Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmon92)
    what made you change your mind about doing nursing instead of counselling? As I am looking at nursing and also psychology to become a psychotherapist however I am struggling with which to go for!
    Have you considered mental health nursing? A combination of nursing and psychology, possibly better job opportunity's also. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anoth3rhobo)
    I've only just read this, so apologies for the late reply. However, I share the belief that uni isn't for everybody - a close friend of mine didn't go to college, let alone uni. I think people find their own path, which, quite rightly, isn't always academic. I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy regardless!
    yes, Im sure i'll find something involving cutting up cardboard boxes, shifting bags and wrapping up crockery...

oh wait. I already have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdLittleO)
    I'm in my third year of a psychology degree, a part of me regrets choosing it and another part of me is glad I chose it.

Before I went to uni I was undecided between nursing and going into counselling and becoming a clinical psychologist. I was pretty much set up for nursing but I was really enjoying psychology a-level and I got caught up in it. I figured if I applied for a psychology degree it would keep my options open with it having so many branches and academic prospects, whereas nursing meant I could only be a nurse.
    So, off I went and three years later here I am. About to finish a psychology degree. Funnily enough, I'm in the process of getting a place onto a nursing course as the desire to be a nurse has prevailed. Without my degree I wouldn't have even been considered for an interview as I got below the standards for a level grades. It's a relevant degree as well, even though I'm not going for mental health branch. Some apply with English degrees and the like.
    I've really enjoyed my course though and had a great 3 years despite not choosing nursing in the first place (it was easier to get onto back then than it is now).
    Psychology can open many doors so long as It's bps accredited, people who are passionate go on to study a masters+PhD which lands you in a really good job ranging from clinical psychologist to educational psychologist.
    Many people take this degree out of interest and/or assume It's an easy route into becoming a psychologist, but it isn't. It requires hard work and dedication to reach that level. Places for PhDs are competitive.
    The course also has many transferable skills that can be applied to a lot of jobs, which helped with my nursing application.
    Kinda gone off topic but I just wanted to say my own reasons for studying psychology. It isn't as pointless as it seems.

(Please excuse any incoherence, I've had a crappy day)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the same dilemma right now. Undecided between nursing and psychology, but right now I'm leaning more towards nursing because a job is kind of guaranteed because hospitals always need nurses but with psychology it's hard to get a job straight out of uni. They are both really competitive courses to get on to so I'm not sure, what do you think?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by safiyyah98)
    I'm in the same dilemma right now. Undecided between nursing and psychology, but right now I'm leaning more towards nursing because a job is kind of guaranteed because hospitals always need nurses but with psychology it's hard to get a job straight out of uni. They are both really competitive courses to get on to so I'm not sure, what do you think?
    You could always do graduate nursing if you wanted to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    You could always do graduate nursing if you wanted to
    So I could do a psychology degree then do nursing after? Like a postgraduate course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by safiyyah98)
    So I could do a psychology degree then do nursing after? Like a postgraduate course?
    Yes exactly. I also know someone who did an undergraduate midwifery course after doing an academic degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Yes exactly. I also know someone who did an undergraduate midwifery course after doing an academic degree
    That's a very good idea actually, thank you! I'll definitely consider it 😊

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to be open minded when it comes to subjects like Psychology. Ofcourse it is difficult and finding a job that is directly related to your course is even more difficult but a fatalistic attitude of despair will not help you find a job. I hate people that go into Psychology and say negative things about the job prospects. Seriously. Maybe you should try waking up in the morning & saying "Psychology is an amazing subject. It gives you a plethora of transferable skills and makes you employable". The thing is, if you are passionate about Psychology (like I am), you won't care about the job prospects, you'll just try your best. For expample, I'm doing a 4 year Psychology course with a placement year. I already have experience from volunteering in a clinical setting and at a dementia home. I'm trying my best. After my course, I'm gonna take a year out to work, then I'm going back for a masters in the same field. I want this so bad and I think I will succeed in Psychology because my dedication is on 100. I've always known I wanted to do this. There is nothing else for me, just Psychology. Do you understand this kind of dedication? If you're unsure about Psychology, don't do it because if you're unsure, that means you're not passionate. Psychology is only fit a certain amount of people, I don't think it's the right course for everyone. Some of you are very misinformed and are misguided about what the subject actually consists of.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the wasters who go into useless degrees like English, Art, Psychology. Well, at least it's better for me, to have less people in STEM; even easier to get employed and earn better.
    Seriously, say you like Art, why not take a responsible university degree and keep Art as a hobby? What seperates a hobbyist artist and one who did the degree? A piece of paper. Same can't be said of hobbyist engineers and university engineers.
    I love playing guitar to bits, but you don't see me studying music as I'm perfectly content to play without that piece of paper. If you ever wish to financially support a family of your own, or your parents, or even yourself comfortably, certain degrees are irresponsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdLittleO)
    I'm in my third year of a psychology degree, a part of me regrets choosing it and another part of me is glad I chose it.

Before I went to uni I was undecided between nursing and going into counselling and becoming a clinical psychologist. I was pretty much set up for nursing but I was really enjoying psychology a-level and I got caught up in it. I figured if I applied for a psychology degree it would keep my options open with it having so many branches and academic prospects, whereas nursing meant I could only be a nurse.
    So, off I went and three years later here I am. About to finish a psychology degree. Funnily enough, I'm in the process of getting a place onto a nursing course as the desire to be a nurse has prevailed. Without my degree I wouldn't have even been considered for an interview as I got below the standards for a level grades. It's a relevant degree as well, even though I'm not going for mental health branch. Some apply with English degrees and the like.
    I've really enjoyed my course though and had a great 3 years despite not choosing nursing in the first place (it was easier to get onto back then than it is now).
    Psychology can open many doors so long as It's bps accredited, people who are passionate go on to study a masters+PhD which lands you in a really good job ranging from clinical psychologist to educational psychologist.
    Many people take this degree out of interest and/or assume It's an easy route into becoming a psychologist, but it isn't. It requires hard work and dedication to reach that level. Places for PhDs are competitive.
    The course also has many transferable skills that can be applied to a lot of jobs, which helped with my nursing application.
    Kinda gone off topic but I just wanted to say my own reasons for studying psychology. It isn't as pointless as it seems.

(Please excuse any incoherence, I've had a crappy day)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where did you study Psychology? I went to Cardiff, hated the overwhelming amount of stats and dropped out

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 12, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.