Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung Galaxy Mega Announced- How big is too big? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Do you wear clown trousers?

I wear mostly jeans and a Nexus 4 let alone a Nexus 7 wouldn't fit in comfortably.
    Most normal trousers will manage it perfectly fine. I haven't worn jeans in a couple of years but they fit in my chinos. I tend to use the back pocket but it fits nonetheless. I put it in my coat when it was cold too and it managed ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Do you wear clown trousers?

I wear mostly jeans and a Nexus 4 let alone a Nexus 7 wouldn't fit in comfortably.
    No, you probably have small pockets, my 4.7 inch One X fits PERFECTLY into my pockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    You must have missed my point where i said you can get 4" screen phones at that size as well. (and thinner). So is it just the iPhone that appeals to you? Or is it the size of the phone?

Because otherwise you'd be arguing that 4" phones are a good size as well.
    I am arguing that point. I have no particular allegiance to Apple at all, I was just referring to that as its what I own. The new Huawei Ascend (can't remember the exact name) seems good value for money for what you get I would like to see one in person, I believe that has 4" screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    No, you probably have small pockets, my 4.7 inch One X fits PERFECTLY into my pockets.
    Seems likely. I really cannot think of a phone that wouldn't fit comfortably in a trouser pocket. Even a 7 inch tablet can usually fit, you wouldn't be able to put anything bigger in it but still.

Thanks for the rep btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Well, yeah, but also when you do that the keyboard blocks off most of the screen making it impossible to see much. It's a little bit better for being able to place your thumbs on the screen than portrait but you can't simultaneously check past messages or see more than a few words that you're typing at any one time. They're just too small. I think phones with screens in the high 4"s are a decent place to start in terms of comfortably using a phone. iPhones, in my opinion, are behind the times. Apple still hang onto this ridiculous idea of only releasing one phone at a time and that phones should be able to be operated with one thumb. I just don't think it's the most important reason that should influence screen size.
    I think whether using a phone with one hand or two is a personal preference. Yes, I agree that landscape does block out a few things, but that hasn't really bothered me much, except when editing work from my SkyDrive (WP8).

ReputationRep:
    Seems likely. I really cannot think of a phone that wouldn't fit comfortably in a trouser pocket. Even a 7 inch tablet can usually fit, you wouldn't be able to put anything bigger in it but still.

Thanks for the rep btw.
    Exactly, from base to base aka not the screen my phone is probably around 5 inches long anyway and a 7 inch tablet is only 2 inches bigger, so should reasonably fit. The only way it wouldn't fit is if the person was wearing women's jeans which are notorious for having tiny pockets or none at all.

Oh and you're welcome.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the rep btw.
    You should try getting them into your Jeans pocket

What i want to see is more flagship phones at different sizes. No S3 Mini with major downgrades. I want an S3 Mini to have the same spec but in a smaller device with maybe a couple of differences. As much as i love my Note 2 i know others who don't want a massive phone to carry around.

Although saying that my Mum has got used to a 4.3" screen phone in no time.

ReputationRep:
    You should try getting them into your Jeans pocket

What i want to see is more flagship phones at different sizes. No S3 Mini with major downgrades. I want an S3 Mini to have the same spec but in a smaller device with maybe a couple of differences. As much as i love my Note 2 i know others who don't want a massive phone to carry around.

Although saying that my Mum has got used to a 4.3" screen phone in no time.
    I don't own jeans, haven't owned any in 2 years so hard to comment on that.

It would certainly be an idea but how popular, and therefore financially viable, it would be is difficult to tell. I looked at the S3 mini myself and saw it was essentially just marketing cashing in on the S3's rep essentially.

ReputationRep:
    I don't own jeans, haven't owned any in 2 years so hard to comment on that.

It would certainly be an idea but how popular, and therefore financially viable, it would be is difficult to tell. I looked at the S3 mini myself and saw it was essentially just marketing cashing in on the S3's rep essentially.
    True, but the thing was that the S3 Mini launched at £300. At that time you could get the Galaxy Ace 2 which was pretty much the exact same phone for £150. Compared to that price the S3 Mini should have been no more than £200 max but there was a whole extra £100 added on top. They could have made a much better phone for that price point.

ReputationRep:
    True, but the thing was that the S3 Mini launched at £300. At that time you could get the Galaxy Ace 2 which was pretty much the exact same phone for £150. Compared to that price the S3 Mini should have been no more than £200 max but there was a whole extra £100 added on top. They could have made a much better phone for that price point.
    If google keeps it up that could a lot more likely it years to come. Nexus 4 is being sold at great prices so that might make the whole phone market more price competitive.

ReputationRep:
    If google keeps it up that could a lot more likely it years to come. Nexus 4 is being sold at great prices so that might make the whole phone market more price competitive.
    Exactly. The Nexus 4 is actually priced at a very good price point for the specs it offers. Even now it's arguably the best phone at that price point.

Some phones like the S3 Mini can be such a rip off sometimes. That's why i purchase a lot of my phones from domestic Chinese manufacturers. At the moment you can get a phone with the exact same spec as the Xperia Z (minus 4G but with dual sim support) for around £150 local price. Bargain, and the quality is good as well.

ReputationRep:
    5" screen is too big for a phone in my opinion. I was worried about the size of the Nexus 4 when I got it but I adapted pretty quickly and I definitely prefer it to the 3.7" on my old phone. Any bigger though and it's just getting impractical.

I can use the Nexus 4 one-handed and it fits in my pocket (okay, not always, it does depend on what jeans I'm wearing) but if it was any bigger I wouldn't be able to do either of those and that's too big if you ask me. Mobiles were made to be portable and for me those are the two ways of judging it.

ReputationRep:
    oh crap !!!! samsung !!! what the hell have you done???

thats a tablet and a phone combined now...i would like a right idiot holding that giant thing up against my ear/

ReputationRep:
    well i own the note 2 and i can barely class it as a one hand device. There is no way i could cope with a phone any bigger.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. The Nexus 4 is actually priced at a very good price point for the specs it offers. Even now it's arguably the best phone at that price point.

Some phones like the S3 Mini can be such a rip off sometimes. That's why i purchase a lot of my phones from domestic Chinese manufacturers. At the moment you can get a phone with the exact same spec as the Xperia Z (minus 4G but with dual sim support) for around £150 local price. Bargain, and the quality is good as well.
    If I didn't already have a phone I'd highly consider getting a nexus 4. That said my phone is not quite bad enough to justify it, especially since I have a nexus 7. Give it another year and perhaps I'll get the next nexus phone to be released(after the next one being released - nexus 5, if that's what it's being called). Nexus 6?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I currently have a Huawei Ascend G300, which is 4". That's big enough for me. I do like the look of the Samsung Galaxy 3 Mini.

Had to use my Blackberry whilst my Hauwei was getting fixed. It felt so weird using that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    It's odd how phone sizes seem to be migrating back up again. I remember when I got my first phone, you were lucky to get anything smaller than your foot.

Then they got smaller, and smaller, and everyone wanted a tiny little thing like a Nokia 8210. And people assumed they'd soon be the size of a pen, or your little finger, everything was about making them smaller.

Now they're essentially becoming bricks again, but a brick with a fancy touchscreen is still a brick.

I'm not a fan of giant phones (no more than I was a fan of tiny ones), and if I wanted a tablet I'd buy a tablet. Huge phones are impractical and seem to almost miss the point of what they're supposed to be.
    Not really. They're still getting thinner and thinner. So more like a big sheet of paper than a brick!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.