Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will ''win'' the next election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who will win a majority in the 2015 election?
    Conservative Party
    15.38%
    Liberal Democrats
    1.18%
    Labour Party
    51.48%
    UKIP
    6.51%
    Green Party
    1.78%
    BNP
    1.78%
    No Majority
    21.89%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    52 deluded Labour supporters.

Labour have never been so unelectable. Oh wait, yes they have, between 1979-1990; when a woman hated by half the country still managed to hold onto government against what can't really be termed as opposition.

No big hitters, no policies, a lot of talk, not a lot of action. Shoddy politics (your wrong, were right, but we have nothing to back this up), a leader that looks like he couldn't fight his way out of a carrier bag, terrible front bench. The list goes on.

Only people to vote for Labour will be my fellow northerners who are still so deluded with "Thatcher shut the mines."
    We often swing back and forth. Labour, then conservative, then labour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    We often swing back and forth. Labour, then conservative, then labour...
    Yes but this has been what, 3 or 4 years were talking about. Last time the Tories were in power for 18 years because of a shoddy opposition. I've said iT many times and ill say it again. Thatcher was hated by half the country yet still won three elections. What does that say about labour? They're exactly where they were thirty years ago. A party going nowhere with no good leadership or front bench.

ReputationRep:
    Supreme Leader Prime Minister Cameron is well on his way to superseding Fatcha as the longest-serving PM in Britain's history. I cannot see any party being able to wrestle dominance from Cameron's powerful grasp within the next two elections.

In Cameron we trust.

ReputationRep:
    To early to tell.

Probably Labour, but I can see the Tories coming back into it if things start to pick up over the next two years.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap. I have a tab open for another thread entitled "Who would you never vote for?" and so I submitted BNP into this one damn it. There isn't an undo is there? :l

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, Labour are still in a bit of a mess and don't know who or what they are after the substantial shake up since the last election, Conservatives are not getting any more popular than their minority last time and lib dems just need to give up hope. But this will all change quite a bit over the next few years I'm sure, as Labour will start giving us policy ideas (hopefully), the tories will continue screwing us over and the lib dems will carry on protesting their innocence.
    So we will likely have no minority, and coalitions will start ot become the norm I think.

ReputationRep:
    carry on with the bedroomtax and the tories will be gone good job too

ReputationRep:
    The electorate is not malleable enough to turn to Labour. The Tory party has smashed the ever-present baby snatching benefit scrounger threat, and this alone is enough bread and circuses that any of the masses will ever need.

On a serious note, I don't think Labour can pull it back. They're an empty party with no real policies. Milliband lacks panache. Labour's biggest problem is that its traditional supporters are mostly alienated from politics. The factories and shipyards have been replaced with upmarket flats and service industry. There is nothing left to fight for among the old blood as they are slowly superseded by global capitalism.

What do the Tories offer? Very little also. But the one thing they do offer is rhetoric. And I am sure the search for the scrounger and the promise to make Britain great will be enough to win all the votes that matter.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, there has only been one example of an incumbent party increasing its share of the seats and it took the Faulklands war for that to happen. Conservatives will loose seats, Lib Dems will loose seats. Due to FPTP minority parties pose absolutely no threat to the big 2.5 in terms of seats, what matters is vote splitting. Let's begin with Lib Dem voters, by and large they are going to be voting Labour next time round, for obvious reasons. This will not only lead to Labour gains from the Lib Dems, but also Labour gains in three way swing seats as they increase their share of that constituencies vote. Next onto UKIP, they will undoubtedly split the Tory vote which will give Labour the edge in Lab/Con swing seats. Safe seats are safe, nuff said. Remember that no one party has a majority and only Labour or Conservatives are going to get one, period. In 2015, Labour will gain seats and Tories will loose seats, that's how incumbency works. This can only end one of three ways, a Labour government, a Labour minority government or a Lib/Lab coalition.

As for no Labour policies... seriously. Freezing energy bills for 20 months, scrapping the bedroom tax, votes for 16 year olds, a mansion tax, potentially a living wage and maybe even re-nationalisation of the railways instead of HS2. They're ahead in the polls and winning the media debate. Ever wonder why everybody calls the spare room subsidy the bedroom tax? Ever wonder why we've heard nothing about the most significant economic growth in five years and everything about the cost of energy? It's because Labour knows exactly what it's doing and where it's going. And that is a victory in 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Labour

Dont know any policies for anyone but people seem to be pissed at the conservatives.

If that milliband guy in charge of labour died and was replaced with someone who wasn't an irritating prick it would definitely be labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsGeek)
    Firstly, there has only been one example of an incumbent party increasing its share of the seats and it took the Faulklands war for that to happen.
    What the **** are you on about?

Since the war, Eden in '55, MacMillan in '59, Wilson in October '74.

As for no Labour policies... seriously. Freezing energy bills for 20 months, scrapping the bedroom tax, votes for 16 year olds, a mansion tax, potentially a living wage and maybe even re-nationalisation of the railways instead of HS2. They're ahead in the polls and winning the media debate. Ever wonder why everybody calls the spare room subsidy the bedroom tax? Ever wonder why we've heard nothing about the most significant economic growth in five years and everything about the cost of energy? It's because Labour knows exactly what it's doing and where it's going. And that is a victory in 2015.
    I continue to be baffled at your analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsGeek)
    The Labour message on HS2 has been mixed, to say the best. Renationalisation of the railways? Have you a source for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylitta42)
    carry on with the bedroomtax and the tories will be gone good job too
    'Spare room subsidy'. I refer you to the BBC webpage.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21321113

ReputationRep:
    Things can swing so widlly from now untill the next election, I've no idea why its so heavy towards labour, look at Heath, he snatched an election victory agaisnt all the pollsters. If the economy stays on the up I cant see the tories not loosing, Id want a lib dem majority ideally anyways

ReputationRep:
    Russell Brand.

More than likely it will be Tories.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coromandel)
    Things can swing so widlly from now untill the next election, I've no idea why its so heavy towards labour, look at Heath, he snatched an election victory agaisnt all the pollsters. If the economy stays on the up I cant see the tories not loosing, Id want a lib dem majority ideally anyways
    Labour will win just based on the biased system alone. It will be very hard for them to lose. The Tories need to be 8% ahead, just to get a majority of 1. And as for your Liberal Democrat majority....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    What the **** are you on about?

Since the war, Eden in '55, MacMillan in '59, Wilson in October '74.

I continue to be baffled at your analysis.
    The only useful examples that we can draw upon to make political predictions are those which are contemporary, ie 1979 onwards. Anything prior is generally considered too dated to be applicable. I also find it questionable that you note your feeling of bafflement without elaborating. And a final tertiary point, I feel somewhat insulted that a user whose picture is a curious amalgamation of the St Georges cross and the Union Jack, thought that they be best suited to give me balanced evaluation of my political analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnPaul_)
    Russell Brand.

More than likely it will be Tories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about brand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    The Labour message on HS2 has been mixed, to say the best. Renationalisation of the railways? Have you a source for that?
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...n-railways-hs2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Labour will win just based on the biased system alone. It will be very hard for them to lose. The Tories need to be 8% ahead, just to get a majority of 1. And as for your Liberal Democrat majority....
    Doesn't make much of difference anyways, the energy prize freeze is a load of non sense, prices up before/after, if anything it will just choke the productive capacity of the energy market but creating uncertainty and dissuading investors. Lets frack more and start re allocating our money spent on wind farms etc onto nuclear power.

Yeah the lib dems will take a few years to lick their wounds, anyways ill probs be voting UKIP next election as a protest vote even though I despise them. My area is a labour safe seat anyways

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.