Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just inherited a large sum of money so the world is my oyster this summer. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Assuming that all criticism of care-free spending is "jealousy" is rather spurious. We live in a society in which we expect the state to wipe our bottoms when things are tough, only to pee out any cash in the most care-free way possible the second we see a surplus in our bank account. A wide-array of problems from immigration to joblessness could be put down to young adults with the financial mentality of a toddler.
    Oh, absolutely. Can't argue with that. But we're not here to change the system, so we might as well make the most of it.

Before i set off, i'd lost my job, so i went to tell Lloyds to make the necessary arrangements with my accounts as i no longer had a job, never-mind a good one, and didn't intend to look for one. They offered me £25k unsecured loan to help with my travels... The problem extends far further than young adults spending money they don't have (though, crucially in this case, OP does).

On a side note, wish i'd taken it and declared myself bankrupt - would have been off my record by the time i was done travelling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Meh...at best an irrelevant contribution.

Due to the credit crunch, i found myself with a windfall that could have been a house deposit or a nice car purchased outright. Did i invest it? The hell i did. Blew most of it travelling and through various twists and turns have ended up richer, in every sense of the word, than i ever was before.

Do i regret not having a nice car to cart my arse around in (and they're rarely if ever an investment) or a few tens of thousands less mortgage balance if i'd stayed at home and bought a house? F-No.

A disposable £6k is an amount that many, i dare say most, people will never see sitting in their bank account, and be even less inclined to spend. Props for choosing this path, OP, hope you have fun - any negativity you encounter is, by and large, jealousy
    The way I see it is what am I going to tell my Grandkids? "Grandma brought herself a nice car at 18 and went on a drinking holiday to Ibiza..." No, I'll probably would of forgotten the type of car and probably not best to mention the drinking holiday where all my friends caught STDs..

I want to be sitting in my nursing home thinking about that time I visited a Buddhist temple, rode an Elephant in its natural environment and that time I stumbled upon a night market in Phnom Penh. Life is too short to grow up quickly and settle down.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

Can you give me any pointers with planning? Did you know what places you wanted to go to before you went or did you just book a flight and go with the flow?

ReputationRep:
    You mean mindlessly ambling around a few dirt-poor countries pretending to be more 'enriched' because you got bored of trigonometry?
    Yes? What are you going to do this summer? What will make it any different from the summer before and the summer before that. I got bored of trig years ago, hence why I don't do maths A-level. Geography all the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    two hundred quid...

Na, just kidding, i've got 6 grand to play with
    I would save the majority of it in an ISA, when it comes to buying/renting a house it will do you a massive favor and you won't need to save as much for it. Or you could learn to drive/buy a car, go on a nice holiday, buy a load of new clothes... you've got lots of options.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, absolutely. Can't argue with that. But we're not here to change the system, so we might as well make the most of it.

Before i set off, i'd lost my job, so i went to tell Lloyds to make the necessary arrangements with my accounts as i no longer had a job, never-mind a good one, and didn't intend to look for one. They offered me £25k unsecured loan to help with my travels... The problem extends far further than young adults spending money they don't have (though, crucially in this case, OP does).

On a side note, wish i'd taken it and declared myself bankrupt - would have been off my record by the time i was done travelling!
    Your positive demeanour is much appreciated, though I think the part I've placed in bold is important and is precisely my point. I presume you don't believe she's always going to remain in positive balance..

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure someone will email you with a business idea that requires 6 grand

ReputationRep:
    Yes? What are you going to do this summer? What will make it any different from the summer before and the summer before that. I got bored of trig years ago, hence why I don't do maths A-level. Geography all the way!
    I guess this has more to do with a wider sense of cultural appropriation. In other words, using your cash to fund the delusion that foreign cultures exist to massage your white, middle class fantasies of sophistication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    I would save the majority of it in an ISA, when it comes to buying/renting a house it will do you a massive favor and you won't need to save as much for it. Or you could learn to drive/buy a car, go on a nice holiday, buy a load of new clothes... you've got lots of options.
    Isn't that pissing it up the wall? I'll probably buy a house in ten-years-time and I have no desire for material goods. I'm the kind of person who HATES beach holidays, ugh, my definition of a nightmare lol.

I have a very nice bike that can get me to anywhere in my city in less than 30minutes. I'm also an eco-nerd so driving when I can cycle or get public transport is against my philosophy.

I'm going to save some of it in an ISA for an rainy day or for next years travels

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that pissing it up the wall? I'll probably buy a house in ten-years-time and I have no desire for material goods. I'm the kind of person who HATES beach holidays, ugh, my definition of a nightmare lol.

I have a very nice bike that can get me to anywhere in my city in less than 30minutes. I'm also an eco-nerd so driving when I can cycle or get public transport is against my philosophy.

I'm going to save some of it in an ISA for an rainy day or for next years travels
    Not helping your case

Sorry carry on

ReputationRep:
    ... go with the flow?
    There is a time and place for everything.

Now, it seems to be the time for travel - and you have the desire, money and time (you rarely if ever have all 3). It is probably the right time to travel and the wrong time for house/car.

If you're still doing it in 20 years, dressed as a hippie, i'd say the crew with cars and jobs are in the right time and place, and you're a bit nuts!

I booked a 1 way flight to Toronto and my first few night's accommodation. Why Toronto? South America always appealed...and this was the cheapest flight to somewhere in the Americas...but it took just over 6 months to work my way down to Colombia!

Planning/deadlines/inflexibility ruins travel...for me. How do i know what i will like/wont/how long to stay in places? I ended up staying 3 months in 3 places (so 9 months total!) that i'd never even heard of before arriving...and moved through some countries in under 24 hours just to get out of there. Being flexible is being free...and that's what i like about travel

ReputationRep:

I don't think it's pissing it up if you're saving and will gain interest on it until the time comes to buying a house (or something else big that you really want), I think it's quite sensible. Buying clothes etc. will only be good for the short term so I would agree on that!

ReputationRep:
    Scrap Asia and go to Blackpool for a weekend.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this has more to do with a wider sense of cultural appropriation. In other words, using your cash to fund the delusion that foreign cultures exist to massage your white, middle class fantasies of sophistication.
    Hasn't anyone read any of my posts of me explaining that i'm not middle class and if it's a fantasy what's wrong with it?

Most people my age get drunk, have guys on their mind and any money they have is spent in topshop.

I'm the kind of person who sits in, watches documentaries,gets emotional over the environment, boycotted Cadbury's because of palm oil.I'm madly in love with Elephants, I was in America last year and I had the opportunity to ride one at a state fayre but it looked sad and mistreated, so therefore against my morals.

I quite like foreign cultures, the type of culture that doesn't worry about money, gives you their last penny if you need it more, helps the elderly and educates their kids. I hate British society, why do I have to have a nice car to prove to other people that i'm not a failure or so that other parents won't frown at my future children. What's wrong in driving a rust bucket? My parents did for years, my mum has a little old rover that doesn't like motorways but you know, I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.

LOL, 6 grand? Are you serious? You poor dear. Even a million pounds isn't much these days. When you said "a large sum of money", I genuinely thought that you meant a large sum of money.

If you're frugal enough, you could go to several places.

But you poor dear - 6 grand... :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
    I don't think it's pissing it up if you're saving and will gain interest on it until the time comes to buying a house (or something else big that you really want), I think it's quite sensible. Buying clothes etc. will only be good for the short term so I would agree on that!
    What is the average ISA paying at the mo?

1.5% Wow :confused:

Even using our government's absolutely undercooked super-optimistically underestimated inflation rate means that the money in your ISA...or any savings account...is decreasing in real terms.

£6k? I guess it depends if you consider that a life changing amount that you absolutely simply must hang onto or not...but i'd just spend it wisely...

ReputationRep:
    I saved up a few grand from my placement year and used it to fund a 520 mile walk for charity across England and Scotland last summer-it cost me around £1.4k all in which is roughly as much as I ended up raising. Do something like that, keep most of your £6k, and help others at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    There is a time and place for everything.

Now, it seems to be the time for travel - and you have the desire, money and time (you rarely if ever have all 3). It is probably the right time to travel and the wrong time for house/car.

If you're still doing it in 20 years, dressed as a hippie, i'd say the crew with cars and jobs are in the right time and place, and you're a bit nuts!

I booked a 1 way flight to Toronto and my first few night's accommodation. Why Toronto? South America always appealed...and this was the cheapest flight to somewhere in the Americas...but it took just over 6 months to work my way down to Colombia!

Planning/deadlines/inflexibility ruins travel...for me. How do i know what i will like/wont/how long to stay in places? I ended up staying 3 months in 3 places (so 9 months total!) that i'd never even heard of before arriving...and moved through some countries in under 24 hours just to get out of there. Being flexible is being free...and that's what i like about travel
    That's amazing! I'm tempted on booking a flight to destination 'A' and another flight from destination 'B' and having to travel between the two taking life as it comes.

I've always had an urge to go to Sri Lanka since the boxing day tsunami. My friend only wants to travel for a month/6 weeks as she wants to be back for results day/some festivals she's already booked. Do you know how safe Sri lanka/India is for a lone female?

ReputationRep:
    My God - I've never seen so much truth spoken in my life!! I shall rep you for eons to come!!

Your post doesn't only apply to cash and whatnot - it also applies to those silly "do-gooders" young people (students) who go to places like Africa mostly and Asia in order to massage their white, fairly middle class fantasies of sophistication. What's worse is that these very same young persons would be "liberals". Sometimes I do think that many "liberals" themselves are subconsciously prejudiced to the point of being lightly and tacitly racist.

Bravo, my dear, bravo! :top:

ReputationRep:
    What is the average ISA paying at the mo?

1.5% Wow.

Even our government's absolutely undercooked super-optimistically underestimated inflation rate means that the money in your ISA...or any savings account...is decreasing in real terms.

£6k? I guess it depends if you consider that a life changing amount that you absolutely simply must hang onto or not...but i'd just spend it wisely...
    I'm getting 3%. It's a personal choice I've made, I can still afford to go on holiday later this year so I'm not missing out on the social life saving up sometimes reduces. If you can budget well and work part-time alongside uni you should be fine to save and still enjoy your summer. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, but I'm happy that I've not got an overdraft and am in the black when it comes to my bank balance, it'll make life easier after graduation if the jobs market is still this bad (which is highly likely).

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how safe Sri lanka/India is for a lone female?
    Never been, but i seem to recall it being one of Lonely Planet's 'hot picks for 2013'...for all that's worth.

1 way flights are all well and good. Just beware of the fact that you may need a return flight to enter some countries like Canada (i photoshopped mine)...and when you do want to come home, transcontinental 1-way flights are often more expensive than a return! Such is the price of freedom...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.