Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys just understand the electricity side of Physics? I hate it :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    Why are you unhappy with 90 UMS then? I want that!
    Would you care to share your strategies for the written questions (namely the 6 markers) :innocent:
    Really need an A overall for Medicine, and Unit 2/4 imo are a lot harder - why not make up the UMS on this exam?

I did Jan 2010 as a paper and in terms of experiments, I just write ways of improving accuracy, precision and reliability, spell out exactly what variables I'm going to measure, and a way of interpreting the data (i.e, a graph) If they ask you to draw a circuit diagram, make sure everything is connected properly as it's an easy way to lose marks. Hope this helped haha.

(Original post by Son234)
    Lol I bet you on your next past paper you will get >96ums

Practice makes perfect

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Thanks for the encouragement! Let's hope so eh :L

ReputationRep:
    6 days to exam who's ready for it?
    (Not me)
    I am dreading it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With oscilloscopes, do we need to know about ultrasound?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think ultrasound is a type of oscilloscope ?

But anyways, we need to know about Cathode-ray oscilloscopes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    I don't think ultrasound is a type of oscilloscope ?

But anyways, we need to know about Cathode-ray oscilloscopes
    If you have the nelson thrones book for physics it has a little section on ultrasound

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here is the link to the paper:

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceId=4787347

I am stuck with question 1b iii, don't understand how you get to the answer, was the only question which i couldn't do???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to know about the time base and y sensitivity (volts per division) and from those how to make measurements of peak to peak voltage and time period.

you might get a questions asking how it works which is that and electron beam scans across the screen causing it to light up it varies on the x-axis due to time and the y axis due to the voltage. It is a true voltmeter as it has infinite resistance

ReputationRep:
    Here is the link to the paper:

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceId=4787347

I am stuck with question 1b iii, don't understand how you get to the answer, was the only question which i couldn't do???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    K- is a strange down up and so it would decay into a neutron down down up giving out an electron and anti electron neutrino? to conserve charge and lepton number. strangeness is not conserved for weak interactions

ReputationRep:
    If you have the nelson thrones book for physics it has a little section on ultrasound

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I mis-read, thought you were asking for what type I think Goods has summed it up I don't think there would be much on how to set one up and use it in experiments. As that was the 6 marker last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    K- is a strange down up and so it would decay into a neutron down down up giving out an electron and anti electron neutrino? to conserve charge and lepton number. strangeness is not conserved for weak interactions
    How can a kaon be strange down up, as it is a meson, it only has 2 quarks. The mark scheme says it is a neutral pion, an electron and an antineutrino???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiomara)
    Really need an A overall for Medicine, and Unit 2/4 imo are a lot harder - why not make up the UMS on this exam?

I did Jan 2010 as a paper and in terms of experiments, I just write ways of improving accuracy, precision and reliability, spell out exactly what variables I'm going to measure, and a way of interpreting the data (i.e, a graph) If they ask you to draw a circuit diagram, make sure everything is connected properly as it's an easy way to lose marks. Hope this helped haha.
    Sounds like a good plan! What do you do if they ask something silly like how temperature of a wire effects resistance? Do you stick the circuit in a water bath or something?

ReputationRep:
    How can a kaon be strange down up, as it is a meson, it only has 2 quarks. The mark scheme says it is a neutral pion, an electron and an antineutrino???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sorry i thought it was a sigma particle... K- is strange anti up. because there are no baryons it must decay to form a meson and so a up must be produced giving you your pi0 then difference between and up and a strange in charge is -(-1) hence an electron must be given out. then the neutrino is there for conservation

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan! What do you do if they ask something silly like how temperature of a wire effects resistance? Do you stick the circuit in a water bath or something?
    yeah, also you need a heater and a source of ice (to test near zero) i drew a freezer on a past paper as a source of ice and my teacher refused to give me the marks for ''not taking it seriously''... apparently you find ice in beakers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    yeah, also you need a heater and a source of ice (to test near zero) i drew a freezer on a past paper as a source of ice and my teacher refused to give me the marks for ''not taking it seriously''... apparently you find ice in beakers...
    Haha nice one :lol:
    Why do you test near 0 though?

ReputationRep:
    What 6/8 markers do you guys reckon will come up this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    What 6/8 markers do you guys reckon will come up this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    8 markers!? :shot:

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys just understand the electricity side of Physics? I hate it :bawling:
    Agreed!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Haha nice one :lol:
    Why do you test near 0 though?
    because its not necessarily ohmic and so you want as large a range of results to try model it from. Its more important when testing thermistors but it looks good if you put it in for wires to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    because its not necessarily ohmic and so you want as large a range of results to try model it from. Its more important when testing thermistors but it looks good if you put it in for wires to
    Ok cheers for that. Slowly but surely I'm getting to grips with this boring side of physics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.