Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't metal popular? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If i think about it, I don't actually mind metal, but one major negative is that I don't like to engage with thedepressed, angry emotions that it provocates because I am clinically depressed and it brings out the worst in my character. I prefer to listen to music that encourages, excites and motivates me. I find this in techno and house.

I also like listening to Jazz and blues as I sing in my space time. I dont find that the vocals in metal would make full use of my voice.

ReputationRep:
    I like nu-metal, things like Slipknot. I feel as though I can follow it, however the other faster, banging head against wall metal I just can't follow or take any joy from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CipherOfHate)
    What sort of stuff do you listen to now then?

My music tastes have changed a lot recently too. I used to be completely one-dimensional, listening only to bands like Metallica for years, but now I've started listening to a lot of jazz and blues-influenced rock like ZZ Top and Black Stone Cherry. Primarily, though, metal is still my favourite genre cause I think there's a distinct profundity you can't really find anywhere else. I'm a music student so I tend to over-analyse music anyway, but I never lose interest in songs because I can take them apart in my mind and focus on different sections/instruments every time I listen to them. I think a lot of people don't have the patience to do that, which is why metal isn't as popular commercially as simpler genres like pop and hip-hop.
    My music taste is kind of all over the place at the moment, my moving away from metal (and rock to a lesser extent) has left a huge void that's been hard to fill. In general though I'd say it's moved more towards electronic styles and the occasional indie or hip-hop album. If I want something punchy and catchy I'm spoiled for choice, and if I want something a bit atmospheric there's plenty of good ambient and downtempo stuff out there, so I'm just about satisfied. Sometimes I do go back to my old metal stuff, when I'm in the right mood for it bands like Opeth are still as mindblowing as ever, but those moods are rare enough that I haven't bought a new metal CD in a long time now.

I know absolutely nothing about music theory, so I imagine a music student would find more to feast on in the genres you mentioned than I would. I've noticed a lot of my music student friends have a soft spot for anything blues-influenced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    Because hiphop is better even justin bieber is better than any dustbing lid banging group of idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerch)
    My idea of good atmospheric metal.

You my friend, are amazing for having these bands on here!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.