Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If You Were Offered A Space On A One-Way Trip To The Gliese 581 Star System.... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would You Accept The Offer?
    Yes.
    25.53%
    No.
    74.47%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    ****, *rings NASA* 'Humansupremacist made Pinda crack, the truth has been revealed about other life forms'
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Whilst I fully agree with this, you pass over Alpha Centauri B which is only slightly less luminous and smaller than our own Sun. But yes, the next options after the Alpha Centauri system would be those above closer ones like Epsilon and Tau.

But of course, probes will be sent well ahead to view any of these - I see these being sent off in the coming decades; but whether we'll receive data from them quickly will depend on how quickly humanity progresses - we just need those big breakthroughs or paradigm shifts which could potential allow FTL communication over large distances in space...
    I'm purely going by habitable planets which would be less likely given the radiation of a binary system (if there is one there then hopefully the aliens will advance quickly enough to contact us soon).

Yes, our best prospect for that is probably when fusion is developed (current timescale is 2040's) however we are sending messages to planets now in the hope of an eventual response. Personally i'm very hopeful that we will have a probe in at least the Alpha Centauri star system in my lifetime and it's good to see that anti-matter research is already being done and that the private sector appears to be starting a new space race. Communication is a good point.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    If there is no way to contact earth how can we tell them what we have found and that we have made a planet habitable for them to come out to?

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd really really really really really love to see space, I would never be able to stand the rest of my life with only 5 other people. I just can't. Even if they were really funny and fascinating, I don't have the right temperament to deal with being in an enclosed space with 5 people forever, they'd get on my nerves after a while and I'm quite bouncy and loud so I'd irritate them a lot. Plus, if I didn't fancy them I really wouldn't want to have sex with them. And it would be hard to get time to yourself, and you wouldn't have access to new books or films or music, after a while you'd get so bored. Or talk to your family. I moved away from home for uni but I wouldn't feel happy totally cutting myself off from them. Plus I wouldn't be able to have any pets. I wouldn't be able to go to the theatre anymore, or the cinema, or go for walks. I would never get to see a real daffodil again. Basically I would love to do it if I had the choice of coming back. But what if one of us got ill and died? It would be horrific. Or if it turned out like the Knife of Never Letting Go?

Mind you, if this happened, it would be in a really advanced society with better technology and presumably better medicines so I would be like a super-useful pharmacist. I like it. :lol:

Also, when it comes to colonising the planet, there is going to be such an issue with inbreeding and whatnot, unless you're travelling with a huge sperm bank to keep up genetic diversity and the women basically become baby machines. I don't want to be a baby machine. Or what if we colonised the planet successfully but of course then you're going to need an effective government. Again, Knife of Never Letting Go, what if you have a psycho Mayor who...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Has all the women in the society killed because men can hear each others thoughts now but they can't hear the women and the women can't hear them and it totally freaks them out

Or it goes down the route of any of the other hundreds of dystopian fantasies out there (it's my favourite genre of book). Or what if one of the other members of the crew goes totally mad and starts getting violent with everyone? Can't exactly have a space mutiny. What do you do then? There's too many restrictions and limitations in a project like this, and one of the things I value above all is having flexibility. Basically I just don't have the right personality to handle that kind of trip.

ReputationRep:
    Where's your sense of adventure guys?

I'm not even bothered about getting to a planet or surviving. Although I'd rather do it when I was about 60 instead of now. After the things you'd see and experience while travelling I would die happy.

It's so boring to die on the same tiny little rock that you were born on

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

And I'd write a book in those 22 years and be forever remembered in that new life system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)

I'm not even bothered about getting to a planet or surviving. Although I'd rather do it when I was about 60 instead of now. After the things you'd see and experience while travelling I would die happy.

True, but at 18 I've barely even seen half of the things I want to. Plus my sense of adventure is hindered by the awareness that I would probably turn into a female Patrick Bateman if I was stuck in a little spacecraft and then on a small colony with very little company forever.

ReputationRep:
    "prometheus has landed"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    As much as I'd really really really really really love to see space, I would never be able to stand the rest of my life with only 5 other people. I just can't. Even if they were really funny and fascinating, I don't have the right temperament to deal with being in an enclosed space with 5 people forever, they'd get on my nerves after a while and I'm quite bouncy and loud so I'd irritate them a lot. Plus, if I didn't fancy them I really wouldn't want to have sex with them. And it would be hard to get time to yourself, and you wouldn't have access to new books or films or music, after a while you'd get so bored. Or talk to your family. I moved away from home for uni but I wouldn't feel happy totally cutting myself off from them. Plus I wouldn't be able to have any pets. I wouldn't be able to go to the theatre anymore, or the cinema, or go for walks. I would never get to see a real daffodil again. Basically I would love to do it if I had the choice of coming back. But what if one of us got ill and died? It would be horrific. Or if it turned out like the Knife of Never Letting Go?

Mind you, if this happened, it would be in a really advanced society with better technology and presumably better medicines so I would be like a super-useful pharmacist. I like it. :lol:

Also, when it comes to colonising the planet, there is going to be such an issue with inbreeding and whatnot, unless you're travelling with a huge sperm bank to keep up genetic diversity and the women basically become baby machines. I don't want to be a baby machine. Or what if we colonised the planet successfully but of course then you're going to need an effective government. Again, Knife of Never Letting Go, what if you have a psycho Mayor who...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Has all the women in the society killed because men can hear each others thoughts now but they can't hear the women and the women can't hear them and it totally freaks them out

Or it goes down the route of any of the other hundreds of dystopian fantasies out there (it's my favourite genre of book). Or what if one of the other members of the crew goes totally mad and starts getting violent with everyone? Can't exactly have a space mutiny. What do you do then? There's too many restrictions and limitations in a project like this, and one of the things I value above all is having flexibility. Basically I just don't have the right personality to handle that kind of trip.
    Well, I....

It is in the works - the details are sketchy.

Of course, in the real world, we'd send probes out first to survey the area and see if the environment is viable. What's more is that we'd probably also travel to closer star systems (closest range from 4 light-years to 11 light years away). Additionally, by then, we'd probably have better and longer-distance communication.

But thanks for your contribution (if a little rambling on "what ifs" :lol:)

(Original post by therisenmitten)

Yes, indeed. The experience alone of actually being out in space would be magnificent and no human would have experienced such great views whilst travelling in interstellar space.

ReputationRep:
    What if somebody killed everybody?
    Edit: ok then everybody dies, but seriously - everybody will be scared "I am next" if they can't kill that guy first,

What about burying the bodies? Will their be graveyards?

Yes, I am concerned about Death down there...
    And here on Earth for that matter...

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Well, I....

It is in the works - the details are sketchy.

Of course, in the real world, we'd send probes out first to survey the area and see if the environment is viable. What's more is that we'd probably also travel to closer star systems (closest range from 4 light-years to 11 light years away). Additionally, by then, we'd probably have better and longer-distance communication.

But thanks for your contribution (if a little rambling on "what ifs" :lol:)

Yes, indeed. The experience alone of actually being out in space would be magnificent and no human would have experienced such great views whilst travelling in interstellar space.
    I realised that while I was writing it. :lol: There are a lot of "what ifs". It's what I do. Even the ridiculously unlikely ones because I start drawing up comparisons to half of the novel plots I know.

ReputationRep:
    I would not accept. Can't get rid of me that easy :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    What if somebody
    killed everybody?
    Edit: ok then everybody dies, but seriously -
    everybody will be scared "I am next" if they can't
    kill that guy first, What about burying the bodies? Will their be graveyards? Yes, I am concerned about Death down there... And here on Earth for that matter...
    USING THE TSR APP
    You've seen too many films.

The Coffins of dead people would be shot into a star, that's how a space-time funeral would be carried out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hungergeist)
    Right so the gliese system is 22 light years away and the ship only has provisions for 15 years... so even if the ship can travel at the speed of light, I'll run out of food and water 7 years before we arrive. I think I'll pass.
    This, plus I'd rather go to a system with a habitable planet.

So my involvement would be contingent on foreknowledge of a habitable planet (preferably more Earth-like than less but hey-ho) and I would want the expedition to consist of between 30-50 individuals minimum and anywhere above that fine.

A colonization project really is up to nothing but failure with 6+the billionaire. Procreation would be pointless, the lack of a diverse gene-pool would be a heavy detriment, and on top of that people would have to **** each other like rabbits, the women would have to constantly spew out babies just to hope their futile efforts kick start population growth to a viable population.

Contraception planet side would have to be illegal, as well as monogamous pair bonding, dunno how I'd feel about that, human nature and what-not.

Early European colonization was notable for it's failure rate, too few people tried to settle places they didn't know or understand, and if the natives didn't kill them new diseases and non-European friendly climates did.

These attempts were also years between communication with other ships, mere years and the lack of logistics and contact with home cost them, violence would break out, any reason you can think for a small isolated settlement to perish happened.

So if I was going on one of the first inter-stellar colonization attempts I'd want as Earth like a home as possible, the technology as advanced and reliable as possible, and as many colonists as possible to help off-set the inevitable fatalities.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.