Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From a purely common-sensical point of view, you would think a slightly curved bar path could be stronger even if the muscles are weaker in that position. Where you lockout is more or less decided by stability, right? I.e. if you move the bar too far from its equilibrium point you're not gonna be able to hold it there so you don't really have much choice in that. And if you're using a powerlifting arch, if you bring the bar straight down from that point you might just bring it too high on your chest and needlessly extend the ROM.

ReputationRep:
    And while people are thinking about benching I may as well post my own video... feet aren't in an ideal position but it's the only thing I can make work with the benches here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    And while people are thinking about benching I may as well post my own video... feet aren't in an ideal position but it's the only thing I can make work with the benches here.
    That's not (always?) touching your chest is it? It looks like your first set is a bit off, your second set touches/almost does and your last one is a mile high. Not touching your chest is the equivalent of 1/4 squats- ie it's not a squat. If you fix anything fix that

Feet not flat on the floor isn't comp legal if that matters to you. What's the problem with the bench?

You unrack quite far which is a waste of strength. Where you start is fine but then because you pull yourself forward to arch you end up quite far forward. If the problem with the bench is that your feet are at the feet of the bench then by moving your whole body back more you should also clear the bench to get your feet on the floor.

The only other thing I can guess is wrong with the bench is it's a bit tall but you have your feet on the floor in front of it on the middle set so your legs should be long enough to go wider if need be.

What programme are you doing that has you failing reps then lowering the weight? Failing takes more out of you and for some is psychologically bad.

Are you squeezing your shoulders together? It looks like you might be relaxing them as you set your arch.

Can't tell if there's any leg drive.

I think you have an inconsistent bar path which is bad in terms of drilling technique. When you fail/get closer to max effort you drive the bar back more. I don't think that's what's causing you to fail, I think it's a natural reaction to keep the bar moving and you should be following that bar path on all your reps.

If you aren't touching your chest then that won't be helping, you want a consistent top and bottom point and you'll likely always move the bar between them the same way if you focus on where you lower/press to (rather than thinking about the actual bar path). The place you end your 5th rep is where you want to start every rep (to start with anyway, drill that for a bit then you can always play about with it)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much!

(Original post by BKS)
    That's not (always?) touching your chest is it? It looks like your first set is a bit off, your second set touches/almost does and your last one is a mile high. Not touching your chest is the equivalent of 1/4 squats- ie it's not a squat. If you fix anything fix that
    I promise you every single rep touches my chest on every single set and has done since day one! I thought the sets from the side looked high when I filmed them (only ever looked from the front before) but the bar definitely touches. If you look carefully you can see where it "bounces" slightly off my chest (which is probably something else that needs fixing!)

Feet not flat on the floor isn't comp legal if that matters to you. What's the problem with the bench?

You unrack quite far which is a waste of strength. Where you start is fine but then because you pull yourself forward to arch you end up quite far forward. If the problem with the bench is that your feet are at the feet of the bench then by moving your whole body back more you should also clear the bench to get your feet on the floor.
    The bench is adjustable and quite short. Taking the position that I do means that I have to rest my feet on the legs. Trouble is, if I move forward then my arse is off the bench and if I move back then either I end up in the gap where the bench folds - which feels very unstable - or I end up too far back. You make a good point about me being too far forward though, so perhaps sitting behind the gap wouldn't be too far back once I pull myself forward - I'll have to play around a bit and see if I can work something out.

Being comp legal matters to be a bit because I'll probably do some just-for-fun uni comps next year... but I'm only here (at uni) for six months each year and this is the only bench I've ever had a problem with - at all other gyms I can get my feet on the floor perfectly fine. When I'm at home my feet are legal and I actually feel stronger there than here, so I don't think I'm actually "cheating" myself - just making it harder to ger my technique right because I have to change it.

The only other thing I can guess is wrong with the bench is it's a bit tall but you have your feet on the floor in front of it on the middle set so your legs should be long enough to go wider if need be.
    I've tried going wider before and iirc the legs stick out a lot and it's tricky. Again, I'll have a play when I'm next in the gym!

What programme are you doing that has you failing reps then lowering the weight? Failing takes more out of you and for some is psychologically bad.
    I'm running a 5/3/1 variation which has 5/3/1 bench followed by 5x5 at 75% 1RM. I used to take every 5+/3+/1+ set to failure before realising that was stupid, and since just aiming for rep records rather than failure I haven't failed a set This was the first time in a month or two I think. The 75x2 was my 1+ set, the 60x5 was one of my sets of 5 from after that and the 70x3 was a 3+ day from last week where I didn't try to hit a record (so not the same workout!)

Are you squeezing your shoulders together? It looks like you might be relaxing them as you set your arch.
    What do you mean by together? I try to bring my shoulders back and into the bench, is that the same thing? I'm not sure if I successfully do it all the time though, and when I do sometimes I let my shoulders go forward at the top of a rep.

Can't tell if there's any leg drive.
    I think it's inconsistent. I don't think I do anything until I'm already struggling, when I just try to drive my heels into the floor. I guess I should be doing that all the time, I just find it quite hard to do unless it's necessary. Not sure why :dontknow:

I think you have an inconsistent bar path which is bad in terms of drilling technique. When you fail/get closer to max effort you drive the bar back more. I don't think that's what's causing you to fail, I think it's a natural reaction to keep the bar moving and you should be following that bar path on all your reps.

If you aren't touching your chest then that won't be helping, you want a consistent top and bottom point and you'll likely always move the bar between them the same way if you focus on where you lower/press to (rather than thinking about the actual bar path). The place you end your 5th rep is where you want to start every rep (to start with anyway, drill that for a bit then you can always play about with it)
    Okay so, find starting point and always start/finish there, got it. And I should be touching my nipple line at the bottom, right?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm running a 5/3/1 variation which has 5/3/1 bench followed by 5x5 at 75% 1RM. I used to take every 5+/3+/1+ set to failure before realising that was stupid, and since just aiming for rep records rather than failure I haven't failed a set This was the first time in a month or two I think. The 75x2 was my 1+ set, the 60x5 was one of my sets of 5 from after that and the 70x3 was a 3+ day from last week where I didn't try to hit a record (so not the same workout!)
    Yeah, you're right failing is stupid. Not sure if you mean it but to be clear it's 5, 3, 1+ or on other days 5, 5, 5+ etc. Not rep records on every set.

If that variation didn't come from one of the 531 books then I recommend reading Beyond 531. Wendler knows much more than you.

What do you mean by together? I try to bring my shoulders back and into the bench, is that the same thing? I'm not sure if I successfully do it all the time though, and when I do sometimes I let my shoulders go forward at the top of a rep.
    Don't know what you mean exactly by back.

You want your shoulder blades fully retracted. You also want to be driving your back into the bench which is part of your general tension/arching.

Unracking badly (having too much distance to cover) could be effecting your back tightness too.

I think it's inconsistent. I don't think I do anything until I'm already struggling, when I just try to drive my heels into the floor. I guess I should be doing that all the time, I just find it quite hard to do unless it's necessary. Not sure why :dontknow:
    Bad habit. Bench every rep with the same technique as you would your 1RM.

Okay so, find starting point and always start/finish there, got it. And I should be touching my nipple line at the bottom, right?
    It's a personal preference thing but nipple is the very highest it should be, below is generally better because from most people's start position to nipples is a very straight bar path

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Yeah, you're right failing is stupid. Not sure if you mean it but to be clear it's 5, 3, 1+ or on other days 5, 5, 5+ etc. Not rep records on every set.

If that variation didn't come from one of the 531 books then I recommend reading Beyond 531. Wendler knows much more than you.
    Yeah - 5/5/5+ one week, 3/3/3+ the next and 5/3/1+ the final week before deload. Only the final set of each workout (marked +) is a rep record attempt, and then only when I've planned it e.g. next cycle I'm attempting deadlift rep records on the 3+ and 1+ days but just hitting the plain 5 reps on 5s day.

I don't have Beyond 5/3/1 myself, but I was led to believe that [email protected] 75% following the main lift was part of a suggested template. It was suggested to me on SS.com (I think) when I mentioned stalling on my bench and press.

Don't know what you mean exactly by back.

You want your shoulder blades fully retracted. You also want to be driving your back into the bench which is part of your general tension/arching.

Unracking badly (having too much distance to cover) could be effecting your back tightness too.
    Yeah that's what I meant, retracting my scapula. I'll think about driving the back in too then, iirc Dave Tate says to have weight "resting" on the traps?

Bad habit. Bench every rep with the same technique as you would your 1RM.
    Yessir!

It's a personal preference thing but nipple is the very highest it should be, below is generally better because from most people's start position to nipples is a very straight bar path
    Thanks. Again, I'll play around and see what works!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - 5/5/5+ one week, 3/3/3+ the next and 5/3/1+ the final week before deload. Only the final set of each workout (marked +) is a rep record attempt, and then only when I've planned it e.g. next cycle I'm attempting deadlift rep records on the 3+ and 1+ days but just hitting the plain 5 reps on 5s day.

I don't have Beyond 5/3/1 myself, but I was led to believe that [email protected] 75% following the main lift was part of a suggested template. It was suggested to me on SS.com (I think) when I mentioned stalling on my bench and press.
    I don't think it is. Still do it if you want obviously but I'm fairly sure it's not in 531, 531 for powerlifters or Beyond 531.

When you stall you reset. You take 90% of actual (if recently tested) or current working 1RM and use that as new working max. I think if I did anything wrong on 531 it was not resetting enough, I'm sure Wendler says endless not to be afraid of going lighter because you won't get weaker.

Yeah that's what I meant, retracting my scapula. I'll think about driving the back in too then, iirc Dave Tate says to have weight "resting" on the traps?
    He does. Perhaps the weight doesn't literally rest on your traps, I have no idea if that's true but it should feel like it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I don't think it is. Still do it if you want obviously but I'm fairly sure it's not in 531, 531 for powerlifters or Beyond 531.

When you stall you reset. You take 90% of actual (if recently tested) or current working 1RM and use that as new working max. I think if I did anything wrong on 531 it was not resetting enough, I'm sure Wendler says endless not to be afraid of going lighter because you won't get weaker.

He does. Perhaps the weight doesn't literally rest on your traps, I have no idea if that's true but it should feel like it is
    I've looked it up, it's definitely in Beyond 5/3/1 but it's supposed to be at 80%. It's called "Boring But Big, 5x5 Variation".

Yeah that's right re stalling; I meant I stalled multiple times and didn't set any rep records despite some resets. My pressing 3 and 5-RMs actually dropped. I was dropping weight so it's not that surprising, but I did feel I should be able to make some kind of gains (and definitely not lose strength) at such a small deficit. Since I've added the 5x5 and taken more care with planning my workouts in advance I've hit rep records most sessions despite cutting weight harder.

If I can't make the minimum reps or am just finding sets unbearably heavy I will deload then, probably bench quite soon - the two rep records I'm going for this cycle are the minimum reps.

Anyway cheers, I'll be hopping back on something like Starting Strength and going for LP once I'm eating more again.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me some guidance for deadlifts, they're becoming a bit of a **** tbh I can feel my back bend lifting off the ground and I struggle with the downward part of the movement. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Can someone give me some guidance for deadlifts, they're becoming a bit of a **** tbh I can feel my back bend lifting off the ground and I struggle with the downward part of the movement. Cheers
    I'd say a lot of the work in deadlifts is done before the weights leave the ground. You need to be in a good position, take the slack out of the bar then pull up/back and you're fine.

Would definitely advise wearing long socks as you should be destroying your shins. If you're not destroying your shins you're not pulling back enough.

If you have video we could help even more.

ReputationRep:
    Noob here - I'm starting weight training and wanted to ask a quick question, is it better to do all sets of one exercise with rests straight away or do one set of each exercise, and then go back to the first exercise like a circuit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by marinajelly)
    Noob here - I'm starting weight training and wanted to ask a quick question, is it better to do all sets of one exercise with rests straight away or do one set of each exercise, and then go back to the first exercise like a circuit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The former

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Started posting on Pendlay forum as well. Feedback from there wrt jerk: front shin needs to be vertical and dip a lot less before driving upwards.

ReputationRep:

I'm trying to learn to sumo. I think on the middle set my hips went too low and that killed my leg drive? I feel like my grip is too wide but any closer and I'll be inside the knurling.

(I know it looks odd but it is oly height or within about 1cm of it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal to reason)

Started posting on Pendlay forum as well. Feedback from there wrt jerk: front shin needs to be vertical and dip a lot less before driving upwards.
    hey man, was pretty decent.

here is what i saw.

you seem to be forward loaded a slight touch and when you are doing your split you come up and then forward with your lead foot, which will make you loose some power and speed under the bar, the foot should go in a forward motion fast and powerful rather than going up then forward.

I couldn't see if your toes where pointed and knees were out from that angle but if they wasn't they should be. Also i noticed that you diped rather deep, you only need to activate your legs and then drive under the bar.

Your back foot position looked pretty decent and your mobility and start position are good too.

i did also notice your head comes through pretty late.

anyway hope that is a few things to think about, but was a pretty decent jerk dude.

ReputationRep:

First time ever attempting barbell squat. Know form is terrible. Main thing as far as I can tell is knees too far forwards and bar path is not straight - going too far forward.

Realise I've just stopped thinking about form and doing what feels natural. Need to make sure bad habits don't creep in. Looks okish but could be better. Any comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    First time ever attempting barbell squat. Know form is terrible. Main thing as far as I can tell is knees too far forwards and bar path is not straight - going too far forward.
    Mostly I think you just look awkward and unsure and I'd bet that causes your bar path problem. Squat lots and lots until it feels more naturally and worry more about technique in a few week because you're not doing anything awful now.

I wouldn't worry too much about your knees. Your doing a more oly style squat rather than sitting back more like a power lifter. Sitting back stretches out a suit more to get more bounce out of it so as a raw lifter sitting back isn't that big a deal. Some raw power lifters prefer a more upright squat- look at Chad Smith. Right now just pick a style and stick with it then once you have more of a feel for squatting try different things to see what you like best because there's no one correct way to squat.

ReputationRep:
    Been getting knee/low back pain lately so wanted to check my squat form. I appreciate it's not the best angle but it's the best I could muster up.

Squat form check: http://youtu.be/LLfdz7RFwLY

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirb)
    Been getting knee/low back pain lately so wanted to check my squat form. I appreciate it's not the best angle but it's the best I could muster up.

Squat form check: http://youtu.be/LLfdz7RFwLY

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    back looks fine to me. do you deadlift too?

you definitely need to go a little deeper, that looks 2 inches from parallel to me so perhaps the shear stress placed on your knees when you're braking like that could be the cause of pain.

i'm no expert though so a second opinion would be good.

form looks good otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    back looks fine to me. do you deadlift too?

you definitely need to go a little deeper, that looks 2 inches from parallel to me so perhaps the shear stress placed on your knees when you're braking like that could be the cause of pain.

i'm no expert though so a second opinion would be good.

form looks good otherwise
    I thought I was going parallel at least, so it could be the angle.. I'm not sure.
    I'll try and get a better angle next time to double check. Will try to go a bit deeper anyway to see if I can take some of the strain off my knees.

I do deadlift too, but I didn't do any on Friday and didn't lift on the weekend so I don't think that's the cause of the back pain haha

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.