Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do grammar schools give students a fair or unfair advantage for places like uni etc. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Are you literally implying money changes hands for these places?
    I thought I made it clear that this was through tutoring etc

ReputationRep:
    If you did go to grammar school,you have more of a chance to get a job.:K::unimpressed:
    Just in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magical)
    If you did go to grammar school,you have more of a chance to get a job.:K::unimpressed:
    Just in my opinion.
    Hardly, I wouldn't dream of naming my school on a job application...

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly fairer than private schools...However, for those of us who didn't have the option to take the 11+, or to go to anything other than a comprehensive, it does feel a little unfair. To be honest, the whole education system is unfair, and will be until the same thing is offered to everyone, regardless of where they live and how much their parents can pay.

ReputationRep:
    (I go to a grammar school)

During primary I was at a state school, and I didn't do too well, because I wasn't particularly motivated, and the teachers didn't make me work too hard (although that's probably bad teaching as well). I was moved to an independent school and did significantly better there, because of the increased attention and "stretching". Again, I'm now at a grammar because if I was at a comprehensive school I'd probably be content with not trying too hard, but I'm forced to keep working hard at a grammar school.

If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Hardly, I wouldn't dream of naming my school on a job application...
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I also went to a grammar school in Plymouth, same as the OP.

I think the sad reality is that many comprehensives (especially in my hometown) are of shocking standards comparatively. I went to a comp for my A levels and I could definitely tell the difference.

Obviously I'm not saying that the less able students should be put down, but why shouldn't those who are more able be given the chance to do their best? I do think that all schools should be of the same standards, so that clever students in comps can do as well, but I don't think removing grammar schools is going to do this. I know that some students in comps get amazing results, and good on them, but in many cases they have to work harder with less support just to be on the same level.

Also, with the tutoring thing, I think I did have some tutoring, but it was a few sessions not hundreds of pounds worth. I also very much doubt that many of my friends did, seeing as a large majority of the people in my school were from the poor areas of the city and lived in council houses. It may be the case in some areas, but I think in my home town tutoring is not so much of an issue because generally it is quite a poor area of the country.

To summarise: why take away something that helps some students just because not everyone benefits from it? You can't hold back people so that others don't feel left out, or upset etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.