Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    9 days to go for me :O

ReputationRep:
    3 days of S4 left for me guys... first exam on Friday and I'm feeling alright about it (Computing), kinda worried for Chemistry on Wed 1st May though

ReputationRep:
    I was doing a maths past paper today and I came across something I am completely stumped on. It's in Credit Maths 2008 Calc question 9. If anyone could help me out, I would be really grateful as I have a second prelim coming up on Monday. :yucky:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/pap...per-2_2008.pdf

Link to the past paper yo, question 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    I was doing a maths past paper today and I came across something I am completely stumped on. It's in Credit Maths 2008 Calc question 9. If anyone could help me out, I would be really grateful as I have a second prelim coming up on Monday. :yucky:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/pap...per-2_2008.pdf

Link to the past paper yo, question 9.
    9a) A 5 second portion of the circular clock is 360/12 degrees. So 25 degrees is gonna equal?
    9b) I don't remember how much you know need to know about circles. So if I go a little beyond SG knowledge, sorry. The circumference of a circle is given by  C = \pi D . Since the length of the arc is 5/12's of the total circles circumference, you can mulitply the arcs length by 12 and divide by 5 to get a value for C. Can you see what to do from here?

ReputationRep:
    9a I got already, pretty straightforward.

However, for 9b where are you getting this 5/12 from ?

ReputationRep:

Well think about it, from your answer in A, you'll have found that the angle AOB is 5/12's of 360 degrees right? So logically, arc AB is 5/12's of the total circumference?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to celebrate only having 2 more periods of French to go, but it's only because of the Computing exam on Friday!

ReputationRep:

Here's from a SG viewpoint

Arc length equals (x/360) x pi x D right?

So if 120 = (x/360) x pi x D

Then D = 120 / (x/360) x pi

Then halve for radius I.e. hand of the clock you get it?

Edit: sorry x should be 150

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    Here's from a SG viewpoint

Arc length equals (x/360) x pi x D right?

So if 120 = (x/360) x pi x D

Then D = 120 / (x/360) x pi

Then half for radius I.e. hand of the clock you get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry double posted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I still have 4 days left of 4th year. Excited and sad at the same time. I got my 2nd Maths prelim results yesterday and I found out I got 88% in KU and 80% in PS! I now have way more confidence with the maths exam on the 3rd of May!

My English teacher was telling us about the difficulty of Higher English yesterday because some people that got recommended for N5/Int2 in the exam took Higher anyway. I got recommended for Higher in my report but she was saying that 99% of the people that took N5/Int2 in S5 and then Higher in S6 passed Higher with at least a C but people that came from Standard Grade struggled a lot because we "don't have the necessary skills." She also said that it depends on what other subjects you are taking. She said "If you are taking 5 Highers and one of them is English" then shook her head :eek: because apparently the workload is too high. Sorry about the rant, but this got me worried and thinking if I should drop down to N5/Int2 or not. The question is: People that took Higher English from only doing Standard Grade, how did you find it and what other subjects did you take along side it?

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop it . You can easily manage it fine, the difficulty is really exaggerated, or so I've heard. You're teacher is just worrying. Trust me, not having 5 Highers in one sitting is a lot worse than you might think. Ask TheFOMaster if you don't believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Passwords)
    I still have 4 days left of 4th year. Excited and sad at the same time. I got my 2nd Maths prelim results yesterday and I found out I got 88% in KU and 80% in PS! I now have way more confidence with the maths exam on the 3rd of May!

My English teacher was telling us about the difficulty of Higher English yesterday because some people that got recommended for N5/Int2 in the exam took Higher anyway. I got recommended for Higher in my report but she was saying that 99% of the people that took N5/Int2 in S5 and then Higher in S6 passed Higher with at least a C but people that came from Standard Grade struggled a lot because we "don't have the necessary skills." She also said that it depends on what other subjects you are taking. She said "If you are taking 5 Highers and one of them is English" then shook her head :eek: because apparently the workload is too high. Sorry about the rant, but this got me worried and thinking if I should drop down to N5/Int2 or not. The question is: People that took Higher English from only doing Standard Grade, how did you find it and what other subjects did you take along side it?
    Doesn't listen to her. It's probably one of the easiest Highers to pass. The grade boundary for a grade A is around 64%...

ReputationRep:
    5 days to go :P

ReputationRep:
    Another S4 over here, not for much longer though! I don't know if I'm sad or happy about that... Happy that I get to drop French haha! For Higher I'm taking Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry, and History, although I'll probably regret taking all of them... How have you all been preparing for the exams? I've been doing every past paper I can get my hands on.

ReputationRep:
    I've pretty much been doing the same. Going to take a day during my break between Chemistry and Graphics to revise over everything for each subject I have left. Going to do at least two/three papers the day before each exam just to reassure myself, but I'm happy with how it's all went so far

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only non-sciencey/mathsy (for lack of a better word haha) fourth year on here??? I'm doing higher Maths (because my parents decided not taking it would be a "waste of a year" since I've already started it) and Chemistry (because the teacher organising our columns for fitfth year options basically f*****d up) and I'm dreading it...all you three sciences people are insane! But then you probably think the same of me for looking forwards to English I went on a trip to see one the plays we'll study, I can't wait!! haha

ReputationRep:
    Got a maths second prelim tommorow. Not too nervous as it's only non-calc which I'm better at. Got a lot of work to do tonight. Revise for that test, learn a Latin poem and see if I can get any Biology revision in. No way will I be able to get it all done. Just see how much I can do untill 11.00.

ReputationRep:
    Got a straight 1 in my Latin 2nd prelim

Had my maths paper 1 2nd prelim which went okay, definitely got a 1 in that so it's all good. Nervous for Paper 2 tomorrow though.

Mainly just Latin and Maths revision for this whole week as I have English, Maths and Latin next week. Oh joy.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    Got a straight 1 in my Latin 2nd prelim

Had my maths paper 1 2nd prelim which went okay, definitely got a 1 in that so it's all good. Nervous for Paper 2 tomorrow though.

Mainly just Latin and Maths revision for this whole week as I have English, Maths and Latin next week. Oh joy.
    I like how in the space of 21 hours you've gone from "not nervous because I'm better at that" to "so nervous ". You've got it covered. Chiiilll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.