Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

£10 MILLION publically funded funeral for Thatcher?!?!!??! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so it's £10,000,000. On a national scale, that is not much at all. In fact, it's very cheap.

In the UK, there are approximately 60,000,000 tax payers. Ok, well, that's £0.17 per person. You'd be buying Margaret Thatcher less than a fredo chocolate bar. It seems silly for people to get very angry over this. If it were more than, lets say, £5.00, then I would start expecting raised eyebrows, but 17p? Bah!

I rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    It's a high-profile event which will need a lot of security. That costs. £10 million is a drop in the bucket in the government's budget, really. Not a big deal.
    but you care if a 'scrounger ' or poor unemployed person is recieveing 70 pound a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppie)
    Ok, so it's £10,000,000. On a national scale, that is not much at all. In fact, it's very cheap.

In the UK, there are approximately 60,000,000 tax payers. Ok, well, that's £0.17 per person. You'd be buying Margaret Thatcher less than a fredo chocolate bar. It seems silly for people to get very angry over this. If it were more than, lets say, £5.00, then I would start expecting raised eyebrows, but 17p? Bah!

I rest my case.
    Against a background where they are busy turfing disabled people out of their homes because they don't want to allow them to have a spare bedroom because (allegedly) the government can't afford it, then yes, £10m is a lot.

Or might it be that the need for austerity is actually exaggerated and that the cuts are ideologically motivated?

Or another possibility - is austerity not an issue when it comes to making political capital out of Mrs Thatcher's death, something she would doubtless (and we in fact know did) have approved of? When it comes to state propaganda, apparently money is no object.

John Prescott has today suggested that "the 13,000 millionaires who had each received a £100,000 tax cut as a result of the government's reduction in the top rate of tax should instead each contribute £770 to pay for it.".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    John Prescott has today suggested that "the 13,000 millionaires who had each received a £100,000 tax cut as a result of the government's reduction in the top rate of tax should instead each contribute £770 to pay for it.".
    Yet income tax for millionaires is higher than when he was Deputy Prime Minister, rather hypocritical of him.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to point out that the fact that it might be a minor percentage of the budget or what we spend on the EU doesn't mean it's not a huge amount. In a time of public spending cuts to the boot it is certainly right and proper that people raise the question of the amount.

ReputationRep:
    Against a background where they are busy turfing disabled people out of their homes because they don't want to allow them to have a spare bedroom because (allegedly) the government can't afford it, then yes, £10m is a lot.

Or might it be that the need for austerity is actually exaggerated and that the cuts are ideologically motivated?

Or another possibility - is austerity not an issue when it comes to making political capital out of Mrs Thatcher's death, something she would doubtless (and we in fact know did) have approved of? When it comes to state propaganda, apparently money is no object.

There is very little one can do with £10,000,000 to make a very big change. The many times over this country could pay £10,000,000 is numerous, so if it could have made a change, it would have done already.

And it's not like it's stealing £10,000,000 from a specific person, it's asking for £0.17 from people to give a politician a dignified send off. Whether you liked or disliked her policies, Margaret Thatcher was the first female prime minister, supposedly helped female figures get to higher positions of power, took back the Falklands from the Argentines, and helped bring peace in the Cold War. All politics aside, she did great things, and I believe that is what she should be remembered for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    My funeral would not be paid for if I keeled over and died tomorrow, provided my family could afford the burden on their own. The Thatcher estate is rich enough to cover the cost of the extravagant funeral they have chosen to throw. I accept the security costs being picked up by the taxpayer but the actual service itself, as it is not protocol to provide such a funeral to all ex-PM's and I don't see why she should receive one.
    The family haven't chosen to throw an extravagant funeral.

As for the rest, I have already covered it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Yet income tax for millionaires is higher than when he was Deputy Prime Minister, rather hypocritical of him.
    Although during Blair/Brown there was at least theoretically a boom and full employment, with (supposedly) no pressing austerity concerns. This kind of thing reads differently during a full-on austerity campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    This is not my reasoning. This was the assertion of the Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary used as a justification for the high spending. I did not state that I agreed with their assertion - which, as you say, is an unfounded justification.
    I didn't mean to imply that you did agree, sorry if I worded it in that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    No one has a problem with people giving their opinion providing it's not within sight of someone's funeral taking place.
    seeing as it is publically funded i think they are well within their right to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Just think of it as £1 from 10,000,000 tax payers. Considering we have a population of 60+million in the UK, £10,000,000 isn't really all that much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Regardless it is someones family saying goodbye to a loved-one. Protest after the funeral is over, protest at Parliament if you think they have made it a spectacle but not in the middle of someone's funeral, it's in poor taste, show's a lack of class and I hope if anyone does they get a baton to the head and the harshest charges that can be brought.
    then they should have a normal funeral, non publicised and private, familial. there should be police to ensure the odd nutjob doesn't turn up but if there hadn't been such a circus about the actual funeral, people wouldn't be protesting anything... you would just have a few obsessives trying to cause trouble and grave dancing.

ReputationRep:
    Not only is that a completely cockend way of summing up the welfare reforms, I find the logic against the funeral costs rather dubious. Basically your saying that unless the government spends an extortionate sum of money on welfare, then it shouldn't spend anything at all?

Well Osborne tried finding £100 billion down the back of his couch, but the search was fruitless.

How'd he work out £100 k?
    I also like how he forgets to mention it's still higher now than it was for most of Labour's 13 years in power

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    I didn't mean to imply that you did agree, sorry if I worded it in that way
    That's fair enough - I might have possibly lightly misinterpreted what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    The irony is, the people who are complaining about public money being spent on her funeral are the people who will be in the capital causing trouble, and further increasing the cost of policing :curious:
    Well not exactly. I'd wager quite a few people are adverse to having their taxes pay for a stranger's funeral yet it was just over 200 people that went to trafalgar square last night to cause trouble.

ReputationRep:
    How is this costing 10 million? Where does that number originate from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    My mum gets a pay freeze and that ***** gets a £10m funeral in the same vain as Princess Diana. Absolutely disgusting.
    A public sector pay freeze while the private sector (which she championed) crumbles under the weight of heavy taxation, redundancies and an economy in freefall.

My heart bleeds for her.

Why shouldn't the wealth creator's tax money be spent on the only PM of modern times who put them first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Apparently, Mr William Hague and Prime Minister Cameron asserted that Mrs Thatcher's efforts regarding the EU brought £75billion into the country; ergo, they reason, millions spent on her funeral arrangements does not even make a dent in that.

Additionally, Mrs Thatcher's estate is also bearing some of the costs.

Finally, I believe the cost is so massive due to the amount of people who will be turning up which include the high and mighty such as former Heads of States and World Leaders, not to mention Her Majesty.
    I believe the cost is so massive due to the amount of people who the Government will be taxing in order to pay for it...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black_Materia_)
    I believe the cost is so massive due to the amount of people who the Government will be taxing in order to pay for it...!
    True, but there are also costly issues like security. Although the big names that will turn up will undoubtedly have their own security details, the State would still need to fully secure the areas and places where the whole thing will be taking place (especially to safeguard against anti-Thatcher groups and protest groups) - that would be very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    So because she brought money to the country which is expected of a leader, she deserves to have 7.5% of that spent on her funeral? You best be ****ing kidding me.
    I'm afraid not. I'm afraid that this is the justification advocated by both Mr Hague and Mr Cameron.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.