Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Messy handwriting = smart people? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enavor)
    Fair point, I'll clarify for you.

People say messy = smarter in some posts. I assume they mean smarter than average; if my assumption is wrong then I apologise.

I'm saying that more people have messier hand writing than neat. If a sample of 100 letters were written, about 65 or so would be considered "messy".

Does that mean 65% of the sample is smarter than the average bloke, which some posters assume?
    Again, surely only 50 would be considered messy? Something is only X if it's more X than the average, at least in my view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's average.

Note I said "not always."

I base my answer on the fact that there are generations of teachers/teaching assistants in my family and they have always commented on the most intelligent students often having messy handwriting.

It's an unfounded generalization. It doesn't hold much credibility.

In short, it shouldn't be believed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    It's average.

I base my answer on the fact that there are generations of teachers/teaching assistants in my family and they have always commented on the most intelligent students often having messy handwriting.
    There are more messy writers than neat, so by sample size alone its fair to say that the chances of finding a smart messy writer is easier than finding a smart near writer.

PS. I appreciate your honesty in telling me how good your hand writing is.

ReputationRep:
    I do know someone in my class who's a girl and has really bad handwriting, no one can understand it, she writes like 5 pages in 30 minutes, and yes she gets A*'s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    That's a good point, I didn't really think about co-ordination. I wouldn't have thought that they have a leash over their minds though, many extremely clever people are diagnosed with schizophrenia, so they don't exactly have lots control over their minds.
    You're now making a link between intelligence and mental illness. The truth is that for every schizophrenic genius out there there's a schizophrenic who's clinically retarded. Don't be too won over by Hollywood's stereotyping. Autism/AS and savantism is another one; most autistics/aspies are not savants, contrary to what Rain Man and TCIOTDITNT have taught us.

Intelligence is so hard to define, that's the biggest problem with this thread. To me, its defining factor is organisation of the mind and its thoughts. It's therefore quite strange in my eyes to view someone as intelligent in a general sense when they don't have the mental control to organise a flow of thoughts to the point that they have to just scribble everything down as soon as it enters their head, resulting in messy handwriting. An intelligent person should be able to think extremely quickly but not allow this to scupper their mental organisation - they should have the intellectual muscle to sustain the weight of their fast thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I think the myth comes from the fact that people tend to view those good at maths as 'smart.' And obviously people who do a lot of maths will generally have slightly worse handwriting than normal because they don't practice writing words and stuff as much.

My theory anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    I go to an all girls school and some or my friends are smart and their handwriting is really really messy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is no correlation between messiness and intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    I'm left handed as well. It's amazing because I feel special.
    We are special. Believe it.

People ALWAYS ask us 'Are you left handed?' in an impressed tone whilst watching us write with our left hand.

Special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Again, surely only 50 would be considered messy? Something is only X if it's more X than the average, at least in my view
    In a perfect world, yes. It would be 50 / 50 but we're dealing with real life.

and in real life if you took 100 people and made them write letters I can guarantee about 60 to 65 would be considered messy. (lets just be ''messy'' however and not take into consideration any error analysis or confidence factors).

Hand writing is environmental as well as genetic and all sorts of diseases like Parkinsons can affect hand writing. it's too hard to make a crazy black and white "messy writers are smarter than neat" distinction, surely you agree with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza)
    We are special. Believe it.

People ALWAYS ask us 'Are you left handed?' in an impressed tone whilst watching us write with our left hand.

Special.
    It's more impressive for you than me though, because I'm male.

Statistically males being left handed are much greater than females. So you're "super special!" No Joking.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the actual question, I say it, but I don't believe it.

The smartest people in my year have exceptionally neat handwriting. So from this large sample size, I think it's probably false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Well, if you've spent 5 years at university then it is absolutely the case that I ought to accept unconditionally all the wisdom that spills forth from you and your institution. The eloquence and subtlety of your argument can compel me only to submit to your superior knowledge. I particularly liked the bit where you suggested it might be too intellectually challenging for me. It's like you're calling me stupid, but with bigger words! Only someone from an institution to match the glowing reputation of yours could produce such a remarkably clever insult. I commend you.

In case you're wondering, yes, I am ridiculing you. I am perfectly comfortable insulting both you and your institution. You can't expect to claim that a trait is both genetic and discernible between identical twins and expect not even to be questioned. It it not unfortunate 'not accept things', it is common sense not to believe everything you hear. Since you couldn't cope with the subtlety of my earlier posts (apparently simply highlighting your mistakes doesn't quite make them visible enough for you) I will be more direct this time - I think you are probably an idiot, and any institution that accepted you and tolerated you for five christforsaken years probably sucks ****.
    Lol.

Love,

Luke.

NB. I find it quite disturbing though that you can say things like this and not get a neg rep, whereas I did for merely suggesting to help you with the source I provided, albeit condescendingly.

ReputationRep:
    It's more impressive for you than me though, because I'm male.

Statistically males being left handed are much greater than females. So you're "super special!" No Joking.
    Hmm, I am the only female in my family whose left handed...

Well, I always knew I was destined for great things. Now there is proof!

ReputationRep:
    In a perfect world, yes. It would be 50 / 50 but we're dealing with real life.

and in real life if you took 100 people and made them write letters I can guarantee about 60 to 65 would be considered messy. (lets just be ''messy'' however and not take into consideration any error analysis or confidence factors).

Hand writing is environmental as well as genetic and all sorts of diseases like Parkinsons can affect hand writing. it's too hard to make a crazy black and white "messy writers are smarter than neat" distinction, surely you agree with this?
    But it's not only in a perfect world. We can only judge if handwriting is messy based on what handwriting is normally like. If we met an alien species who had absolutely perfectly neat handwriting, then 100 out of 100 samples of our handwriting would look messy compared to them. But we don't have anything to compare it to apart from other people. So only 50% can be considered messy, it's just a statistical fact.

But yeah, I agree you can't make a black and white distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    You're now making a link between intelligence and mental illness. The truth is that for every schizophrenic genius out there there's a schizophrenic retard. Don't be too won over by Hollywood's stereotyping. Autism/AS and savantism is another one; most autistics/aspies are not savants, contrary to what Rain Man and TCIOTDITNT have taught us.

Intelligence is so hard to define, that's the biggest problem with this thread. To me, its defining factor is organisation of the mind and its thoughts. It's therefore quite strange in my eyes to view someone as intelligent in a general sense when they don't have the mental control to organise a flow of thoughts to the point that they have to just scribble everything down as soon as it enters their head, resulting in messy handwriting. An intelligent person should be able to think extremely quickly but not allow this to scupper their mental organisation - they should have the intellectual muscle to sustain the weight of their fast thinking.
    I didn't mean to make that link, I was just pointing out that many people considered very intelligent may not have control over their minds, so having control over one's mind isn't necessarily an indicator of intelligence. Likewise, many people who do have control over their minds are not considered intelligent.

That is a huge flaw in the whole idea of intelligence, there is basically no definition. Same with beauty, and so many other things. It's all in the eye of the beholder, but it is quite interesting to see how everyone defines these things.

Anyway, I don't think that there could be a link between handwriting and intelligence, it would be nice though, I'd be a genius!

ReputationRep:
    But it's not only in a perfect world. We can only judge if handwriting is messy based on what handwriting is normally like. If we met an alien species who had absolutely perfectly neat handwriting, then 100 out of 100 samples of our handwriting would look messy compared to them. But we don't have anything to compare it to apart from other people. So only 50% can be considered messy, it's just a statistical fact.

But yeah, I agree you can't make a black and white distinction.
    Let's leave out the aliens and stuff - too over complicated for my tiny brain.

Well that's what we could do! We could get a letter, written averagely and see if other peoples hand writing is better or worse than that letter. That would enable us to make a reasonable comparison. (I emphasise reasonable and not perfect).

But the thing I can't agree on is that 50% will have neat hand writing and 50% will have poor hand writing. I simply can't see it realistically, only theoretically. I understand fully what you're saying and I respect your reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Let's leave out the aliens and stuff - too over complicated for my tiny brain.

Well that's what we could do! We could get a letter, written averagely and see if other peoples hand writing is better or worse than that letter. That would enable us to make a reasonable comparison. (I emphasise reasonable and not perfect).

But the thing I can't agree on is that 50% will have neat hand writing and 50% will have poor hand writing. I simply can't see it realistically, only theoretically. I understand fully what you're saying and I respect your reasoning.
    But if the letter is written averagely then 50% will be worse and 50% will be better, that is literally the definition of average.

ReputationRep:
    But if the letter is written averagely then 50% will be worse and 50% will be better, that is literally the definition of average.
    If you had a letter that was "perfectly average" I mean absolutely perfect, with zero error in the average, then yes 50% would do better and 50% would do worse.

But even averages have errors it's called standard deviation. But I just can't see 50% being "good" and 50% being bad, like a perfect equilibrium.

I see good handwriting like left handedness, 1 in a dozen. I think that's the only way I can really explain what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    No bother chief! I'm always happy to share my wisdom around ^_^

Love,

Luke.
    Love.:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    hmm maybe I always have messy handwriting, but also have ocd which means i can't write messy... that probably doesn't make sense but hey

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.