Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Where on earth did you pick that piece of tragic misinformation from? Sky is nowhere close to being the most viewed channel. Programmes on any of the Sky channels are lucky to break 1.5million viewers, while programmes on BBC 1, 2 and ITV 1 regularly break 5million and often get as high as 10m.
    You're right, sorry, I meant to write 'heavily watched channel'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    You're right, sorry, I meant to write 'heavily watched channel'.
    Not really. Channel5 gets more viewers than Sky1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Not really. Channel5 gets more viewers than Sky1.
    I was thinking of Sky News, also of course, Sky broadcast most of the commercial radio news and many UK viewers watch Fox.

ReputationRep:
    Last time I walked past a trade union protest I was so astounded at the sheer bilge they had on their placards that I kept shaking my head in amazement. They largely took it for empathy

ReputationRep:
    The upcoming funeral for Margaret Thatcher is a State Funeral in all but name.

* 800 soldiers will accompany the procession.

* Costs are now over £8m and rising.

* Previous Prime Ministers apart from Churchill have always had a private funeral followed by a public commemoration service - this one is a break from tradition.

This is a triumph of right-wing propaganda, a victory for Tory PR and something Labour could not challenge, because the media is in the grip of the Right and they feared losing votes under the onslaught.

No PM as controversial as Thatcher, despite her many achievements, should be receiving a State Funeral. This is a piece of Peronist right wing triumphalism, an attempt by the current government to restore the popularity of Thatcherism and a deliberate campaign by Cameron to gain ground.

I urge people to stay away from the funeral in protest, not at Margaret Thatcher herself, but at this Tory propaganda coup. Please do not watch the show and respond to any surveys that you did not watch it.

Show the government that we do not agree with their Orwellian game-playing.

Agreed, totally totally agree. I will certainly not watch it. I can't believe it cost that much (hypocrites), it is complete propaganda. They make it appear that she was beloved by the entire nation. When she certainly was not. Sick. It makes me feel so angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Last time I walked past a trade union protest I was so astounded at the sheer bilge they had on their placards that I kept shaking my head in amazement.
    "We want better working conditions" that sort of stuff? Pfft, silly sods.

ReputationRep:
    Trade unions? They'd be the folks that brought you the weekend, sickness pay, maternity pay, retirement benefits, paid holidays, etc. Deluded fools.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from anything else, this is a gigantic waste of money. Although I suppose it was less of a waste of money than the Olympics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Aside from anything else, this is a gigantic waste of money. Although I suppose it was less of a waste of money than the Olympics...
    Boris did well out of that one, so Labour must consider it money well spent.

There is still time for Osborne to screw this one up though, he could park in another disabled bay, or maybe get booed in the church or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    No money should be spent on her at all considering how many times we keep getting reminded by DC and his cronies that we're in a recession and cuts must be made. In what world do we live in where a state funded funeral is put before saving people's jobs and livelihoods.

The saying "we're all in this together" has never been made so redundant. Make marky boy pay for his mother's funeral as a good (and rich) son should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    No money should be spent on her at all considering how many times we keep getting reminded by DC and his cronies that we're in a recession and cuts must be made. In what world do we live in where a state funded funeral is put before saving people's jobs and livelihoods.

The saying "we're all in this together" has never been made so redundant. Make marky boy pay for his mother's funeral as a good (and rich) son should.
    He needs to hang on to the money for the next round of corruption trials or whatever it is he will be facing.

ReputationRep:
    He needs to hang on to the money for the next round of corruption trials or whatever it is he will be facing.
    I heard he has some more gun running and coup d'etats lined up for our entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Well this thread is going to kick up a stink.

I agree with the idea that no public money should be spent on her funeral. If Attlee didn't get one then neither should she.
    I don't think public money as such should be spent on it, but ultimately let's consider what that actually means.

I have no problem with the national church making available its facilities at an affordable price. Yes, in theory it costs money, but ultimately it is essentially a favour. Equally institutions like the BBC will be paying to cover it, due to public interest. None of these things are really extraordinary costs, nor do they pass comment on the quality of the PM in question.

Then we have the cost of a ceremonial military attendance, which essentially deploys some soldiers who would've been on largely ceremonial duties anyway. I don't have a problem with that either and think it should be afforded to any PM (who, in effect, has strategic command over the army) or senior military official whose family desire it, just as I understand the Army will provide a guard of honour at soldiers' funerals.

Then the largest cost is policing. That cost has nothing to do with Lady Thatcher, her family or her supporters. It is a cost incurred due to the distinct possibility some disgusting people may try to disrupt the proceedings. Not only should they be entirely blamed for that cost, trying to suggest that the cost is incurred by the funeral is essentially a victim-blaming mentality.

ReputationRep:
    The upcoming funeral for Margaret Thatcher is a State Funeral in all but name.

* 800 soldiers will accompany the procession.

* Costs are now over £8m and rising.

* Previous Prime Ministers apart from Churchill have always had a private funeral followed by a public commemoration service - this one is a break from tradition.

This is a triumph of right-wing propaganda, a victory for Tory PR and something Labour could not challenge, because the media is in the grip of the Right and they feared losing votes under the onslaught.

No PM as controversial as Thatcher, despite her many achievements, should be receiving a State Funeral. This is a piece of Peronist right wing triumphalism, an attempt by the current government to restore the popularity of Thatcherism and a deliberate campaign by Cameron to gain ground.

I urge people to stay away from the funeral in protest, not at Margaret Thatcher herself, but at this Tory propaganda coup. Please do not watch the show and respond to any surveys that you did not watch it.

Show the government that we do not agree with their Orwellian game-playing.
    Actually treacle this was all agreed under Blairs leadership as he was after a state funeral to massage his ego a bit more. That was part of the deal.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/blai...cher-1-1412430

I doubt that this is a cunning Tory ploy as like it or not, as soon as you get out of you're comfortable Middle England existence you'll realise that Lady Thatcher was a big hitter on the world stage, and as such many world leaders will be there. Another reason why Churchill was honoured in such a way.

I'd like to see what financial accounting method is being used to calculate this £8million. The military is a common cost. (They're being paid anyway so why not use them). The Security bill would've had to have been paid as even if it was a private funeral they'd still be a huge amount of dignatories there.

Don't start thinking that the Military are being used as a pawn in all of this either. Other than Churchill, she's the only other PM that earned the respect of the Miltary in teh last 80 years, so you can be sure people are cancelling leave to make sure they're involved.

You really must be sick in the mind to actually thing that party politics will be getting involved in this. Have a look at the guest list. There are sworn political enemies of hers going to the funeral;. Do you think they'd be turning up if they thought they were being taken advantage of.

My only concern is that protestors don't turn up at the funeral. I think thay'd do more damage to their casue if they stooped so low.

ReputationRep:
    It's about the current state of politics. Cameron is well behind in the polls and so he has decided to abandon (lots of other evidence for this) his brand of 'compassionate' centrist Conservatism and go back to the Nasty Party policies that Blair/Brown had critiqued and won on the back of that critique. This funeral is about re-clothing the current Tories in (now suddenly acceptable again) Thatcher dressing.

They will be using imagery from this for the next two years, quoting her constantly, seeking to portray Dave as the new Maggie, etc, etc.

I guarantee there will be a poll bounce for Cameron from the funeral alone - watch the polls in the next few weeks.
    Sigh. Half-baked conspiracy theories cobbled together to mask the fact that you're essentially criticising a dead woman's funeral. A poll boost wouldn't do Cameron the slightest bit of good at this stage: he's 2 years from an election. He has always held Lady Thatcher in high regard.

(Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    You'll be very hard pressed to find any Tories who actually think Thatcher was on a par with Churchill.
    I'm a Tory and while I do think Churchill was a relatively decent military leader - albeit lionised by history - I think he was a fairly poor Prime Minister and not much of a person to be looked up to.

Giving her a state-funded funeral doesn't mean that they are equating her with Churchill - the Queen Mother received a state-funded funeral too. It's more a sign of how over-sentimental society has become over the last few years than an attempt to equate the two. I'm sure if Labour had a leader over the past 30 years that was adored by party members, he/she would be receiving a state-funded funeral too.
    There's undoubtedly some truth in that, right enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    I heard he has some more gun running and coup d'etats lined up for our entertainment.
    There must be some small country out there that he hasn't ****ed up yet, awaiting his tender care.

ReputationRep:
    Using the word "mong" isn't very nice, it's an abusive reference to the handicapped.

It is a state funeral in all but name, there is barely any difference - she isn't actually lying in state. That's pretty much it. Also the taxpayer are shovelling money at it - apparently that is no problem, whereas disabled people being able to have a spare bedroom - problem.
    I didn't mean mong in that way but I can see now where the offense may occur so I have removed it.

Anyway, the taxpayer is obviously going to have to pay for security because radical-lefties might try to gatecrash it.

Furthermore, I don't see why a disabled or any other individual needs two bedrooms because you can only sleep in one of them at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    You idiot, you do realise this is why she is being given a ceremonial funeral (one step below a state funeral)? It is a state funeral in all but name, it has all the trappings of any personality cult veneration exercise more usually associated with the more backward parts of the world.

People like you splitting hairs and causing arguments among those who should be in solidarity are exactly what they want by calling it a ceremonial funeral. Divide and rule, always, always, always.
    Just because you don't respect her doesn't mean everybody doesn't, there's no need to include any "cult of personality" claims here.

The amount of public money being spent on her funeral is nanoscopic compared to the money lost from benefit fraud and tax evasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    I didn't mean mong in that way but I can see now where the offense may occur so I have removed it.

Anyway, the taxpayer is obviously going to have to pay for security because radical-lefties might try to gatecrash it.

Furthermore, I don't see why a disabled or any other individual needs two bedrooms because you can only sleep in one of them at a time.
    The very fact that there is a well-founded fear that it might be disrupted, which apparently requires a military presence to counter, is ample proof that this is not a time for a full state funeral of the sort she is being given by the authorities. State funerals are for those so widely beloved of the nation that there is really no question. This is not one of those times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    Just because you don't respect her doesn't mean everybody doesn't, there's no need to include any "cult of personality" claims here.

The amount of public money being spent on her funeral is nanoscopic compared to the money lost from benefit fraud and tax evasion.
    It's ironic that so much scorn is being heaped on the Argies at this time, because what we have here is almost a mirror of the way Eva Peron was colonised by her successors to suit their agendas - Galtieri constantly clothed himself in Evita clothing (yes, I know that would make him a transvestite, but in political terms at least) and used her to suit his fascist purposes.

I am expecting Ian Duncan-Smith to appear at future austerity conferences seated in front of a giant portrait of Maggie, as he announces plans to castrate the poor or drive them out of the South of England using electric cattle prods.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.