then I dyed it, again LOL (for the record, my hair HATES dye). You can see how AWFUL the condition of my hair was. My ends were disentegrating, it was dry, it was heat damaged. I never wore it natural (air dried) because it looked awful

This was it on a GOOD day LOL

I got fed up again, and chopped it to here:

I started really looking after my hair - not using heat very often, always air drying, stopped using shampoo, deep conditioned it regularly and my hair started to look like this (no product at all!)

It got this long

but I started to slack (this was also when I was in the process of losing weight from nearly 200lbs and was deeply unhappy with myself)

Then, as I lost more weight and got more confident, I started looking after it again.

And now my hair's here I have been a little lacking in the hair care department lately, but it's still MILES healthier than it was a few years ago. By the way, my hemline looks awful because I trimmed recently and the curls don't show any hemline discrepencies.

Sorry for the millions of pics, but I just wanted to show you how much of a difference good hair care makes. I hope this helped!
    Your hair is just . . . to die for! What do you do to it?

ReputationRep:
    p,s. has anyone tried the body soaps from actually naturally? They sound okay, but IDK if they are really harsh?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used a whole one up but I guess it depends on how often you was your hair. I'd guess that the small bars would last at least 30 washes (that's shampooing twice each time), and the big one's would last twice that.

I guess it's pretty economical. I was my hair every other day (if that) so a small one will last over 2 months for me

Cheers, very useful!

ReputationRep:
    The orangey babassu one looks really good but I didn't buy it (I have the brown one) because it has beeswax on the ingredients and I wasn't sure if it would make my hair feel waxy. I think I might email the woman and ask her about it because she's really nice.

My only warning on the shampoo bars is that they can make your hair feel a bit sticky the first couple of times you use them. I think it's because it gets rid of product build up. Also they're not a strong as normal shampoo so you normally have to wash all your hair instead of just washing your scalp and letting it rinse the rest

ah okay, so which one would you recommend? Aw that's nice, good customer service is always a bonus

Thank you- quite different to the lush shampoo bars then. Might have to get them over summer and try it out then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaraBelle)
    ah okay, so which one would you recommend? Aw that's nice, good customer service is always a bonus

Thank you- quite different to the lush shampoo bars then. Might have to get them over summer and try it out then
    I guess it depends on your hair, I like the babassu and jojoba one the best but the smell is quite earthy because it's unscented. It only smells in the shower though, not on your hair

ReputationRep:
    I have dreadlocks, and alternate between Lush shampoo bars and a 'shampoo' I make myself with bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice, tea tree oil and lavender oil. I find that both are very effective at cleaning hair and the scalp, and it sort of allows you a bit more freedom with regards to washing - mine doesn't start to smell or look gross until the ten day mark, although I rarely leave it that long unless the circumstances call for it (festivals and such).

Also my hair seems to now grow a lot faster than when I was using bottled shampoos.

ReputationRep:
    By the way I just wanted to say thanks for the henna advice
    My hair is now a lovely chocolate brown with coppery highlights (instead of nasty silver). Also it's really shiny! It feels nice to ditch the chemicals

(Also I wanted to say again how amazing your hair is )
    Thank you so, so much!

I'm really glad it worked out for you :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PardonMyFrench96)
    Your hair is just . . . to die for! What do you do to it?
    Thank you very much! I really appreciate it :-)

I just wash it with conditioner and let it air dry. I don't use heat very often and only detangle it while wet, drenched with conditioner. I barely use shampoo, and wash it with conditioner every day.

I think I went into more detail earlier up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy with really thick hair, I went for nearly a year without using any soap in it. I would occasionally put coconut oil in it then wash with just water, if i was feeling self conscious about the smell (which really did get lesser when the level of natural oil is back to normal). I'll wash with shampoo once in a blue moon, but I don't really know why as it always feels horrible after. Think I'll give up shampoo for good.

ReputationRep:
    People that use the shampoo bars, how long was it until you could see a difference?

ReputationRep:
    I quit shampoo cold turkey. The first few weeks were horrible. Hair was greasy as **** and smelt bad.

After that it levelled off and it's honestly been amazing. It's so much easier to style even without product; it's thicker and feels heavier as well. I was pretty sweaty after training once and used shampoo and just that once was enough to **** it up for weeks. So I'll only use shampoo if I get actual stuff (mud for example) in my hair in the future.

I don't know how different it would be for girls.

ReputationRep:
    I went a day where i just scrubbed my hair with water. fel really good the next day. I'm worried if I do this long term it will smell though. May try doing this every other day or so, so I'm still using shampoo regularly, or perhaps using baby shampoo

ReputationRep:
    What do you make of this shampoo? Is it as free from chemicals as it can be? I've also tried making some of my own here at home but I'm yet to try it
    http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/Lavender-Shampoo/PID/16

ReputationRep:
    Just washed my hair with a bicarb recipe and conditioned with a vinegar recipe, and my hair is super soft and nice. However.... is there anywhere in england/online and shippable to england that sells SLS free shampoo bars? I literally can't find one that doesn't cost something like £20 shipping.

Either way, pretty chuffed with my efforts right now haha

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Just washed my hair with a bicarb recipe and conditioned with a vinegar recipe, and my hair is super soft and nice. However.... is there anywhere in england/online and shippable to england that sells SLS free shampoo bars? I literally can't find one that doesn't cost something like £20 shipping.

Either way, pretty chuffed with my efforts right now haha

Cheers
    try actually naturally- google them- they sell shampoo bars for around £3/4 and they're amazing!! and in England so postage is average

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcdermie)
    try actually naturally- google them- they sell shampoo bars for around £3/4 and they're amazing!! and in England so postage is average
    Thanks so much!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.