Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    Do people just not understand science and what is possible and what is impossible?

To say ghosts exist is ridiculous. They don't, and cannot. You die and that's it. Gone. Poof.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    that was pretty descriptive well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Truely, Honestly, (if you could do it perfectly and simulate hormones etc) I think you would be creating a copy of your conciousness. The computer would be another you. I don't think there is a substance or soul that contained your personality or memories that wouldn't get transferred over.

My reasoning for this (though part of it is probably just an irrational belief too):

1) There is little/no evidence for this soul thingy
    2) When people suffer damage to the brain (accident/altzhiemers etc) they loose memories and change personality

So unless the damage to the brain mirrored very similar damage to the sould thing too then it shows that our selves are made up of our brain structure.
    even of you lose all your memories you sill wouldnt be able to change who you are because its not your brain that decides who you are its your heart and soul, for example if you hate liars with your memories in, you still gonna hate liars with your memories out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyKid0)
    even of you lose all your memories you sill wouldnt be able to change who you are because its not your brain that decides who you are its your heart and soul, for example if you hate liars with your memories in, you still gonna hate liars with your memories out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, if your brain gets damaged in a way that causes memory loss and not personality changes.

However it is common for brain damage or infection, due to injury, stroke, and inflammation or something like Alzheimer's, among others, to cause sudden changes in personality - this may not even be accompanied by memory loss.

By "heart" are you referring to the actual heart? I.E. a basically a muscle pump, that has been quite successfully transplanted between people before? I don't think that organ has any affect on personality...

ReputationRep:
    The secondary school I went to is a medieval building and apparently many of the younger students have reported horse ghost sightings
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    The secondary school I went to is a medieval building and apparently many of the younger students have reported horse ghost sightings
    You'd almost expect that amongst young people, though - give them a building with a reputation for being haunted, and they'll see it as haunted (I have anecdotal evidence for this myself at about the age of 9, but I think the principle probably holds for much older than that.)

ReputationRep:
    Paranormal refers to any phenomena outside the range of current scientific understanding.

I don't believe in ghosts, because there is no repeatable evidence for them, but even if someone could present a ghost for exhaustive testing by scientists, it would then become at worst just another phenomenon we can't completely explain (e.g. dark matter), and would then just become part of mainstream science. Eventually in time we would be able to explain it, and then it would become part of a greater standard model of science.

(Original post by zeropoint)
    Paranormal refers to any phenomena outside the range of current scientific understanding.

I don't believe in ghosts, because there is no repeatable evidence for them, but even if someone could present a ghost for exhaustive testing by scientists, it would then become at worst just another phenomenon we can't completely explain (e.g. dark matter), and would then just become part of mainstream science. Eventually in time we would be able to explain it, and then it would become part of a greater standard model of science.
    It's also worth including that the acceptance of any phenomenon pretty much has to be consistent with the broad body of theory already established, unless the evidence for it is so compelling as to have the power to overturn - in the way that empirical evidence of quantum effects and relativity effects caused the abandonment of the Newtonian model of physics. Generally the simplest explanation is best and in the absence of routine and testable hard evidence that there are such things as 'ghosts' it is reasonable for us to look to human psychology and perception. Most obviously people believe in, and believe they see, ghosts, because they help affirm a deep desire for their to be a 'spiritual' dimension to human existence, such a thing suggestive of the survival of death, the existence of God, and so on. In short, belief in ghosts generally satisfies a psychological need, just as believe in God (or the gods) does.

(Original post by Smaug123)
    You'd almost expect that amongst young people, though - give them a building with a reputation for being haunted, and they'll see it as haunted (I have anecdotal evidence for this myself at about the age of 9, but I think the principle probably holds for much older than that.)
    Yeah, I think children are particularly receptive to suggestion generally and especially where there is the possibility of being caught up in the sociable sharing of the excitement and the pseudo-danger of such things. Pretty much every adult can remember living near some old house, wood or river, etc, where a ghostly 'grey lady' (or 'white lady etc) was 'known' to wander. At least in part these stories help children learn about unknown dangers in such places, even if they are not consciously aware that this is their effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    It's also worth including that the acceptance of any phenomenon pretty much has to be consistent with the broad body of theory already established, unless the evidence for it is so compelling as to have the power to overturn - in the way that empirical evidence of quantum effects and relativity effects caused the abandonment of the Newtonian model of physics. Generally the simplest explanation is best and in the absence of routine and testable hard evidence that there are such things as 'ghosts' it is reasonable for us to look to human psychology and perception. Most obviously people believe in, and believe they see, ghosts, because they help affirm a deep desire for their to be a 'spiritual' dimension to human existence, such a thing suggestive of the survival of death, the existence of God, and so on. In short, belief in ghosts generally satisfies a psychological need, just as believe in God (or the gods) does.
    I agree entirely, as it stands there is no consistent empirical evidence for ghosts or gods or similar paranormal beings.

At the same time, I'm willing to say that if someone marched a ghost down to the royal society in London, and it was observed and tested in controlled conditions, and that these tests could be repeated by independent groups, then I'd happily accept ghosts as real.

As it stands, due to lack of reproducible evidence there I see no reason to believe such things exist.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My heart is a lump of muscle (and some other tissues) which acts as a pump. It doesn't "decide" anything, and any allusion to the contrary by most people will be a metaphor, and nothing more.

There is absolutely no evidence that the soul even exists. The notion of an immaterial ghost which drives our body, defines who we are and transcends death strikes me as nothing more than the wishful thinking of those who did not understand enough about our anatomy to come to a reasonable conclusion about how we function.

I disagree that I would hate liars without any memory. Without memory, I will not even know what a liar is, and would therefore be unable to hate one unless given further cause.

ReputationRep:
    that was pretty descriptive well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I try to make my descriptions as clear as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skumgummi)
    No, it does not.
    I love it how you take your knowledge to be complete.

(Original post by Treeroy)
    So if we don't have the ability to observe them, why do you believe they exist? What apparatus are you using to see these invisible creatures?

I started replying to you... saved the draft. No worries, long time I know, but I didn't forget!

I'm just bored typing on the keyboard everyday and have started to have pain in the joints, so am just avoiding long posts. I'll reply to you and others in installments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenAmora)
    What is your opinion on the other world, do you believe in paranormal beings living amongst us or think it's just stories made up for our entertainment.

I believe in the Jinn, which are creatures made of fire and smoke who live on Earth with us and are invisible, (so its somewhat similar to the concept of ghosts) but only the Jinn are not dead people who have come back to life.

All opinions are welcome. I'm just curious to know what others make of possessions, black magic, aliens etc ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You and me both, but not before evening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    I love it how you take your knowledge to be complete.
    Yes, I am 100% sure that there is no scientific proof that ghosts exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    im guessing your muslim?

I know its a cop out answer but science does not understand everything - yet. There have been scientific studies into the supernatural in particular ghost and poltergiest activity and its results have always been open for debate both for an against. There are hundreds of thousands of stories of ghosts spirits etc out there even into modern day. Can everyone be explained away by air pressure, leaky pipes, imagination, hallucinations etc etc etc?
    Paranormal activity is unfalsifiable. It's pseudoscience, same as and other spiritual claim. It can't be disproved, therefore it could be real, but has never been verified.

Has there ever been a scientifically verifiable case of supernatural activity? I'm willing to bet the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skumgummi)
    Yes, I am 100% sure that there is no scientific proof that ghosts exist.
    I won't pay you to believe otherwise. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. Depending on how you are defining memory.

It is your brain however.

If you lose parts of your episodic memory, you will probably still remember certain facts, and still have certain emotional attachments.

But your personality is entirely dictated by your brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenAmora)
    What is your opinion on the other world, do you believe in paranormal beings living amongst us or think it's just stories made up for our entertainment.

I believe in the Jinn, which are creatures made of fire and smoke who live on Earth with us and are invisible, (so its somewhat similar to the concept of ghosts) but only the Jinn are not dead people who have come back to life.

All opinions are welcome. I'm just curious to know what others make of possessions, black magic, aliens etc ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't feel this should be on the Philosophy forum...
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    If you lose parts of your episodic memory, you will probably still remember certain facts, and still have certain emotional attachments.
    Very interesting recent article on memory: http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...scious-memory/
    As the title implies, the man had no conscious memory, but did gradually and unconsciously learn things through exact repetition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.