Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Physics Unit 3 9th May Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think question on Multimeter will come?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muf_mur)
    hope these help
    Thanks, they should help out lots.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think there will also be one question on digital multimeters seeing as it has come up in most papers so far

ReputationRep:
    Other such consistent topics include:
    Electrical circuits (emf graphs, LDR/Thermistor circuits etc)
    and usually one from the following:
    Standing wave equations relating Tension in wire, length of wire, Frequency etc..
    or
    Photoelectric effect questions (possibly to do with lamps coated in ZnS, excitation/de-excitation in hydrogen atoms) etc

ReputationRep:
    some common experiments
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf ph_pr_electricityexperiments.pdf (458.8 KB, 1500 views)
  2. File Type: pdf ph_pr_lightexperiments.pdf (448.7 KB, 1157 views)
  3. File Type: pdf ph_pr_mechanics_experiments.pdf (546.4 KB, 2879 views)
  4. Attached Files
  5. File Type: doc 112_Planck's-constant.doc (44.5 KB, 940 views)
  6. File Type: doc Youngs mod.doc (120.5 KB, 2527 views)

ReputationRep:
    is there any difference between potential divider and variable resistor???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamalam)
    is there any difference between potential divider and variable resistor???
    They're two very different things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    They're two very different things...
    Can u explain??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can u explain??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A variable resistor is just a resistor with a resistance that can be changed.

Potential divider might be a little difficult to explain on here... couldn't you look that one up in your textbook? Or Google it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a big confusion with the uncertainty.
    Where should i use the method used in JUNE 2011 (Add 1 or subtract 1 to find max/mean) and where should i use the normal way of calculating uncertainty : max-min/2

ReputationRep:
    Lamalam they are esentially the same thing and are use interchangably for a level physics...that's all you need to know to be honest...And also i have a question...when doing a question in the exam that asks to plan an experiment...DO i have to write a whole essay-type answer with a procedure or can i just answer it as they have it in the marking scheme... For example

A. (draw labelled diagram)

B. (list appartus that aren't shown in the diagram)
    And so forthand so forth...

ReputationRep:
    All fine, but photocell, light intensity experiment r likely to come.

ReputationRep:
    what are the answers to question 3 and 4 of the june 2009 paper?? please help

ReputationRep:
    I have a big confusion with the uncertainty.
    Where should i use the method used in JUNE 2011 (Add 1 or subtract 1 to find max/mean) and where should i use the normal way of calculating uncertainty : max-min/2

ReputationRep:
    do accroding to the markscheme, u can see in the examiner's report that they expect us to answer to the point and with heading/pointers....

ReputationRep:
    Can u explain?? Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  DSC_0087.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  387.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0088.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  458.6 KB
    potential dividers usually consist (AS level) of two resistor, the current flowing through them is same bcz they r connected in series,

in simple word, if 2 resistance a present, the total voltage of circuit will split according to there resistance ratio and the voltage between them A-B and B-C will have different voltage,
    ultimatley Vtotal =VAB+VBC.

according to first pic

V1=IR1 and V2=IR2 as I same u can write it as V1/V2=R2/R1

see this example
    (second pic)

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Please when should i use method of:
    Sin30+1
    ---------- and then max - mean
    sin30-1

and when should i do simply range/2

ReputationRep:
    KBenzema

well its simple

when u take a set of measurement (say length 10cm,11cm,12cm,13cm) u have to divide the range by two to get the uncertinity (10+11+12+13)/2

when u combine a set of measurement to get a quantity (refractive index) u have to use max-min/2

the set of reading there is the angles and the question ask uncertinity for refractive index (a quantity u calculate NOT measurement)

let me knw if u still have any doubt

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between metre rule, meter rule, rule and ruler?

I think measuring g, or finding the refractive index of a liquid or glass shall come
    I reckon they are the only practicals left.
    Or maybe rotation of angle of polarisation or showing independance of verticle and horizontal motion etc or hooks law or efficiency of electrical motor or output of a potential divider or investigating Newton's second law

ReputationRep:
    I think we'll be asked to make a nuclear reactor using the materials supplied (usually consisting of 2 paper clips, a stick of chewing gum and length of thread). It will probably be fusion, as fission is a bit advanced for a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    What is the difference between metre rule, meter rule, rule and ruler?

I think measuring g, or finding the refractive index of a liquid or glass shall come
    I reckon they are the only practicals left.
    Or maybe rotation of angle of polarisation or showing independance of verticle and horizontal motion etc or hooks law or efficiency of electrical motor or output of a potential divider or investigating Newton's second law
    Meter and Metre are the same different words but one of them is used in American English and the other in British English.

A rule is a ruler that starts on the edge and a ruler starts off set from the edge.
    thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.