Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever taken the Eurostar or the ferry to France/Spain/Ireland/Norway before? If so the customs bit of it is the same - only different bit is you don't get your luggage until you reach your destination.

The flight itself, well, everyone has different reactions to it. Personally I have a phobia of flying, so I keep flights to a bare minimum (done well with this so far, having only flown 4 times in my entire 20 years - a return trip to the US (best holiday ever by the way - and my first flight!) and a return trip to Spain).

Take off often feels weird. It's like you're going up a hill with a steep incline but at 200mph.

Turbulance is horrid

You will often be notified moments before turbulent periods, take off and landing to put your seatbelt on.

All planes are required to provide a magazine (located in front of your seat) which demonstrate emergency procedures, as well as an actual show by staff, imminently before taking to the runway.

Some planes show films - but this is more a long distance thing. Unlike BA when I went to America, neither Monarch nor easyjet played a film on the way to/from Spain.

If you're a long way from a 'communal screen' you will be informed every half hour so of your position and estimated arrival time. When I went to Spain I remember we were just coming into Paris 30 minutes into the journey, and that there was 1 hour 20 minutes of flight time remaining.

Oh and unlike Eurostar/Ferries your luggage will be weighed - over the company's guidelines (depending who you're with - Ryanair are apparently VERY tight on this) you will need to pay extra.

From the three airlines I've had experience with

I recommend: British Airways, Monarch
    I'm not a fan of: easyjet
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Once I was caught in a typhoon over the South China Sea on the way to Borneo from Hong Kong. The pilot told everyone to buckle up as it appeared that he had been surprised by the weather and then went on to say that a typhoon had moved in faster than he expected, not something anyone wants to hear their pilot say.

Then shortly afterwards it was like a giant hand had gripped the plane and was trying to shake the passengers out of the doors and there was much screaming and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

That ride was definitely worth the price of admission though...

After landing I took a screen capture of the weather radar...
    :eek: I've never been through anything like that.
    I think I've been pretty fortunate in my flights. Though the majority of the ones I've done have been UK to mainland europe, and four transatlantics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXvS5b9jVE

This should answer some of your questions. It's aimed at people who have a fear of flying, but should answer some of your curiosity about what it feels like

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

Thanks peeps!
    Your ears might also hurt due to the pressure change during take off and landing, but they usually give disposable ear plugs that you can wear (Not sure if easyjet do or if it's available on all travel classes so you may have to buy it before hand).

ReputationRep:
    Exciting I love flying and being in an airport early in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, you're going to Reykjavik - very jealous... I was there in August and it was amazing! How long are you planning on going for?

Anyway, from Glasgow, the flight was about 2 hours so it should be the same going from Edinburgh. The airport is definitely one of the worst parts - especially when you're past security and have nothing to do. I usually just sit down and browse the internet on my phone or get a drink. For the flight, I'd recommend bringing a book or a magazine because it will make the journey fly by (excuse the pun!)

I find the worst bit it coming down to land since I don't deal with the pressure change very well. Bring some sweets or something to suck on and you should be fine.

One thing - checking in on the way home from Keflavik is absolutely manic! Make sure you leave plenty of time because from what I remember, there wasn't really a queue - just a bundle of people desperate to get a move on! :P

Remember you can't bring liquids unless they're less than 100ml and in a sealed clear plastic bag. Batteries are also not allowed now (I nearly lost my camera because of this :mad:) Oh, and don't forget your passport!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I've flown a lot and get bad travel sickness from the smells, not the actual moving. I'm odd like that. So I just took anti sickness/sleeping tablets and ko-ed all the way to Miami

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liammm)
    Oooh, you're going to Reykjavik - very jealous... I was there in August and it was amazing! How long are you planning on going for?

Anyway, from Glasgow, the flight was about 2 hours so it should be the same going from Edinburgh. The airport is definitely one of the worst parts - especially when you're past security and have nothing to do. I usually just sit down and browse the internet on my phone or get a drink. For the flight, I'd recommend bringing a book or a magazine because it will make the journey fly by (excuse the pun!)

I find the worst bit it coming down to land since I don't deal with the pressure change very well. Bring some sweets or something to suck on and you should be fine.

One thing - checking in on the way home from Keflavik is absolutely manic! Make sure you leave plenty of time because from what I remember, there wasn't really a queue - just a bundle of people desperate to get a move on! :P

Remember you can't bring liquids unless they're less than 100ml and in a sealed clear plastic bag. Batteries are also not allowed now (I nearly lost my camera because of this :mad:) Oh, and don't forget your passport!
    Batteries are allowed.

Strictly speaking the problem is Li-ion batteries when carried in the hold luggage, but the only time I had a problem with this was when I tried it in Shenzhen and they pulled my bag out after it had gone through a machine and started yelling at me in Chinese, so I had to pull everything even remotely objectionable out and show them while they shook their heads, until I got to my spare laptop battery which I had transferred over because the airline were really strict on carry on weight.

That went into my coat pocket and then we continued as normal.

Given the shoddy quality and worldwide notoriety which comes with many Chinese made Li-ion batteries, often no name branded or counterfeit, I can certainly understand why they had a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    -shrugs-

Fiery death and stuff.

Nahhhh, it's fiiiiiine. Very tedious whilst waiting to get onto the actual plane, but it'll all be an experience for you You can join the swathes of kids who sit beside the window in the departure lounge that oogle at the rather large jumbo jet that you INEVITABLY never get on.

With my luck, I end up on one of these :|

Name:  cessna182.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  60.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    I'be always found that actually looking for a flight is the worst part about flying, cause you have so many options these days. Which airport, which airline, which site offers the best prices (personally i go with http://www.fly.co.uk, I'm quite happy with them)... Then you'll have to figure out how to get to the airport, what's cheapest, how to get from the other airport and so forth. If you fly with light luggage, most of what you actually do is sitting arround waiting for something to happen. And you might want to bring a book or your iPod, cause when it's clouded, a flight is rather boring I think.

ReputationRep:
    You're in a tin can shot through the air at 500mph full of other people's farts.

I believe my post is the most descriptive here, reward me with several up votes :awesome:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Liammm)

Hey thanks for your reply I'm only going for a week sadly! Lol. It looks sooo beautiful. I really can't wait to go.

Oh about the camera/battery thing. I was planning on taking my digital camera which has a battery in it, would that be ok? Also what about mobile phones since they have batteries? Or is it just batteries like AA etc that aren't allowed? Sorry if this sounds silly but I'm a noob when it comes to air travel :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for your reply I'm only going for a week sadly! Lol. It looks sooo beautiful. I really can't wait to go.

Oh about the camera/battery thing. I was planning on taking my digital camera which has a battery in it, would that be ok? Also what about mobile phones since they have batteries? Or is it just batteries like AA etc that aren't allowed? Sorry if this sounds silly but I'm a noob when it comes to air travel :P
    Ahh lucky! I'd definitely go to the Blue Lagoon and try doing the Golden Circle trip (Geysir and Gulfoss.) But I guess you're probably planning on doing them. To be honest, any more than a week in Reykjavik will probably get boring unless you have friends to visit or have a lot of money! If you're hiring a car, I'd recommend just driving out the city because the landscape really is extraordinary. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

About the battery thing, the other guy who quoted me was right - I was being a bit vague. This site explains more about the battery rules. In short, camera, phone, laptop, AA batteries etc are all fine. I've never had a problem with batteries apart from when I last flew. I found that my camera battery had been taken out and hadn't been put back in it. But yeah, this was probably because I had it in the hold luggage rather than in hand luggage. Just keep your camera/phone in your hand luggage and you'll be absolutely fine!

Let us know how you got on when you're back!

ReputationRep:

Thanks peeps!

It's so good!! A lot of people complain about the time it takes to get on the actual plane and take off, and then the travelling and getting out of the airport at the other end. But to me, it's all part of the experience. Taking off is so much fun! I remember when I went on a plane last year, and I was so excited I think I wee'd a little. Haha. Have fun! It's brilliant. Remember the whole thing about the amount of liquids allowed to be taken onboard and the fact your ears may hurt ( mine always do) so bring hardboiled sweets to suck on as I have heard that can help. Make sure you get the window seat. Easyjet really isn't that bad, just don't expect the best customer service ever or the fanciest flight. It's still good though xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well, its really fun, as I am a frequent traveller I am used to it. Literally, when the plane takes off its a bit scary cause the plane shakes a bit, only for 5 minutes but then its fine. When it reaches the clouds there may be some turbulence but then when it reaches its altitude it will be fine and the seat belt signs switch off.The landing is the best bit!

Have a nice holiday

ReputationRep:
    i was nervous the first time i went on a plane, it was exciting and really awesome

by the way how long is ur flight?

ReputationRep:
    I love taking off, HATE landing, my ears always feel so painful in the last 10 minutes of the flight, like a screw driver is in my ear :sad:
    But I think I just have really bad ears when it comes to flying, no one I knows gets it that bad.

Take things to do with you, have a sleep, get up a few times in the flight to stretch your legs. Enjoy

ReputationRep:

These are all fine. Plenty of people take all of these things on every single flight.

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out that you want to get on your plane as much as possible if you're seats are not booked (as they usually aren't on Easyjet). If you're last, you may end up sat apart.

Other than that, Easyjet aren't half bad for short distances. They have an excellent trolley service now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    - suck on some sweets.
    werther's originals :drool:

Best thing about flying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.