The Student Room Group

Why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is the most overrated player in recent times.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
Evidence, please.

I don't know, any internet poll will have too many idiots voting in it for it to matter and theres few articles from credible writers regarding the top players of all time.

http://footballpantheon.com/2011/09/the-100-greatest-players-of-all-time/12/
http://www.tibsnews.com/top-10s/the-ten-greatest-footballers-of-all-time/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/20943498

Are you really dismissing maradona from possibly being the best of all time?
Reply 61
Original post by xxbradkennedyxx
I don't know, any internet poll will have too many idiots voting in it for it to matter and theres few articles from credible writers regarding the top players of all time.

What you mean is that you couldn't find a credible writer backing you up?

And no, I'm not remotely dismissing the possibility that Maradonna could be the best of all time, but I do not think that it's the opinion of "most".
Original post by pane123
What you mean is that you couldn't find a credible writer backing you up?

And no, I'm not remotely dismissing the possibility that Maradonna could be the best of all time, but I do not think that it's the opinion of "most".

What credible writers are there around? the likes of Michael Cox have written nothing about the subject, can you find me a large number of credible writers that think he isn't?

I don't see what you're being so pedantic about anyway, even if he is seen behind pele or messi he's certainly seen in the top 3 and still completely backs up my original point.
Reply 63
What credible writers are there around? the likes of Michael Cox have written nothing about the subject, can you find me a large number of credible writers that think he isn't?

I'm afraid that's not how it works.
ronaldo is the greediest most overrated player ever. people talk about his many goals, he dosent score them himself, goals have to be created, the game dosent just kickoff with the ball at your feet about to score, the team have to earn the right to create the chance, thats why creative players are important and ronaldo benefits from having many creative players assisting him all through every game he has ever played. ronaldo, has little vision, his passing is woeful, his crossing is almost non existant, yet he plays on the wing, but unlike most wingers his final ball is terrible, he panics and dosent know how to weight a cross, his passing is similar, he struggles with the timing of his pass and sometimes is left looking like a clown when he passes behind a teammate instead of to his feet or for him to run on to.

if you want to talk about stats as people do when they defend ronaldo, heres one. ronaldos manutd scored a lot fewer goals that the man utd team who came before or after, its man utds goals which are important not ronaldos as football is a team game, obviously building a team around one player hinders the team itself. i prefer to see german players who were so succesful with bayern recently and who won the world cup get more recognition than ronaldo, they are team players, play for one another, make chances for one another and make better decisions, which benefit the team, ronaldo by contrast never looks comfortable on the ball in big tournaments, hes never been anywhere near the best player at any euro or world cup simply because he cant grab the game and affect it the same way he can at club level, as hes up against better defences, has to be more creative himself, which is a problem when he cant pass well.

in the 2014 world cup he showboats but ends up beating no one while germany play it simple beating the tightest of defences with 2 or 3 simple well timed passes, thats why germany are the world champions and ronaldos portugal have went downhill since they changed their system to suit him.

ronaldos a great finisher, nothing else, if he could pass a ball, cross a ball or read the game he would be an incredible footballer, those who think hes an incredible footballer need to ask yourself, would you call a guy who couldnt wire a plug an incredible electrician, no you wouldnt if he couldnt do the basics, yet ronaldo cant do the basics well at times, but that is overlooked. football is a team game and ronaldo is not a team player.

i find it cringeworthy that the media in general havent the guts to ask ronaldo about his poor passing and crossing or even comment on it yet every other player bar messi gets severe critisism for making simple errors or for not having the technical skill to pass or cross.
(edited 9 years ago)
16 goals in 8 La Liga games. 17 goals in the Champions League last season. Absolutely ridiculously good.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
16 goals in 8 La Liga games. 17 goals in the Champions League last season. Absolutely ridiculously good.

Yet most of his goals count for nothing in terms of his team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's been the best over the last 18 months.
Original post by ZSHNZ
Yet most of his goals count for nothing in terms of his team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? That doesn't make much sense. Of course a team needs their top goal scorer.
Original post by berttheplumber
ronaldo is the greediest most overrated player ever. people talk about his many goals, he dosent score them himself, goals have to be created, the game dosent just kickoff with the ball at your feet about to score, the team have to earn the right to create the chance, thats why creative players are important and ronaldo benefits from having many creative players assisting him all through every game he has ever played. ronaldo, has little vision, his passing is woeful, his crossing is almost non existant, yet he plays on the wing, but unlike most wingers his final ball is terrible, he panics and dosent know how to weight a cross, his passing is similar, he struggles with the timing of his pass and sometimes is left looking like a clown when he passes behind a teammate instead of to his feet or for him to run on to.

if you want to talk about stats as people do when they defend ronaldo, heres one. ronaldos manutd scored a lot fewer goals that the man utd team who came before or after, its man utds goals which are important not ronaldos as football is a team game, obviously building a team around one player hinders the team itself. i prefer to see german players who were so succesful with bayern recently and who won the world cup get more recognition than ronaldo, they are team players, play for one another, make chances for one another and make better decisions, which benefit the team, ronaldo by contrast never looks comfortable on the ball in big tournaments, hes never been anywhere near the best player at any euro or world cup simply because he cant grab the game and affect it the same way he can at club level, as hes up against better defences, has to be more creative himself, which is a problem when he cant pass well.

in the 2014 world cup he showboats but ends up beating no one while germany play it simple beating the tightest of defences with 2 or 3 simple well timed passes, thats why germany are the world champions and ronaldos portugal have went downhill since they changed their system to suit him.

ronaldos a great finisher, nothing else, if he could pass a ball, cross a ball or read the game he would be an incredible footballer, those who think hes an incredible footballer need to ask yourself, would you call a guy who couldnt wire a plug an incredible electrician, no you wouldnt if he couldnt do the basics, yet ronaldo cant do the basics well at times, but that is overlooked. football is a team game and ronaldo is not a team player.

i find it cringeworthy that the media in general havent the guts to ask ronaldo about his poor passing and crossing or even comment on it yet every other player bar messi gets severe critisism for making simple errors or for not having the technical skill to pass or cross.

This is the worst post on the internet ever.
Original post by berttheplumber

I stopped reading after the bold part.

Goals don't have to be created.

Terrible post. Try again.
The post would only have some sort of credence of Ronaldo was a complete tap-in merchant, but he's not. He's an incredible footballer. No player, no matter how much they rely on others to set them up, is not a top player if they're constantly scoring more goals than games they play in. He's superb and it's ridiculous to try and say otherwise.
Ronaldo is one of the greatest footballers of all time. And a few years or so after he retires all we will hear is what a LEGEND he was. He will be compared to the likes of pele and zidane and all the other greats before him. We will speak about all of his accomplishments and unparalleled qualities which made him truly a great footballer.

I believe that the only reason for the opinion you have is because you have something against his personality or the clubs he has played for.

And because of this you have dampened your opinion of a player who is nothing short of superlative.
Reply 73
I personally feel ronaldo is the best football player I have witnessed to play the sport, I don't have memories of all these greats, but I almost feel like the competition wasn't as strong back thne as it is now, and considering that ronaldo is doing exceptional and IS the best person to play the game..

Messi is a great player, however, I feel ronaldo is slightly better... People may say ronaldo's passing is not that great, but i find it incredible some of the passes he pulls off and is easily capable of being one of the best playmakers out their, his speed, stength and aeriel ability are incredible making him superior to messi in my opinion, His ability to decide a game is fundamental... People may say he is selfish, but i feel that was more in his earlier years and these days he is as good as it gets in terms of reality and ability to decide... He is both able to play a incredible pass, or dribbler with his flair through defenders.. which is deadly in the sport, The moment he gets the ball on a counter attack the game is changed instantly because of his ability to do both! He has defenders rush at him carelessly leaving pockets of space for his team-mates, or he will beat the defenders solely depending on the situation... The amount of fear his presence brings to the opposing side along is something to consider.... I feel a lot more defenders would rather mark the likes of neymar, messi, suarez, hazard, reus, ribery , robben than that of ronaldo...
I agree.

Incredible poacher. Not much else.
Ronaldo is a tap in merchant atm but I feel that's just him changing his game. Same way Messi has changed his game past few years due to injury etc.
I just think that he was able to shine so much because he was part of a really weak generation in football, Messi and Iniesta aside I don t see too many great players. I see very very talented players, but talent does'n t always translate in greatness (Ozil, Robben, Ibraimovic, Van Persie, Sneijder, Ribery, Benzema, Dimaría, Aguero, Mata, Silva and so on) That is probably a great merit, that he and Messi are more regular and consistent at club level than these others guys.

His finishing skills (both feet and head) are superb, he could compete with great 9s (Romario, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Henry, Van Nistelroy, Jairzihno, Rossi, Raúl and so on) His speed and power are great, with space on the pitch he can be very difficult to deal with.

However his skills with the ball are overrated, his goal average on free kicks and shots from outside the box is lousy, right now out of 100 shots he just scored 2 goals on free kicks, his dribble relies to much on speed, without space to use his speed, his dribble is not good enough to beat tight marks (at least not against top teams with quality defenders) it is a flashy dribble but not very effective, Messi does'n t need space to make his dribbling skills beat defenders, he can loose tight marks in a very short space, Cristiano Ronaldo struggles when he has no space to run with the ball.

And at last, his playmaking skills are NON EXISTENT, he doesn t have that quality, that many great players had (Maradona, Rivelino, Riquelme, Pele, Cruyff, Zidane, Laudrup, Bergkamp, Messi, Baggio, Best, Platini, Zico, Socrates, Gullit, Del Piero, Totti and so on - I don't mean to put all of these players in the same level, they just have much better playmaking ability than Cristiano Ronaldo) he doesn't have the creativity to build up plays for the team, or the intelligence to read the match and create chances for his teammates, he plays solo, he can make an assist here and there after running solo for 10 or 25 meters, that does not mean he has playmaking ability.

So I agree with you. He is Overrated, but to be fair many players are nowadays.
Reply 77
Original post by maquina78
I just think that he was able to shine so much because he was part of a really weak generation in football, Messi and Iniesta aside I don t see too many great players. I see very very talented players, but talent does'n t always translate in greatness (Ozil, Robben, Ibraimovic, Van Persie, Sneijder, Ribery, Benzema, Dimaría, Aguero, Mata, Silva and so on) That is probably a great merit, that he and Messi are more regular and consistent at club level than these others guys.

His finishing skills (both feet and head) are superb, he could compete with great 9s (Romario, Van Basten, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Henry, Van Nistelroy, Jairzihno, Rossi, Raúl and so on) His speed and power are great, with space on the pitch he can be very difficult to deal with.

However his skills with the ball are overrated, his goal average on free kicks and shots from outside the box is lousy, right now out of 100 shots he just scored 2 goals on free kicks, his dribble relies to much on speed, without space to use his speed, his dribble is not good enough to beat tight marks (at least not against top teams with quality defenders) it is a flashy dribble but not very effective, Messi does'n t need space to make his dribbling skills beat defenders, he can loose tight marks in a very short space, Cristiano Ronaldo struggles when he has no space to run with the ball.

And at last, his playmaking skills are NON EXISTENT, he doesn t have that quality, that many great players had (Maradona, Rivelino, Riquelme, Pele, Cruyff, Zidane, Laudrup, Bergkamp, Messi, Baggio, Best, Platini, Zico, Socrates, Gullit, Del Piero, Totti and so on - I don't mean to put all of these players in the same level, they just have much better playmaking ability than Cristiano Ronaldo) he doesn't have the creativity to build up plays for the team, or the intelligence to read the match and create chances for his teammates, he plays solo, he can make an assist here and there after running solo for 10 or 25 meters, that does not mean he has playmaking ability.

So I agree with you. He is Overrated, but to be fair many players are nowadays.

agreed
Reply 78
strong bump

http://footballpantheon.com/2011/09/the-100-greatest-players-of-all-time/12/
http://www.tibsnews.com/top-10s/the-ten-greatest-footballers-of-all-time/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/20943498

Are you really dismissing maradona from possibly being the best of all time?

dismissing maradona would disqualify any poll instantly

Quick Reply

Latest