The Student Room Group

Minutes silence for Thatcher

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
Some people do follow such things because they are firmly on the bandwagon. Sorry but that's the truth. And you might hate her for some of the things she did but it is quite a step to go from disliking her or hating her to all out celebrating her death. To do that you either really really hate her and with good reason or you're tagging a long. It's quite different to hating Aparteid, Hitler, or Stalin.

No one said anything about celebrating he death on this thread. No one.
I said I hate her for her political actions, I do not condone celebrating anyone's death.

It's not a bandwagon. No more than hating Hitler is jumping on a bandwagon.
Original post by Bornblue
Think youre being naive solely blaming the police. The govt knew it was their fault yet blamed the liverpool fans.

I'm not naive - I just don't understand how the government could be held responsible for a decision that was taken out by a sub-thread of the government - the police.

Thatcher didn't issue instructions for them to pen the Liverpool fans, nor did she ask that the chief superintendent open the doors as another way in.

The govt. just went on what the police told them. Are you suggesting that the govt. enquiry looking into this looked at both sides of evidence; then deliberately threw out the evidence supporting that the police could have been to blame?

Unless I'm being really thick, or perhaps naive is a better word - I can't see how the government is to blame for this, when the chief superintendent ordered for the gate to be open; as well as police guiding them to the wrong end of the pitch to an area far smaller than needed to accomodate the Liverpool fans.

Do enlighten me, I'm at a loss here.
I think OP is right in the fact that football and politics must not mix. I can see the good intentions of those who proposed the minutes silence. But let's not forget the horrendous effects Thatcherism brought on many parts of our country.

Also, IMO, a minutes silence for Barroness Thatcher would only result in more disrespect for the Baroness as it offers a perfect opportunity for extremists against Thatchersim to deploy more protest against the Baroness.

I do not encourage nor do I like the disrespect Baroness Thatcher has received upon her death. It makes me feel quite sad, even if I didn't agree with her policies. Lets not forget, she was a real woman, with a real family who gave her real love.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chad_Bronson
I'm not naive - I just don't understand how the government could be held responsible for a decision that was taken out by a sub-thread of the government - the police.

Thatcher didn't issue instructions for them to pen the Liverpool fans, nor did she ask that the chief superintendent open the doors as another way in.

The govt. just went on what the police told them. Are you suggesting that the govt. enquiry looking into this looked at both sides of evidence; then deliberately threw out the evidence supporting that the police could have been to blame?

Unless I'm being really thick, or perhaps naive is a better word - I can't see how the government is to blame for this, when the chief superintendent ordered for the gate to be open; as well as police guiding them to the wrong end of the pitch to an area far smaller than needed to accomodate the Liverpool fans.

Do enlighten me, I'm at a loss here.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/09/13/hillsborough-was-it-thatcher-s-fault
The government failed, blamed the Liverpool fans and refused to take any responsibility.
Original post by Bornblue
No one said anything about celebrating he death on this thread. No one.
I said I hate her for her political actions, I do not condone celebrating anyone's death.

It's not a bandwagon. No more than hating Hitler is jumping on a bandwagon.

Well I'm talking about the celebrations of her death, because those same bandwagon jumpers who hate her are the same sort that are attending the parties to celebrate.
I'm not saying all of those who hate Thatcher are bandwagon jumpers I'm saying some of them are.
About 150,000 die everyday. I don't see why one woman, totally unrelated to the sport should get a minutes silence all to herself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending