Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you. And please when I'm buying my ticket. Manners cost nothing. I actually hate it when people get on/off the bus without even acknowledging or thanking the driver.

ReputationRep:
    I say hi...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Seriously? I always notice people say thank you and stuff...

That's how I made it a habit in the first place... Do I live in a different London? :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :zomg: Wow! I might hear the odd occasion of an elderly woman(it's always the elderly :mmm:) say thank you but where I am in London, unfortunately it's considered odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Maybe not where you are but my side of London says thanks more than not...

I always say thank you, accompanied with a wave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which part of London is this?? Far West (Ealing, Greenford etc.)??

(Original post by Bonoahx)
    When I use a bus in London, which is when I most use one, I don't dare to look into the driver's eyes in fear that they will say that you're being rude, I quickly get my Oyster card, touch it and quickly sit at the back and put my bag next to me, in case someone sits next to me. I never use the front doors to get off in case the driver looks at me again, and I quickly run off before anyone even notices I am gone.

When I use a bus elsewhere, I smile at the bus driver as I ask for my ticket, thank him for that, sit down, keep the chair next to me available, and say thank you as I walk off at the front doors.
    You're doing it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    You don't normally see the pilot of a plane, they are usually doing their checks at the start of the flight and unless your one of the last off the plane then you don't see him/her. People usually clap when they land I've found, so I guess that's the same as a thank you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People clap because the landing's tragic and everyone's relieved...otherwise it's pretty quiet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Bolton and in general, everyone thanks the bus driver up here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Which part of London is this?? Far West (Ealing, Greenford etc.)??

You're doing it right.
    Ealing yes... I guess it makes sense that in Ealing it would be considered normal :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Always do.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to thank them tbh, my experience with them is all but sour.

Be it when I'm running frantically for a bus I'm about to miss, and they wait until I get close to it before closing the doors and driving off

Or when I'm in a hail/ride section and I stick my arm out, and they decide to drive past anyway -

OR when they decide they want to wait at a bus stop for NO ****ING REASON, even though the service is keeping good time with the tracker system - just to finish a bloomin' Sudoku puzzle!

I'm sick of it. So glad I'm getting my driving licence soon...

In the words of Tinie Tempah, I'll get to "drive past the bus I used to run for"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.

On a side note, does anyone else find it really annoying when people don't pick up their litter on the bus -.- I was coming home from town when the seat across from me had so much litter on it. I've attached a photo and when I took it most of the empty bottles and stuff had fallen on the floor and rolled around by then, but still. The crisps were only half eaten and there was loads left in the packet and it's such a waste, take it with you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um no.. I don't . i feel bad about that.. but I don't always feel comfortable though infront of other strangers..

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much always, never taken the bus when I'm in Cambridge but where I live in Yorkshire everyone always says thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you to the bus driver when I get off
    I also hate the idiots that think it's perfectly fine to litter on the bus with all their rubbish and food. It's not nice for other people who may want to sit on that seat, to find it covered with crumbs and messy crap.

ReputationRep:
    I say cheers.

ReputationRep:
    What? Your double dockers have 2 doors? That's insane!!
    Makes it quicker for people to get on and off I suppose, though it does reduce the number of seats.

ReputationRep:
    always

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah. Why wouldn't you say thanks? Yall got cold hearts.

ReputationRep:
    I say thanks if it is a one door bus, ie I don't call out across the bus if I'm getting off the back dorrs.

ReputationRep:
    I do, most people tend to as well(that I have seen)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to a bus driver ?
    Living in london thats unheard of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.
    Yes, well London is like a different planet!
    You don't look or talk to somebody. If you do, people think you're weird.

Whereas smiling at somebody in the street or asking somebody 'it's a nice morning' is quite normal elsewhere in the UK!

Personally I always thank them when I'm on a bus, taxi etc- and when I'm in London I make an even stronger point of doing it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.