Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Blair was a Fabian and a Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    How about neutrality?
    Neutral would be OK, yet I'd still prefer Britain to be allies with the USA purely for the fact that the USA is the most powerful country on Earth, and having it firmly on our side makes the possibility of nations attacking Britain much less likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    Neutral would be OK, yet I'd still prefer Britain to be allies with the USA purely for the fact that the USA is the most powerful country on Earth, and having it firmly on our side makes the possibility of nations attacking Britain much less likely.
    Well, if you want propitiation to the Americans at all costs then Blair's certainly your man.

ReputationRep:
    People need to realise that the problem isn't with just one person. Blair or not - they're all the same. They'll all steal and commit mass murder, while pretending to be doing the world a favour, to please the large corporations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    The world needs to know the consequences of terror. Britain and the USA will not accept it, and it is clear that Blairs quick action in invading Iraq overted a nuclear war.
    oh yeah of course! Since, you know, the weapons of mass destruction that were a threat to the safety of the entire world were found and disposed of, huh? How naive do you have to be to still think that 10 years later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    Blair transformed Britain from the dark days of Tory Poverty, neglect and oppression of the poor into a fairer society for everyone. Agree or Disagree?
    Disagree strongly

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow Blair debaters!

Right, this may sound like an absurd idea but please bear with me. I'm thinking of setting up the most controversial debate in the history of TSR, through making a similar thread about a very similar Labour Prime Minister. I know that this PM will arouse such passion amongst posters that I ask that you refer to him as 'he who must not be named'. This thread, I guarantee will be the most controversial debate in the history of TSR.

He who must not be named:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Saying whether his terms in office were good or bad is quite difficult to do. For the entirety of his term in office the UK was in economic growth. Unemployment fell, hospital waiting times fell and we avoided a recession that hit most other western nations. The city I'm from (Liverpool) changed immeasurably under his watch from a city that was imploding to one that was booming. His achievements are many.

There were a lot of things that went wrong, too, but with the exception of the Iraq war they were mostly insignificant. That's some exception though.

ReputationRep:
    Blair was as nefarious as Thatcher but more dangerous because he came across nice and wet.

He was OK until 2001 but after the election win then was when it all started going wrong, war, wages stagnating despite the boom...

Until 2001 - when the country ran a surplus - he inherited the growing economy of John Major. Blair wasn't a patch on the criminally underrated Major.

Had he been in power during a troubled time, he would have been seen as as much of a tyrant as Maggie.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 002)
    Hello fellow Blair debaters!

Right, this may sound like an absurd idea but please bear with me. I'm thinking of setting up the most controversial debate in the history of TSR, through making a similar thread about a very similar Labour Prime Minister. I know that this PM will arouse such passion amongst posters that I ask that you refer to him as 'he who must not be named'. This thread, I guarantee will be the most controversial debate in the history of TSR.

He who must not be named:

Spoiler:
    Show

:eek:

Blasphemy! Herracy!

How dare you show his picture on a public forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I would never vote for him.

He spent taxes like water and got almost nothing to show for it. His Minimum Wage made it harder for the poorest and least-skilled people of all to get a foot on the career ladder by making it too expensive to employ people at the lower end of the labour market.

Need I even mention Afghanistan and Iraq?
    Wasn't that Gordon Brown who spent our taxes like water - and got almost nothing out of it? After all Brown controlled the money - Blair was the political figurehead. Monetary decisions would have gone through Brown.

If you're going to pan someone, at least pan the right guy who stuffed us in the first place :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Not as controversial as I was expecting unfortunately. I expect more!

ReputationRep:
    He loves war too much. Reminds me of the time when I was walking in the middle of nowhere there was this wooden post things it has scribblings all over written with a marker "Blair is a liar!" "Blair is a murderer!" "Blair is evil" this was then followed by "Vote BNP" "all the parties are liars except BNP"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    :eek:

Blasphemy! Herracy!

How dare you show his picture on a public forum.
    Im so sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_Bronson)
    Wasn't that Gordon Brown who spent our taxes like water - and got almost nothing out of it? After all Brown controlled the money - Blair was the political figurehead. Monetary decisions would have gone through Brown.

If you're going to pan someone, at least pan the right guy who stuffed us in the first place :confused:
    Aaarrrrggggghhhhh! What did I say about mentioning he who must not be named!!

ReputationRep:
    Some would say good policies like minimum wage, semi independence to BOE, but iraq war.....no WMD

ReputationRep:
    He didn't "start" an unnecessary war. Bush gave him active encouragement to do so, and the prime reason was to save both the US and UK's major oil import from the middle-east, and so protect their ever-growing economy. It happens.

When Blair was elected, the economy did recover from the 90's recession and gained substantial growth until Gordon Brown took over. Fair enough, the Labour party messed up BIG TIME on the immigration system and the equality of income and wealth (I'm looking at you, Mr Cameron!), but Blair (and, unfortunately, Gordon Brown) cannot be completely blamed.

I was too young to fully acknowledge his policies, and I suppose I gained a natural affinity for him as I took an interest in Politics at an early age. Rather, his policies were a bit like Thatcher's - you either loved them or hated them.

Put up against the current politicians, I would instantly vote for Blair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    How does everyone feel about the prospect of Blair becoming EU President?
    Yet another reason to leave the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 002)
    Blair transformed Britain from the dark days of Tory Poverty, neglect and oppression of the poor into a fairer society for everyone. Agree or Disagree?
    The Thatcher and Major years led Blair to inherit a golden British economy with a thriving private sector which had been free from the burden of over-taxation

ReputationRep:
    The Illegal War and his reforms meant Whitehall gained a lot of power

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.