Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Were your parents married when you were born? - Research..please respond! Watch

ReputationRep:
    unmarried, still together married now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Remember this is 20 years ago, arguably coming towards the end of a time where it was practically socially unacceptable to get pregnant outside of marriage.
    I agree, its a shame its changed though :/

ReputationRep:
    Unmarried and split.

ReputationRep:
    Married and (unhappily!) still together.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Married and (also unhappily!) still together

ReputationRep:
    Unmarried (but now married) and still together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maik13)
    so glad alot of people have morals and marry before getting preggers
    I don't think that you really need to get married before having children to be honest, marriage is just a bit of paper and some rights at the end of the day.

My aunt and Uncle have been together for 20 odd years, have never gotten married but have 2 lovely children and a wonderful life...

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together. Had a shaky patch a couple years back when my mum packed up and left for a few days, but returned. I don't think their relationship was in genuinely serious trouble, though. It was more than that, she was upset at her lifestyle and how she felt we treated her as a whole family.

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    I don't think that you really need to get married before having children to be honest, marriage is just a bit of paper and some rights at the end of the day.

My aunt and Uncle have been together for 20 odd years, have never gotten married but have 2 lovely children and a wonderful life...
    they are one example, but if they are committed to each other, then why not get married so people are aware that they are a couple. If it is just a piece of a paper why not just get married if itll make no difference? When they aren't married,most of the time they don't last together due to cheating or so. I dont believe in sex out of marriage, why else has HIV/AIDS increased in the last 40-50 years.

ReputationRep:
    Married and spilt

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together.

ReputationRep:
    Married (while pregnant) and together.

There's a problem with your unmarried and split option though- how many of these were unplanned pregnancies extremely early on in relationships or even one night stands/short flings, relationships that probably wouldn't have lassted very long anyway? Some of these parents may have even been split by the time the child was born.

ReputationRep:
    Married and split. Remarried in the case of my Dad.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Unmarried when born, never married, split

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syrettd)
    Married (while pregnant) and together.

There's a problem with your unmarried and split option though- how many of these were unplanned pregnancies extremely early on in relationships or even one night stands/short flings, relationships that probably wouldn't have lassted very long anyway? Some of these parents may have even been split by the time the child was born.
    As much as I agree, I have to add that if people have one night stands or have short relationships why bring a child into the world, My parents were together for 10 years before splitting, 4 of those were before me (the first born to my dad) was born. Children should be made from love and not alcohol etc...
    Hope I'm not offending anyone, this is merely just my opinion x

ReputationRep:
    Not married. Still together :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Married then divorced.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.