Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazingapunk)
    I was so excited to apply I waited up until midnight for applications to open to get in there fast! Made my first payment and got an interview on the 26th of August,SO NERVOUS. I applied for the campower role,seems absolutely everybody is going for the counsellor. Any tips for my interview?
    I don't any hints for the interview sorry (other than the generic be yourself, polite, friendly etc... stuff) but don't suppose you could tell how it goes? Thinking of applying for the same role but not sure what to expect. Do you have to make a video for it?

Good luck none the less

ReputationRep:
    HI I'm thinking of applying for Camp America or one of the other websites (can't decide which yet) I was just wondering how likely it is that you would be picked to go to one of the camps??? I've heard not everyone is accepted and I don't want to spend loads of money and not actually get a place and if you don't get a place do you get refunded???

Also can anyone recommend which one to go through??? I haven't got a skill which I'm really qualified at but I've been riding for years and I'd say I'm good at other stuff just haven't got qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll post how it goes, I'll just be myself then and trying to think of some things I can ask my interviewer once she has asked me all she needs to know. And becca94 I'm pretty sure you could have horse riding as your main skill and as long as you have knowledge and experience in other things them you can put them as a skill you need three minimum.

ReputationRep:
    I was so excited to apply I waited up until midnight for applications to open to get in there fast! Made my first payment and got an interview on the 26th of August,SO NERVOUS. I applied for the campower role,seems absolutely everybody is going for the counsellor. Any tips for my interview?
    Hey I'm going for the campower role as well please let me know how your interview went as I'm having one soon? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I get nervous about important things like that so I was absolutely terrified,sweaty palms the lot. It was in Costa coffee in London central,my interviewer was lovely and friendly called Katie Williams. First thing we did was go through my three forms of I.d and fill in a police check form. After that she got her Ipad out and asked me some pretty awkward questions which I had to think about a little. I can't really remember all of them but there was, how would you describe yourself in three words?,what is your speciality(I'm a chef btw),what would you make for a camp meal that they would never have tried before,what are your strong and weak points,would you be willing to work with kids doin a baking class if required,how many hours do you expect to work on a typical day(say 12 hours plus) just be really open minded and be willing to do more than just one particular job. Passed my interview anyways,so it must have went okay! I'll comment again if I remember any more questions she asked

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when you have to pay for Camp America by??? and you think its too late to apply now??? sorry for the 50 questions I just want to make sure of everything :P

ReputationRep:
    I get nervous about important things like that so I was absolutely terrified,sweaty palms the lot. It was in Costa coffee in London central,my interviewer was lovely and friendly called Katie Williams. First thing we did was go through my three forms of I.d and fill in a police check form. After that she got her Ipad out and asked me some pretty awkward questions which I had to think about a little. I can't really remember all of them but there was, how would you describe yourself in three words?,what is your speciality(I'm a chef btw),what would you make for a camp meal that they would never have tried before,what are your strong and weak points,would you be willing to work with kids doin a baking class if required,how many hours do you expect to work on a typical day(say 12 hours plus) just be really open minded and be willing to do more than just one particular job. Passed my interview anyways,so it must have went okay! I'll comment again if I remember any more questions she asked
    Thanks for the advice!! I'm doing my application at the moment really nervous about the interview haha!) and becca I don't think it'll be too late to apply now! I think the deadline is February it's just they recommend you do it early so you get a better chance at getting placed

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks Danielle, I tried to apply yesterday but it just wouldn't work some error message kept coming up so I was worried that I might have left it too late! I'm going to apply later and start my video as soon as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccac94)
    Okay thanks Danielle, I tried to apply yesterday but it just wouldn't work some error message kept coming up so I was worried that I might have left it too late! I'm going to apply later and start my video as soon as
    Who are you applying with? And good luck with it! Which company are you going with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellef116)
    Who are you applying with? And good luck with it! Which company are you going with?
    Camp America for on of the counseller roles, I know other companies are cheaper but they have a good reputation and are quite well known

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody who is applying for a counsellor role done their video yet? It's literally the only thing left that I have to do but i'm really struggling with it! Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavlaar)
    Has anybody who is applying for a counsellor role done their video yet? It's literally the only thing left that I have to do but i'm really struggling with it! Any ideas?
    I've literally only just been able to start my application due to it not letting me get on the website but I've started taking pictures and stuff, so I've just finished working in a petting farm over the summer so I've got pictures of me doing the talks, animal handling, pictures with kids etc.I think the main thing is just to be yourself on it but try and be lively and make them want to take you

Random question are earrings considered body piercings???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccac94)
    I've literally only just been able to start my application due to it not letting me get on the website but I've started taking pictures and stuff, so I've just finished working in a petting farm over the summer so I've got pictures of me doing the talks, animal handling, pictures with kids etc.I think the main thing is just to be yourself on it but try and be lively and make them want to take you

Random question are earrings considered body piercings???
    I wouldn't say they were but wouldnt be too sure.. Is there anyone doing a support role? Like not been a councillor? Also someone please help me with the video haha!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellef116)
    I wouldn't say they were but wouldnt be too sure.. Is there anyone doing a support role? Like not been a councillor? Also someone please help me with the video haha!!
    I didn't think they where, I'm think by body piercings they mean like nose and lip piercings but im just not sure :/ and no its for a counsellor role. Have you watched other ideas on YouTube??? That's what I've been doing to get inspiration

ReputationRep:
    Anyone started their video application? I haven't a clue where to start. I don't want it to be boring like a lot of videos like just talking or too many pictures and not enough talking. What's everyone thinking of doing to make it interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone started their video application? I haven't a clue where to start. I don't want it to be boring like a lot of videos like just talking or too many pictures and not enough talking. What's everyone thinking of doing to make it interesting?
    I will look on YouTube thank you! And I have done quite a bit of traveling so in wanting to put them pictures on my video but not sure what else to put or do or say in the video either? If you think of any other ideas please let me know

ReputationRep:
    Ahh got my interview on Saturday!! I'm pretty nervous, does anybody whose already had an interview have any tips for me?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavlaar)
    Ahh got my interview on Saturday!! I'm pretty nervous, does anybody whose already had an interview have any tips for me?!
    I had mine on Saturday, and there's absolutely nothing to be nervous about! It's more like an informal chat than anything else - mine was in the interviewer's home which put me at ease. We basically discussed why I wanted to do CA, what skills I had, what experience I had with children etc. The interviewer really helped me to improve my application for the best chance of placement which was nice! I'd prepare a few answers to some generic questions that most people seem to be asked - I was asked what I'd do with 40 children in a log cabin on a rainy day, how I'd deal with bullying, how I'd cope with children who were being difficult, what songs I'd sing round the campfire etc, which I've seen a lot of other people asked. I was also asked to do a (very very short) role play. Just be relaxed, confident and enthusiastic, I guess that's what they're looking for above all! Hope this helps a little bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahb94)
    I had mine on Saturday, and there's absolutely nothing to be nervous about! It's more like an informal chat than anything else - mine was in the interviewer's home which put me at ease. We basically discussed why I wanted to do CA, what skills I had, what experience I had with children etc. The interviewer really helped me to improve my application for the best chance of placement which was nice! I'd prepare a few answers to some generic questions that most people seem to be asked - I was asked what I'd do with 40 children in a log cabin on a rainy day, how I'd deal with bullying, how I'd cope with children who were being difficult, what songs I'd sing round the campfire etc, which I've seen a lot of other people asked. I was also asked to do a (very very short) role play. Just be relaxed, confident and enthusiastic, I guess that's what they're looking for above all! Hope this helps a little bit
    Ahh you're amazing! Thanks so much for that, I definitely feel better about my interview i'll post how it goes here for everyone else who needs help!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I had a call from the camp America office in London yesterday asking me whether I would change to the counsellor programme because I'm not going to university but doing an a level equivalent at college. So annoyed now,I've never worked with kids and I don't need that type of experience for what I want to do in the future. Help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.