Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    jenkinson scored a brilliant own goal in his debut and had the worst possible debut season. this season he has been inconsistent - playing very good then very **** the following match. i'm sorry, he aint no philip lahm

i havent even seen eisfeld play yet (aka he is ****)

giroud has also been ****, lets be honest. man united sign RVP, PSG sign ibrahimovic and who do we sign? ****ing olivier giroud

nah no club will ever spend 35mil on carrol or 50mil on torres again, that was a one off season. torres was on fire at the time they made the signing though - im sure none of us would have minded if wenger splashed some cash on him (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

these guys have been running london's best club for how many years? i'm sure they know more about football than u do son
    Lazy argument there mate. Jenkinson, when he plays, has looked a better and more consistent RB than Sagna has this season. And 'he aint no Philip Lahm' well he as good as out showed him at the Allianz last month. On top of all this Jenkinson has come on leaps and bounds after his first few games as an Arsenal player

I've never watched a game Neymar has played yet I could call him rubbish for all I knew so wait till you see a player before casting judgement r.e Eisfeld.

Giroud has done well for his first season considering the shoes he is filling, the fact he's our only real striker, he's adapting to a new league and in his development stage - late starter - is nowhere near his peak ability/condition yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Reports in Italy saying we've made a £20.5m bid for Jovetic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    Lazy argument there mate. Jenkinson, when he plays, has looked a better and more consistent RB than Sagna has this season. And 'he aint no Philip Lahm' well he as good as out showed him at the Allianz last month. On top of all this Jenkinson has come on leaps and bounds after his first few games as an Arsenal player
    sagna has been **** all season (jenkinson equally). says a lot when u have to compare him to a fullback in terrible form

jenkinson as good as lahm? LOL. all i remember from jenkinson that night is him getting bullied by the corner flag for the last 5 mins by robben. lahm destroyed us at the emirates and played very well at the allianz too actually, we were lucky to win 2-0 (they didn't turn up but still deserved a draw at the very least)

(Original post by eh13)
    I've never watched a game Neymar has played yet I could call him rubbish for all I knew so wait till you see a player before casting judgement r.e Eisfeld.
    if u were a santos/brazil supporter and hadn't seen him play u can say that.

and what are u living under a rock or something? how have u not seen the guy play

(Original post by eh13)
    Giroud has done well for his first season considering the shoes he is filling, the fact he's our only real striker, he's adapting to a new league and in his development stage - late starter - is nowhere near his peak ability/condition yet.
    cazorla filling in fabregas' shoes pretty well. adapted to a new league pretty well too

why are we still trying to convince ourselves giroud is good? he is a poor man's andy carrol. get rid of him, bring in this jovetic guy

ReputationRep:
    Subbuteod!

ReputationRep:
    sagna has been **** all season (jenkinson equally). says a lot when u have to compare him to a fullback in terrible form

jenkinson as good as lahm? LOL. all i remember from jenkinson that night is him getting bullied by the corner flag for the last 5 mins by robben. lahm destroyed us at the emirates and played very well at the allianz too actually, we were lucky to win 2-0 (they didn't turn up but still deserved a draw at the very least)

if u were a santos/brazil supporter and hadn't seen him play u can say that.

and what are u living under a rock or something? how have u not seen the guy play

cazorla filling in fabregas' shoes pretty well. adapted to a new league pretty well too

why are we still trying to convince ourselves giroud is good? he is a poor man's andy carrol. get rid of him, bring in this jovetic guy
    Im really sorry but I must have been watching a different Arsenal play if you think Jenkinson has had a poor season.

First leg Lahm ran the show yes, but the second leg Jenkinson won near enough everything that came down his right side that game. Kept a very good control of Robben and restricted him to one shot all game I believe, not a bad accomplishment at all for someone whos had a poor season.

I've seen glimpses of Neymar's trickery (youtube etc.) but never watched a Brazil or Santos game where he's been there so I cant judge his ability over a whole game.

Cazorla is a top class player with winners medals for international tournaments and years of experience at the top level whereas prior to joining Arsenal, Giroud had one and a half years at the top division of the French league, besides PSG who even then werent what they are now, a league that offered very little in top european football ability.

I rate Jovetic highly and long for a player like him at Arsenal, but aswell as him I think we are yet to see the best of Giroud. And a poor mans Andy Carrol doesnt score more and assist more than him, in his first season in the EPL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally think jenkinson has improved yes but still not a fan, I would prefer to have micah richards there over him but what you gonna do, for me sagna was the leagues best right back about 2/3 seasons ago but I dont think hes been anywhere near that good since his leg injury. As for getting jovetic for 20.5mill I think its a bargain tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    I don't think it's a necessarily a good thing, but I do realise that the climate has forced us to change to stay relevant, and there are undeniable benefits we've seen with our transformation over the past two or so decades. I dunno, but I felt, initially at least, Wenger wasn't particularly keen on English players. Don't know if he thought they were overpriced or perhaps he wasn't too fond of the attitudes. As for your bold statement, it would appear so. When was the last time Wenger bought a diehard raving nutcase? Look at all his signings over the past few years and the thing they all have in common is a distinct lack of tenacity. Maybe he sees this as a positive trait, thinking such players will lend a greater chance of not rocking the boat. But if you look at players such as Giroud, Podolski, Ox, Walcott, Gerv, Chamakh, Park, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Eduardo, Arshavin, etc. The last player I can remember him buying that was probably closest to such a character might have been Gallas, and that didn't end well. :dontknow:
    And Wenger himself has realised his mistake. He is not an all seeing guru and got it wrong with regards to physical play and players. Even Robert Pires came out and said that what made the difference was our English players back then. Bergkamp has said it as well, and I take their opinions very seriously since they were the men on the pitch. They are willing to put the extra mile in. Gallas doesn't count. He was idiot and he wasn't tenacious. He was a complete softie (mentally). It was disgusting to see an Arsenal captain behave the way he did at Birmingham. Wenger doesn't sign tenacious characters because he doesn't want to be challenged and he wants to maintain a harmonious environment. That's why the club aren't going anywhere near TA now even though I think the players would benefit immeasurably by having someone of his passion around. I think we've missed out because of that. You need a couple of raving nutcases and hard b*****s (whether they're English or not) on your team. You can actually see that our success had a direct correlation with the number of red cards we used to get.

ReputationRep:
    We're not always the best team at handling injury prone players, and Jovetic definitely comes under that bracket (in fact, he's sidelined now). Really hope he can put his problems behind him if he becomes an Arsenal player.

ReputationRep:
    As a neutral, I really can't decide who will finish 3rd/4th between Arsenal and Spurs..

Arsenal fixtures
    Everton (H) - competing for 4th
    Fulham (A) - not much to play for
    Man Utd (H) - RVP wanting to do well, not much to play for
    QPR (A) - should be confirmed as relegated by this point
    Wigan (H) - will be fighting relegation so tough
    Newcastle (A) - should be clear from relegation or fighting for their lives

Tottenham fixtures
    Man City (H) - not much to play for but in good form
    Wigan (A) - fighting the drop
    Southampton (H) - not much to play for
    Chelsea (A) - competing for CL spots
    Stoke (A) - fighting the drop
    Sunderland (H) - fighting the drop

I think Arsenal have the slightly easier run in but I wouldn't say it's much easier.. Spurs will be a game behind after tonight so I think it's hugely important for Arsenal to win tonight to get the psychological edge..

(Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    We're not always the best team at handling injury prone players, and Jovetic definitely comes under that bracket (in fact, he's sidelined now). Really hope he can put his problems behind him if he becomes an Arsenal player.
    Yeah, this is a concern. Nevertheless, I hope the rumours about us being close to signing him are true, as I really think he could influence our attack in a big way. Some people have noted that he's not a natural finisher and unsuited to leading the line on his own, but I think he brings in qualities that would really complement our system and the players we have, as well as lend a lot of balance to our attacking structure.

Podolski Jovetic Walcott
    Cazorla
    Wilshere Arteta

That's what we're looking at with just the one signing, and I think it's already an improvement on what we have in structural terms. One complaint of our team earlier on in the season was that our attack looked disjointed and stagnant, and I think one of the main reasons for that was that the players in the front three rarely complemented each other. In the above, however, I think Jovetic would really be able to work well: he can play deep as a sort of false number nine and bring in Podolski and Walcott into play in the middle, and I think they'd thrive on the foundation of his technical ability; there'd also be less of a chance of our creative spark being stifled in the way it has been at times this season, as both Jovetic and Cazorla are capable of unlocking defences through the middle. We'd be very fluid, and I don't think we'd have to lose a great deal of width either: just as Podolski and Walcott like drifting into the middle, Jovetic likes to drift out to the left and Cazorla is pretty comfortable drifting out to the right. We'd also likely have a lot of support from our full-backs - which would give them a lot of running to do, though; I think bringing in a defensive midfielder would help rectify that to an extent.

(Original post by Zerforax)
    As a neutral, I really can't decide who will finish 3rd/4th between Arsenal and Spurs..

Arsenal fixtures

Tottenham fixtures

I think Arsenal have the slightly easier run in but I wouldn't say it's much easier.. Spurs will be a game behind after tonight so I think it's hugely important for Arsenal to win tonight to get the psychological edge..
    I agree that it's very close and tonight is pretty much a must-win game. We've got good momentum at the moment but we mustn't forget how close it is; we could finish anywhere between 2nd and 5th, I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

Arsenal fixtures

Tottenham fixtures

Chelsea don't exactly have the best run of fixtures

Fulham (A) Tough team, Martin Jol won't rivals a chance
    Liverpool (A) Playing better football than they did earlier this season, we saw it agaisnt Man City, Arsenal and Spurs
    Swansea (H) Good team, they have the ability to outplay Chelsea
    Man Utd (A) Fergie wont let Man U's performance levels drop, he wont give rivals a chance
    Aston Villa (A) fighting the drop
    Everton (H) They will be fighting for Europa league place after Arsenal beats them
    Tottenham TBC (H) Fighting for Champions league, could be a six pointer

Plus they have the drain of the Europa league

Arsenal need to put Everton BACK in their place with a win tonight. People actually think they have a chance to get into the CL. Arsenal need to win this game to show we deserve to be in the CL. There's no excuses its in our hands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Yeah, this is a concern. Nevertheless, I hope the rumours about us being close to signing him are true, as I really think he could influence our attack in a big way. Some people have noted that he's not a natural finisher and unsuited to leading the line on his own, but I think he brings in qualities that would really complement our system and the players we have, as well as lend a lot of balance to our attacking structure.

Podolski Jovetic Walcott
    Cazorla
    Wilshere Arteta

That's what we're looking at with just the one signing, and I think it's already an improvement on what we have in structural terms. One complaint of our team earlier on in the season was that our attack looked disjointed and stagnant, and I think one of the main reasons for that was that the players in the front three rarely complemented each other. In the above, however, I think Jovetic would really be able to work well: he can play deep as a sort of false number nine and bring in Podolski and Walcott into play in the middle, and I think they'd thrive on the foundation of his technical ability; there'd also be less of a chance of our creative spark being stifled in the way it has been at times this season, as both Jovetic and Cazorla are capable of unlocking defences through the middle. We'd be very fluid, and I don't think we'd have to lose a great deal of width either: just as Podolski and Walcott like drifting into the middle, Jovetic likes to drift out to the left and Cazorla is pretty comfortable drifting out to the right. We'd also likely have a lot of support from our full-backs - which would give them a lot of running to do, though; I think bringing in a defensive midfielder would help rectify that to an extent.
    Excellent post, PRSOM. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him here, it's just that his injury record does instil some fear in me. I'd like to see him play perhaps out wide where he can stretch defences, (wide right, he's featured once this season for Fiorentina), and cut in and shoot, or involve some more natural finishers. He's got an excellent long shot on him and is equally good with both feet, so kind of similar to Cazorla in that respect, but a natural goalscorer he isn't although I don't think anyone expects that of him. He'll bring so much more to the team than just goals, as you've pointed out.
    There's a plethora of options though for Wenger to try out with him, whether it be wide, attacking mid or just off a more natural finisher.

What do you think about playing him in a 4-4-2 up front with Giroud?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)

Liverpool (A) Playing better football than they did earlier this season, we saw it agaisnt Man City, arsenal and Liverpool
    Man Utd (A) Fergie wont let Man U's performance levels drop, he wont give rivals a chance
    Everton (H) They will be fighting for Europa league place after Arsenal beats them

Arsenal need to put Everton BACK in their place with a win tonight. People actually think they have a chance to get into the CL. Arsenal need to win this game to show we deserve to be in the CL. There's no excuses its in our hands
    Interesting... I didn't know Chelski still have to United away. I think they will potentially drop 9 points. Liverpool will beat them, and so will United. Against Spuds, they can either win points, or both teams can drop points. So, it's a win win for Arsenal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)

Liverpool (A) Playing better football than they did earlier this season, we saw it agaisnt Man City, arsenal and Liverpool

I agree with you to a degree. My view would be as follows:

Fulham (A) - Nothing to play for but derby pride
    Liverpool (A) - Nothing to play for but trying to prove a point
    Swansea (H) - nothing to play for
    Man Utd (A) - Might have the title won by this point but SAF will want to beat Rafa
    Tottenham (H) - competing for a top4 place and only 3 days after the Utd game
    Aston Villa (A) - fighting for survival in the relegation fight
    Everton (H) - may still be fighting for 4th/5th but I think by this point they will have nothing to fight for. However, may be Moyes' final game in charge.

Think I'd agree that Chelsea's run might be the hardest but they do have a game in hand too. Arsenal are probably in the best form and Chelsea/Spurs are probably about the same.

ReputationRep:
    Im just wondering is the 70mill available to us after we sell players like squillaci and santos or before???

OQ can the emirates be further expanded?

ReputationRep:
    this is the team we need really

fabianski

sagna merty kos monreal

arteta wilshere

cazorla

walcott giroud podolski

ramsey and gervinho shouldn't start. don't be a mug wenger, please

ReputationRep:
    this is the team we need really

fabianski

sagna merty kos monreal

arteta wilshere

cazorla

walcott giroud podolski

ramsey and gervinho shouldn't start. don't be a mug wenger, please
    Na I really think we need Rosicky for this match because of his creativity, I think we missed him against norwich. Wilshire is not fit clearly but I wouldnt mind putting ramsey instead of arteta because he is just ****. I think walcott will murder baines down that right wing so he should start ahead of gervinho

ReputationRep:
    I'll be surprised in Wilshere starts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Na I really think we need Rosicky for this match because of his creativity, I think we missed him against norwich. Wilshire is not fit clearly but I wouldnt mind putting ramsey instead of arteta because he is just ****. I think walcott will murder baines down that right wing so he should start ahead of gervinho
    rosicky will be evertons 12th man if he starts. every time i see the guy play he's just constantly passing the ball to the other team

**** ramsey i'll kill him. he's just a **** james milner

ReputationRep:
    So, Spurs can reach a maximum of 76 points whilst Chelsea can reach a maximum of 79 points. Thus, 72 points should be enough for 3rd place, definetly for a top 4 finish.

So basically we should aim for 13 points in the next 5 games (I don't want any last game drama)- giving us room to drop points in a game.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.