£23 per hour, just outside Glasgow
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    20 quid per hour. London.

ReputationRep:
    i pay £40 for a 2hr driving lesson

ReputationRep:
    I was paying £18 an hour (He'd usually give a lil more than an hour, maybe an extra 10 mins), north west london. PM me for my instructors number if ur interested :P

ReputationRep:
    I had the cheapest instructor I have ever found.

£19 for an hour and a half

He was the best instructor I ever had too, spent the entire lesson driving, hardly any at the roadside.

ReputationRep:
    They cost me either £48 or £50, depending which one of my driving instructors I use. Costing me over £200 a month for one 2 hour lesson a week. Thank God I'm taking my test soon.

ReputationRep:
    I pay £21 per hour -Northampton

ReputationRep:
    £20 per lesson/hour - west sussex

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    £15 an hour in Manchester, but there are still more expensive driving schools around

ReputationRep:
    £18ph but you can only book two hours. So it's basically £36. Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    In North London over last year's summer holidays, I bought lessons in bulk and paid £360 for a block of 20 hours, which gave an average of £18 ph, and I passed first time with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    £15 an hour in Manchester, but there are still more expensive driving schools around
    which driving school/instructor? City centre?

I'm paying £17/hour with learnmore, I though that was quite good until I read your post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grannylovers)
    Depends if u are a slow or fast learner,,, some have enough with 10 lessons, some need 20 and some even 30.....
    Did you even read the question ? :colonhash:

£26 an hour or £24.60 an hour when block booking 10 - in Coventry.

My old instructor only charged £16.50 an hour but he can't teach for the company he worked for anymore ( rhymes with "bread driving school" ), because he took on students privately.

ReputationRep:
    £25 an hour if booked individually, £23 per hour is booking 10. And that was the cheapest in our area (Surrey/Hampshire border.)

ReputationRep:
    £21 per hour in East London.

ReputationRep:
    some of these are so expensive! I thought mine were bad, I pay £40 for two hours (my instructor doesn't do hour lessons - rip off!) but I'm guessing I would pay £20 for an hour, then £190 for 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my lessons next week and am paying £21.50 per hour in South East London with a private instructor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Driving Lessons are not expensive in the main. If it cannot be considered value for money, then anything could deemed expensive. To summarise why the cost of lessons are between £18 & £25 per hour, is to understand what costs are involved to the instructor.
    Firstly he has to qualify, not cheap. It cost me £5,000 and took me 2 years. I have to pay £300 to the DSA every 4 years to stay on register.
    Then there is the cost of car/franchise. If you want a decent late model car £200-£300 per week with dual controls and all the stationary etc. then there is fuel £4.00-£8.00 per lesson on average. Then there is the allocation of diary time and allowance for cancellations and missed appointments. No instructor in the world has a full diary all the time.
    Then after all that you might actually make some money yourself in the form of an income. Not generally what people assume we make.

Then there is attitude problem with people learning drive. Most want to do it on the cheap. You pay nothing you get nothing. If after all I had to do to qualify meant I was on minimum wage then I would not have bothered. After all a lawyer wouldn't work for minimum wage. And to the person who said it is not exactly an in demand service. I'm sorry but EVERYONE wants to learn to drive, so by its mere nature it's very in demand.
    Driving instructors are professional people. We are not someone who can't get any other job, like tax drivers, (I've done that as well), not that I've got anything against taxi drivers.

Finally anyone who has a problem with the cost of driving tuition, doesn't understand what's involved, and the DSA recommend 47 hours tuition with 22 private practice. Most instructors will get people up to standard in a lot less. So please have a bit more respect for ADIs we do know what we are doing.

Russkie ADI

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I pay £200 for 10 hours and got my first 5 hours for £59.

ReputationRep:
    £18 for a hour in birmingham...my advice, use private driving firms, there're cheaper and sooooo much better. Don't use AA or RED driving

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.