Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just to chip in here. My parents have a Doberman and have had for years. Had him since he was a puppy. I found a mixture of reward/punishment did the trick. Punishment is obviously things like no treat, load NO or a gentle tap, nothing that causes pain.

I also do believe despite what someone is saying on here, dogs do have a pack mentality still and look for an alpha leader. Does that mean the dog is at the bottom and is mistreated? Far from it, if anything he is SECURE of his position in the pack and content. If these rules were not established early, he would show anxious behaviour due to believing he has to lead us lol.

When my dog comes near me, he falls on his back and exposes his belly and tucks his paws in. That is a submissive move and often police dog handlers forcefully do this whilst training their dog as it's what submissive wolves do in the wild.

A balanced approach is best but I think understanding your dogs personality is the ideal approach as all these templates are different.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum used to just make a really ear-piercing scream that lasted maybe half a second... Well, the dog along with everyone else would just stop what they were doing and stare wide eye at her. Then she would simply walk the dog outside and praise him when he did his business outside.

Every dog we have had (5 so far - including 3 at the same time) this method has worked with, and it doesn't take long to teach!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surf)
    My Mum used to just make a really ear-piercing scream that lasted maybe half a second... Well, the dog along with everyone else would just stop what they were doing and stare wide eye at her. Then she would simply walk the dog outside and praise him when he did his business outside.

Every dog we have had (5 so far - including 3 at the same time) this method has worked with, and it doesn't take long to teach!
    That's a common technique. It's the sound a dog (or anything really) in pain makes, so it's especially useful for when a dog is being too boisterous.

I know because that sexy dominatrix woman with that dog show said it once when I was channel surfing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    That's a common technique. It's the sound a dog (or anything really) in pain makes, so it's especially useful for when a dog is being too boisterous.

I know because that sexy dominatrix woman with that dog show said it once when I was channel surfing.
    Well, believe me - she has used it on us sometimes! It works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Erm. I am dominant over the dog.
    As a result I don't let my dog pull me around. I don't let me dog eat from my plate. I don't let me dog take my drink. Otherwise the dog would be dominant. Sometimes it's between his wants and my wants. I'm the one who makes the decision over what happens. If he wants to play and I'm not in the mood we don't play. If he does and I am we do play.

Do I get a power trip over it? Well of course, because I need that in life. I mean I get bullied in the whole of my life. This is me getting my own back. I also make my dog write lines.

:awesome: .
    The dominance theory is a load of bull.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.