Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gang rape victim kills herself - how do we punish? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why it is OK to kill an ant and not humans like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorh)
    no, you need a guilty conviction to apply any form of punishment.

not really, how about the first step of not assuming they are guilty, just because someone killed themselves doesn't mean everything they said is true. Don't get me wrong i am not arguing the fact it looks like they did it, and if it looks like a pig and squeels like a pig it's probably a pig. BUT we should ensure that they recieve a fair chance to defend themselves against these accusations without outside tampering because some people feel they are already guilty. Once a fair judgement has been passed then an appropriate punishment should be allocated, if society as a whole feels the punsihment is too light then we the people should act and make it known we want stricter punishments. personally i think if you are going to pass judgement having moral highground in which you are not condemning them to similar or worse situations is favourable as you would no longer be any better than they are. but if society feels differently then that should be the punishment they recieve.
    You only say you need a guilty conviction because that's what you were taught. The current Judicial System is corrupt and unjust, therefore people should take matters into their own hands

ReputationRep:
    They should be punished for the raping only. They didn't make her kill herself, some people have killed themselves when fired or dumped, but their former employers or ex partners aren't to blame

ReputationRep:
    Rapists generally don't take pics of a crime and then show everyone to get them selves sent to prison.

I am guessing she willingly shagged them...then claimed rape after everyone called her a slut...clearly her friends and classmates know what happened and thus why they shunned her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    Rapists generally don't take pics of a crime and then show everyone to get them selves sent to prison.

I am guessing she willingly shagged them...then claimed rape after everyone called her a slut...clearly her friends and classmates know what happened and thus why they shunned her.
    And you are a prime example of rape culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrupbear)
    And you are a prime example of rape culture.
    You are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake-inator)
    You only say you need a guilty conviction because that's what you were taught. The current Judicial System is corrupt and unjust, therefore people should take matters into their own hands
    And i think whatever you choose to do is corrupt, unjust and unethical. so i should take it into my hands to punish you? I really don't see how needing to be sure without reasonable doubt is a failing system ofcourse we could improve our system but if you are going to sentence someone to something with such large reprecussions we would need to be sure why. it's not like they are going to get 50 hours community service if they are convicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorh)
    And i think whatever you choose to do is corrupt, unjust and unethical. so i should take it into my hands to punish you? I really don't see how needing to be sure without reasonable doubt is a failing system ofcourse we could improve our system but if you are going to sentence someone to something with such large reprecussions we would need to be sure why. it's not like they are going to get 50 hours community service if they are convicted.
    Exactly. The presumption of innocence and the requirement for proof beyond reasonable doubt to prove doubt is one aspect of the justice system I can't find fault with. In fact my main issues with the justice system come about when this is not held to, or thought to be an inconvenience.

An accusation is NEVER proof of guilt, the reason we have courts, and jury's is so that we can assertion a) whether an accusation is genuine and b) whether the accused is innocent or guilty.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the copious amounts of coke can cocks theyll be receiving into their rectums in jail for the next couple of decades should be suffiecient to show them the error of their ways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.