Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even realise people were different sizes until I was about 12... There was one girl at primary school that was huge but I never saw her as fat, just big in general. More needs to be done to combat body problems (obesity, anorexia) but likewise more needs to be done to make people become more accepting of their bodies. They shouldn't need compliments to affirm their thinness or attractiveness, and I'm sick of seeing on covers of magazines photos of stupid celebrities in bikinis, either having put on or lost weight. There's too much emphasis on image but it shouldn't be at the forefront of our society unless it is causing a health problem. More emphasis should be put on academic role models instead of "plus-sized" or skinny models.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Yeah, the RI sizing is awful. It's not consistently small or big, which is frustrating. It just varies hugely from garment to garment.
    That's the same for the H! by Henry Holland range. Their size 8 bottoms hang off me but I'm normally a size 14 in their tops, and I am far from top heavy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss G)
    This is a rant.
    I HATE this hypocrisy. The other day I was with my friend whom I hadn't seen in a while, and we were looking for Prom dresses. So, I told her I was trying to lose some weight, since I didn't want to be fat anymore, and I wanted to look back at my Prom pictures and see a beautiful girl. Her response was:

'Oh, but it's just the media that's making you think you need to be skinny! That's not REALISTIC! Real women have curves.'

I mean, sure curves are nice, but rolls of fat do not = curves in my opinion. And women are women despite the fact that they may not be Beyonce. And stuff like that is REALLY mean. Do people really think that skinny people have no feelings?? I mean, my really skinny friend once saw a photo that had a skinny girl and a curvy girl, and it was something along the lines of, 'real women have curves'. She just smiled sadly and said 'That's true, they do.' Why should she be made to feel like less of a person? I get that fat people get the same treatment, but why fight it with more bullying?

I think we need less of 'it's okay, you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful just the way you are' and a little bit more tough love. You don't need to conform to media standards, but the moment you become overweight, you know something's wrong.

Rant over.
    good luck losing that weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    The only women who say things like "real women have curves" are insecure women who are trying to convince themselves they're happy being the size they are, despite starting a new fad diet that consists of peas, water and dust every 3 weeks.
    Haha! So true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    Ultimately, only those with weight problems can do something about it and if they don't want to, well it's their life isn't it?
    It is their life but being overweight has an effect on other people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Remember there is wearing ease. If you put someone with a 30" waist into a pair of trousers with no elasticity which measured exactly 30" they'd be quite uncomfortable. So some of that difference is the ease.

(Google 'dressmaking ease' or 'tailoring ease' for more information)
    I probably didn't make as much sense as I could've there. I meant I'd had a 34" waist (say, I forget exact measurements at the time), and was wearing a pair of shorts labelled '30" waist'. Actual measurements I grant you won't match the waist size!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    Stupid sayings like "big is beautiful" when did this all start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's PC. Like we also call terrorists law abiding citizens.

ReputationRep:
    That sums it up perfectly, a healthy girl being criticised and an overweight girl being praised, how does that happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is one of the reasons obesity is on the rise and will continue to rise. Until there is a change in mentality nationwide, people will just continue getting bigger and bigger.

Having the desire and taking the initiative to improve oneself is seen as 'vain' and what's the other one again.. oh "spending your life pumping iron in the gym" whereas, if you don't look after your body and health you are "a beautiful, real woman."

It's pretty dumb. It's not even the size misjudgements and subjective definitions of 'curvy' that pisses me off, but rather the fact that there are people out there promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. Do they not see how ****ing dangerous that is?

I feel sorry for the state of this country and the US by the end of this decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    This is one of the reasons obesity is on the rise and will continue to rise. Until there is a change in mentality nationwide, people will just continue getting bigger and bigger.

Having the desire and taking the initiative to improve oneself is seen as 'vain' and what's the other one again.. oh "spending your life pumping iron in the gym" whereas, if you don't look after your body and health you are "a beautiful, real woman."

It's pretty dumb. It's not even the size misjudgements and subjective definitions of 'curvy' that pisses me off, but rather the fact that there are people out there promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. Do they not see how ****ing dangerous that is?
    I feel sorry for the state of this country and the US by the end of this decade.
    This, really. I cannot comprehend why there is a stigma against a concern with one's appearance, and there is an encouragement of 'loving yourself the way you are'. No doubt I'm going to be misinterpreted by a lot of people here, so let me presage that and try and counter it immediately.

I do not believe that bullying is ever acceptable, and I believe that it is both dangerous and reprehensible to suggest that every single male should look like *insert ideal male figure here* and every female should look like either the catwalk model or Alessandra Ambrosio. However, phrases like 'real women have curves' or 'love yourself the way you are' propagate, as you've rightly pointed out, a dangerous culture that implies that 'the way you are' is something immutable, which in turn prevents people from taking difficult but necessary steps that will improve their health, quality of life, and self-esteem.

I also agree that there are few phrases more ridiculous than 'real woman' (though another has to be 'real man').

ReputationRep:
    I completely sympathise with people who are obese through medical conditions, being over fed as a child you can overcome. But why is we don't tell overweight people to lose weight rather than trying to make them feel like they're so beautiful. I didn't complain about underweight girls because I think being ridiculously skinny is already quite stigmatised
    We would try and sugar coat it for them, but they might eat that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    swear warning
    Attachment 208149

(Original post by Popppppy)
    Do you think that girl with the 6 pack is attractive?

Personally I don't find either of them attractive but if I had to chose I'd pick the larger girl, the muscley girl in my opinion looks gross.

I think the larger but toned figures of Beyonce and Katy Perry are the nicest.
    The point is that someone who has worked hard for their body is being criticised and not accepted for their body shape yet someone who has done **** all is getting applauded (not to mention congratulated for living an unhealthy lifestyle).

It's hypocritical to say fat people should be comfortable with their weight/body size then call someone who isn't fat ugly and disgusting. The people commenting on that aren't taking into consideration that they're showing confidence to expose their bodies as well as the overweight girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    swear warning
    Attachment 208149
    I'd like to think that things like this are anomalies, confined to the vacuum of vacuity that is Facebook, but I assume you'll tell me this sort of occurrence is common? In any case, PRSOM...

(Original post by Miss G)
    This is a rant.
    I HATE this hypocrisy. The other day I was with my friend whom I hadn't seen in a while, and we were looking for Prom dresses. So, I told her I was trying to lose some weight, since I didn't want to be fat anymore, and I wanted to look back at my Prom pictures and see a beautiful girl. Her response was:

'Oh, but it's just the media that's making you think you need to be skinny! That's not REALISTIC! Real women have curves.'

I mean, sure curves are nice, but rolls of fat do not = curves in my opinion. And women are women despite the fact that they may not be Beyonce. And stuff like that is REALLY mean. Do people really think that skinny people have no feelings?? I mean, my really skinny friend once saw a photo that had a skinny girl and a curvy girl, and it was something along the lines of, 'real women have curves'. She just smiled sadly and said 'That's true, they do.' Why should she be made to feel like less of a person? I get that fat people get the same treatment, but why fight it with more bullying?

I think we need less of 'it's okay, you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful just the way you are' and a little bit more tough love. You don't need to conform to media standards, but the moment you become overweight, you know something's wrong.

Rant over.
    The last paragraph is excellent, I would +1 if I were able to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anime Lover)
    Seriously? XD Maybe we're buying the wrong things! All of their skirts just hang off me but their sizes might vary on both sides of the spectrum. They're definitely inaccurate sizes, whether they're over or under what the actual size should be
    Maybe! Haha. Yeah their skirts are the same with me. There's no logic to their sizes whatsoever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Ignore the point made then.

Marilyn Monroe is/was slim and her bum is no more "curvy" than the bum of any woman her size. Yes it is quite flat considering she's being called curvy every 5 minutes. Not sure why you're getting so wound up.
    I'm not getting wound up, but you have a misunderstanding of what curvy is. You can be curvy and not have a big bum. It's all about WHR, silly. And do you have an issue with me being a 6/8? :bootyshake:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Maybe! Haha. Yeah their skirts are the same with me. There's no logic to their sizes whatsoever!
    Yeah, I just buy stuff based on how big it looks now rather than the size on the label XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I think that for thousands of years and across a variety of countries and continents big was beautiful. It's the notion that thin is beautiful that's the comparatively recent arrival.
    We did learn in psychology that to be bigger was once a sign of beauty as it suggested wealth and higher status in society because poor people were thin. In this society it's become vice versa. Being overweight is a sign of a lack of control, lack of understanding of health (and possible education) and is common among more deprived areas. I wouldn't necessarily suggest it was better back then, because you'd get the majority of people starving and struggling for food and then the elite few who ate feasts and so fat was a symbolic of being attractive. Which was kind of sick really. And in this day and age we have a better understanding of health it wouldn't be right to say obese is beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    We would try and sugar coat it for them, but they might eat that too.
    haha be nice.

(Original post by KingMessi)
    I'd like to think that things like this are anomalies, confined to the vacuum of vacuity that is Facebook, but I assume you'll tell me this sort of occurrence is common? In any case, PRSOM...
    One of my "friends" on facebook shared the overweight girl's pic yesterday. It has 250,000 likes, 60,000 shares and 45,000 comments all along the lines of "omg big is beautiful! real woman! x"

But I reckon people act and think very differently than facebook would lead you to believe...I bet most of the people commenting have judged a fat person at least once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Sizes were slightly different back then (14 is a 12 now, according to my history teacher) and I believe she lost weight when that photo was taken, probably for the media's benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're in denial. Everyone knows she was nothing like a size 14. Sorry. People who see her dresses in a museum say how tiny they are.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was actually thinking this recently. I think its swung to far one way and now girls that are naturally skinny without big hips or boobs etc are presented as some sort of example of an unappealing body as opposed to a bigger girl with boobs and hips all over the show. There's nothing wrong with either.

ReputationRep:
    Some people like coddling fatties; they say there's more to coddle :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.