Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boys, could you ever fancy a plain/unattractive girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    what an oxymoronic title.

the thing is OP you've got it the other way round the person you fancy will be attractive to you. So she might be "plain and unattractive" to everyone but the person who likes her will think she's beautiful.
    Aww, that's the cutest thing I have seen/ heard a guy say about love in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    Well, people say Matt Smith is hot but I think it's the way he behaves mainly and also girls who find Cumberbatch attractive generally always say that he is not physically attractive but that his voice is nice and his whole manner is attractive. I don't know why It must be hormones
    Maybe not compared to the likes of Brad Pitt, but compared to the average guy on the street? They are good looking guys. They have portrayed confident men on screen, I mean Sherlock may not be a typical sex symbol but he's incredibly smart, confident and self assured, and women love that. But still, saying "Cumberbatch is not physically attractive" sounds very harsh.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is atrractive to someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    Maybe not compared to the likes of Brad Pitt, but compared to the average guy on the street? They are good looking guys. They have portrayed confident men on screen, I mean Sherlock may not be a typical sex symbol but he's incredibly smart, confident and self assured, and women love that. But still, saying "Cumberbatch is not physically attractive" sounds very harsh.
    Personally, I think both Benedict Cumberbatch and Matt Smith are more attractive than Brad Pitt but that maybe because they are much closer to my age than Brad Pitt. I am not saying they are bad looking but they are not conventionally handsome and if they were not famous and I saw them on the street, I would not look twice. I think as well as Sherlock being confident, he is mysterious and unusual in character or at least he is portrayed that way and that is what so many of my friends love about him. I am not saying Cumberbatch is not physically attractive but some people have said that and as there are different measures of attractiveness for each and every individual, it is hard to say but what they probably meant was conventionally attractive. Please do not be offended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    Aww, that's the cutest thing I have seen/ heard a guy say about love in real life.
    Thank you? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    Thank you? :pierre:
    Ha, it's a good thing. Be happy about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    But women are less attracted to looks than guys are, so ...
    If you say so. I don't believe the whole men are from Mars, women are from Venus thing. I think the difference is in what people think members of the opposite sex like.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Personality matters more than looks

ReputationRep:
    Looks are just as important as personality, so no I couldn't be attracted to someone I think is ugly

ReputationRep:
    My perspective is that if you are conventionally attractive there is a larger number of 'dating partners' available, but the majority are casual and unlikely to be more than a friend that you enjoy doing sexual things with. Asking a group of young boys isn't asking those in the mind frame of I WANT UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. And there is no such thing as universally unattractive, it's just that a connection causes you to see more than meets the eyes of others and accept/love/ignore societally considerd physical defects.

Basically, it doesn't matter what boys online think or say, strangers can't predict how your crush feels but if you feel a 'spark' with him that's a sign he must be interested in you.

Also, bear in mind you are not objectively judging your own appearance, most people consider themselves plain. Everyone deserves to feel good about themselves, so don't be too hard on yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I've been attracted to a guy that wasn't "attractive" at all before. I pined over him for months... He didn't even have such a great personality (he was a bit of a whiner ) but he was pretty nice and I don't know, we just clicked.
    Shyness and awkwardness can be cute too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voltozonic)
    Even though about 99% of females would disagree, from what i've seen in life I think women are a lot more fussy about the way they want there partner to look than vice versa. Perhaps women feel they deserve a more attractive man due to how much effort they put into their appearance ?
    The appearance statement isn't correct, well from my opinion anyway. There's pretty large list of how a girl ranks a guy and most of the time it has nothing to do with looks. This is what you will mostly find from girls at university:

Is the guy:

Funny = no.

Does he have a good personality = no.

Is he attract a lot of attention from individuals = no.

Does he make you laugh = no

---NO RELATIONSHIP---

Is he attractive = yes.

Is he hot = yes.

Can i imagine ****ing him = yes.

---ONS/FB/FWB---

Relationshipwise a part of it also has to do with what they can brag about especially with their friends. The girls universe is full of *****iness, back-handed compliments and competing. Girls will compared their boyfriends:

Looks
    How they are in bed
    How they effect them emotionally
    How much money the guy earns
    **** size
    if he's fun

Relating to the OP's question...hell yes. Infact there's a girl here at my university that a girl from our group recently introduced us too. She's not that attractive but her personality is awesome as ****, she's an incredibly interesting person and has confidence to boot. We hang around a lot of "I NEED DRAMA/CONSTANT ATTENTION TO LIKE YOU" girls at our university and meeting a girl who can simply chill/have a laugh with especially if its surprising due to not being the best looking is incredibly attractive.

All the bois are chasing her at the moment. She's had 4 separate dates in the past 2 weeks compared to the hot girls who only really get talked to when us boys wanna get laid easily.

Being interesting is so much more important then being hot. We have a friend who's air hostess friend comes to visit and this girl is really fit, hair, face, body. All trumps but A) She's so up her own arse its unbelievable B) SHE IS SO BORING. She just stands there at a party/clu and looks miserable if she isn't getting chatted up.

ReputationRep:
    If your friends and others said that they were plain looking/ugly and you were going out with them, you wouldn't say that they were plain/ugly as you'd find them attractive. You wouldn't go out with someone who you thought was ugly as there has to be some attraction in it, you'd just be friends if they had a good personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porkchop)
    I'm going to be straight with you.

Hell. No.
    Ask them if they would date you, first.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, one man's plain is another man's dream.

ReputationRep:
    Damn sure could :cute: As long as they are loyal and interesting, also funny.

ReputationRep:
    I think the key is that everybody has a slightly different view of attractiveness.

I think it is possible to to be attracted to someone based on their personality more than their physical appearance. Also I think it's down to personality that relationships last or don't.

I am the ugliest person I know and my husband still married me so it must be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Say there's a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly girl. If you liked her personality, and she was smiley, happy and chatty around you (but very shy around others), could you ever fancy her?

Or is she completely off limits because of her looks?

(I'm guessing the answer is yes, but humour me).
    I dunno why but I seem to have a preference for plain girls? Like I really like someone who's really nice, genuine and maybe because of what I've seen irl and on fb, I have a preference?

As a massive generalisation, you can get away with being a pretty horrible person if you're really attractive (guy or girl) People will still gravitate towards you. Most of us don't get to do that (Not that most of us would want to do that)

Besides, the science somewhat agrees:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/roger-c...b_1705663.html

It's not that guys wouldn't go out with them just because they're not attracted to them...It's just we have an ego thing. We feel like gods if we've got a stunner on our side. I mean why shouldn't we? People give us more respect and admire us , we even get treated better. On the other hand , if we're seen with well , a munter , then the average lad on the street is gonna think of us as a loser who can't score a good girl. It brings down self esteem and ego. That's the worst thing for guys.

I think that's why girls aren't nearly as bothered about looks. For one , people don't judge them based on the attractiveness of their partner , for example the guy could have an extremely well paying job or be the funniest guy around. Also girls don't have anywhere near a big or protected ego as guys do.

I always feel sorry for ugly girls...The fact is that it's near on impossible to get a good-looking , well-paid guy to go out with you unless you're an attractive woman. On the flip side , attractive women probably have it even better than attractive guys , they can go out with and marry some rich guy and spend their days on a sunbed getting a foot massage. I'm happy that I'm considered an attractive guy. But I'd rather be an attractive girl . But average guy over average girl any day of the week

ReputationRep:
    there are plenty of plain/unattractive people that are in relationships/married.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.