Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    That's a good idea, seeing as lucid dreaming seems to be garnering more and more interest. Have you ever tried inducing an LD through sleep paralysis? I tried to enter sleep paralysis last night and managed to lie there without moving for about half an hour. Occasionally, I would feel a pins and needles sensation in my limbs and have very brief moments of vertigo or weightlessness, but nothing significant happened. Is the best way just to set my alarm for around 4-5am and then try to enter it?
    Message has been sent, fingers crossed :P I have, scary stuff the first time. What you need to do for sleep paralysis is not just lie still but relax as well, almost to the point where you're asleep. If you lay there wide awake expecting it to happen then it wont come as quickly. However sleep paralysis is different for everyone, some people get hallucinations, whispers in their ear and other crazy stuff, but then others like myself just lose the ability to move. It varies from person to person. Something which helps me induce SP better is to listen to Lucid Dreaming binaural beats whilst I'm doing it. They sound weird at first but if you just lie still and listen they really help Also, it is better to do it at 4-5am yes :P

(Original post by tealover96)
    I remember my dreams from the past few days really well! None of them were lucid though as I've only just recently heard about this. A dream a few days ago was zombies in a coach on the motorway but my gun had no bullets so the zombies just laughed at me. Another dream was me and my friends sitting and drinking shots in school...but a teacher bought the alcohol :P seriously want to have a lucid dream now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's awesome and amusing! After your first one (which will be tonight btw :P) you'll feel on top of the world. Good luck! Not that you need it :P

(Original post by Smaug123)
    It might take you a couple of gos before you can become lucid and not wake up straight away (I never had this problem, but apparently many people do) - don't get discouraged if that happens The fact that you want a lucid dream is a pretty good start, because the subconscious mind does all sorts of interesting things when we want it to. It's also a great sign if you're remembering your dreams long-term; after all, it's no use being lucid if you don't remember the experience!
    Someone's clearly a natural If we do get this subfourm then I think it'd be a good idea to have a motivation thread where people post/showcase their best Lucid Dreams, that's always good for motivation I think
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by djpatch)
    Someone's clearly a natural
    I'm not very good at control, though - things have an annoying habit of becoming normal very quickly - eg. I put on a jetpack, and it's vanished by the time I come to pull the trigger on it. The superpower-injection trick works better for me - maybe because there's nothing to vanish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very good at control, though - things have an annoying habit of becoming normal very quickly - eg. I put on a jetpack, and it's vanished by the time I come to pull the trigger on it. The superpower-injection trick works better for me - maybe because there's nothing to vanish.
    So nearly every dream for you is a race against time haha. Maybe try not to rush things? Or if you summon things right in front of your eyes that usually really makes the dream unstable. Maybe look in a cupboard for a jetpack next time? If you take your time, things might stick around a bit longer :P Something that always helped me is to drop to the ground and feel how real the floor and everything feels and then shout into the dream things like "I am dreaming!" and "I am in control of this dream!". Things like that really usually really help
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    So nearly every dream for you is a race against time haha. Maybe try not to rush things? Or if you summon things right in front of your eyes that usually really makes the dream unstable. Maybe look in a cupboard for a jetpack next time? If you take your time, things might stick around a bit longer :P Something that always helped me is to drop to the ground and feel how real the floor and everything feels and then shout into the dream things like "I am dreaming!" and "I am in control of this dream!". Things like that really usually really help
    Thanks, I've never tried that - I'll give it a go This is why a subforum would be good, for advice and ideas! I've started remembering my dreams again, so I think it's time to start trying regularly for lucidity again.
    What induction do you use? I've only ever had success with reality checks during dreams - I've never managed a wakeful induction. Every so often I've just realised I was in a dream without doing any checks, but otherwise it's just down to noticing that I have far too many fingers
    EDIT: Also, PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've never tried that - I'll give it a go This is why a subforum would be good, for advice and ideas! I've started remembering my dreams again, so I think it's time to start trying regularly for lucidity again.
    What induction do you use? I've only ever had success with reality checks during dreams - I've never managed a wakeful induction. Every so often I've just realised I was in a dream without doing any checks, but otherwise it's just down to noticing that I have far too many fingers
    EDIT: Also, PRSOM

Indeed it would be good for these reasons I'm hoping to get back into really regular LDs too. I generally use DILD with a mix of MILD, ADA and occasionally WBTB (If you don't know what they mean just say and I'll explain haha :P). Wakeful induction? Oh right, I know them as WILD, I've never managed one either, they're very tricky to perform. Ooh you do the fingers RC, interesting. I usually do the nose plug one xD

PRSOM? What? O.o
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Indeed it would be good for these reasons I'm hoping to get back into really regular LDs too. I generally use DILD with a mix of MILD, ADA and occasionally WBTB (If you don't know what they mean just say and I'll explain haha :P). Wakeful induction? Oh right, I know them as WILD, I've never managed one either, they're very tricky to perform. Ooh you do the fingers RC, interesting. I usually do the nose plug one xD

PRSOM? What? O.o
    ADA I don't recognise
    PRSOM = "Please rate some other member" - it means I tried to give you rep, but the system wouldn't let me because I've already repped you recently.

ReputationRep:
    ADA I don't recognise
    PRSOM = "Please rate some other member" - it means I tried to give you rep, but the system wouldn't let me because I've already repped you recently.
    ADA - All Day Awareness, it's basically questioning reality all day so it shows through in your dreams, it includes RC's and things like that :P

Ahh I tried to do the same to you earlier :')

ReputationRep:
    Do you have hallucinations or get vibrations when you enter sleep paralysis? I never have done which is probably why I've never minded going into sp.

On another note, with quite a few people interested in lucid dreaming on here maybe there should be a lucid dream sub-forum?
    No I just can't move although some people do have terrfying hallucinations it usually goes off in about a minute and i find if i can relax it goes away in a matter of about 10 seconds or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    No I just can't move although some people do have terrfying hallucinations it usually goes off in about a minute and i find if i can relax it goes away in a matter of about 10 seconds or so.
    Ah nice and simple then

ReputationRep:
    Is it the name of the latest all-girl band?

(sorry if thats been suggested-I havnt read the other posts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Is it the name of the latest all-girl band?

(sorry if thats been suggested-I havnt read the other posts)
    Is what the name of the latest all-girl band?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Is what the name of the latest all-girl band?
    Heh, "Lucid Dreaming" actually does sound a bit like a band :P

ReputationRep:
    Heh, "Lucid Dreaming" actually does sound a bit like a band :P
    Now that you mention it... I can see why anyone would think that xD

ReputationRep:
    Finally my exams are all done which means I have more time to get back into LDing!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Finally my exams are all done which means I have more time to get back into LDing!
    Excellent I had a LD this morning (sort of a WILD), and your "This is a dream, I can control the dream" shouting trick worked really well, thanks
    I also did a lot of digging my hands into the earth, to feel the realness of it, and at one point when I came particularly close to waking up, I could feel the duvet instead - which was bizarre!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent I had a LD this morning (sort of a WILD), and your "This is a dream, I can control the dream" shouting trick worked really well, thanks
    I also did a lot of digging my hands into the earth, to feel the realness of it, and at one point when I came particularly close to waking up, I could feel the duvet instead - which was bizarre!
    Glad to hear it worked well It's odd you could feel the duvet, must have been quite a light dream. Oh well plenty more attempts to be had

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    Don't think of trying lucid dreaming. Sometimes it will go wrong and you will have dreams that haunt you for the rest of your life.

Some things are psychological like we never see ourselves in a mirror, or even look in the mirror in the first place, in our dreams.

Lucid dreaming removes these psychological boundaries, and if you see your face in the mirror and the background is black or something really unnatural, then that's gonna **** you up.

Posted from TSR iPad
    Yeah I was so about to try this tonight but no way am I going to even attempt it now...

ReputationRep:
    And how do I get a LD? What do I do?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DnylX3)
    And how do I get a LD? What do I do?
    Essentially, you practise thinking about your environment and asking yourself whether it's real. In practice, you're well on the way if you can train yourself to test throughout the day whether you're in a dream - if it becomes habit to do so, then you're pretty likely to perform a "reality check" in a dream at some point; when the check fails, that tells you that you're dreaming.
    It takes some time (weeks) to learn to induce a LD, so don't expect to have one tonight unless you've been thinking about dreams quite a bit recently. The Wikibook on the subject is really really useful.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, you practise thinking about your environment and asking yourself whether it's real. In practice, you're well on the way if you can train yourself to test throughout the day whether you're in a dream - if it becomes habit to do so, then you're pretty likely to perform a "reality check" in a dream at some point; when the check fails, that tells you that you're dreaming.
    It takes some time (weeks) to learn to induce a LD, so don't expect to have one tonight unless you've been thinking about dreams quite a bit recently. The Wikibook on the subject is really really useful.
    Is it possible to do it by tommorow, it is friday after all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.