Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Roehampton PGCE 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by aliciads
Hello does anyone know about the government bursary? Do we have to apply for it or do we get it automatically?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

I have no idea! I am still wondering how that works as well.
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 61
Hi Everyone!

Just wondering is anyone else having issues with logging into moodle? I can't log on anymore :/

Sam x
Reply 62
For the English books I bought: Reading Under Control, Writing Under Control, The Literate Classroom and Exploring Children's Literature

Bursaries - I was told that they sort it out for us when we get on the course, think we might fill a form in but they organise it all to be done.

I can access Moodle yes, are you sure you are using the correct username and password? (Remember username isn't your email address - just in case!)
Reply 63
Hey guys/girls,

I'm pleased that I'll be joining you. I had my interview on the 5th of June. Anyone here who attended that?

Despite everything, I'm rather annoyed at having to pay £55 for the DBS check-up. Seems quite expensive.
Reply 64
I've created a Facebook group for PGCE Primary students.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529395220442899/
Hey all,

I'm not sure about you guys but I feel like I should be doing more to prepare... I'm doing NOTHING ATM. Please tell me if I'm missing a trick?

Also I have been looking at the reading list and some of the books are quite expensive. I was just wondering what books everyone else bought?

I hope you're all having awesome summers
Reply 66
Original post by Uxbridge2013
Hey all,

I'm not sure about you guys but I feel like I should be doing more to prepare... I'm doing NOTHING ATM. Please tell me if I'm missing a trick?

Also I have been looking at the reading list and some of the books are quite expensive. I was just wondering what books everyone else bought?

Have you found an alternative and observation place? In terms of the books, I bought the subjects that I felt I needed most insight into how to teach a young age group. They are expensive but eventually your bursary will reimburse that cost.
Reply 67
Hey all,

I agree that you should certainly be finding the placements, particularly the September one as I personally found that very difficult to obtain. Also, schools shut soon so try to call round a number of them, I have a list of schools and numbers I used if you would like them?

As far as books, I have just finished reading and making notes on the two 'Under Control' English books. I intend to move on to Maths and then brush up on my science as it's pretty rusty!

I bought 11 books that came to about £200, although you can probably find them cheaper! I only bought for the core subjects and made sure to get a balance of both subject knowledge and teaching theory. The list I bought is:

ENGLISH
Reading Under Control
Writing Under Control
The Literate Classroom (not essential)
Exploring Children's Literature

MATHS
Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers
Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers Workbook
Understanding and Teaching Primary Mathematics

SCIENCE
Primary Science Knowledge and Understanding (Achieving QTS)
The Teaching of Science in Primary Schools

This should provide a good balance for the core subjects which take up like 70-80% of lesson time in schools from my experience.

I also bought the general book 'Learning to Teach in the Primary School' and might get a history text if I have time/money but that's just me addressing areas of weakness for myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Meus
I've created a Facebook group for PGCE Primary students.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529395220442899/

Hi Meus, unfortunately that link leads to a dead page for me and I can't find it when I search it on facebook!
Reply 69
Original post by Mikey
Hi Meus, unfortunately that link leads to a dead page for me and I can't find it when I search it on facebook!

Try clicking it again.

I myself am having problems finding an observatory placement. Having only had my place confirmed yesterday at the Uni, I began to look through the information pack they had sent me mentioning that I had to find a placement.

Trouble is, most schools are finishing today or Wednesday the 24th by the latest, so getting into contact with a Head is proving to be difficult. I've sent out dozens of emails this morning alone.

I hope my search for the alternative placement goes better. Question on that though: the booklet suggests summer schools (but none that I have found are open during April, which we need) or a museum. I don't understand. I was under the impression that the placement must involve working with children. How would going to a museum see us work with kids? Is there something I'm missing about the requirements here? Or can it be a placement that would ultimately help us with our chosen age group?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70

Screenshot of emails I've sent out recently to schools. This is one page of three. Only six have responded, all negatives.
Reply 71
Original post by Meus

Screenshot of emails I've sent out recently to schools. This is one page of three. Only six have responded, all negatives.

Have you tried Holy Trinity Primary School near Roehampton uni? I got an email from them today offering me a place but I have already secured one elsewhere.

I was a bit confused about alternative placement as well but I just got one at a charity that offers a number of programmes, one of them called Y-Kids (which caters for children in the summer holidays) and another few which give me time with disabled children. I was told by course tutors at Roehampton that it needs to be around children and needs to provide a setting where you can observe how children learn.

EDIT: Try to ring up instead of just sending emails. I sent a ton of emails too last month and got no replies. Followed it up 2 weeks later with phone calls and was given a specific email address on many occassions for people that deal with placements (usually deputy head). Sending to the school admin tends to just get ignored.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Hi guys!

I am still struggling with getting placement for september! I rang some schools yesterday and one said they would ring back, they never did. SO looks like I am ringing them on Monday. It has been a complete nightmare trying to get placement.

As for books wise, I wasn't sure what to get just yet so I only got four. I will read through those first before I consider buying anymore.

My entire summer is full of work experience so I am really busy! trying to get stuff done for september! starting to get pretty scared and excited!

is anyone else struggling?
After reading this maybe I actually am prepared for September.

I have sorted the placement for September in a Primary School and I have also sorted out the alternative placement.

I think the reason I feel this way is because I am doing nothing ATM to prepare academically.

I had a result yesterday... I was given smart board training and was given the programme that the smart board operates on disc... Saves me buying it :smile:
Hey,

How is the preparation going? Student Finance is proving to be a nightmare. I actually applied back in March and it still isn't complete!

How exciting, not long until we all start. I bet you're all excited - my offer is subject to my Science GCSE. I actually sat the exam in June, I think it went well but it is now majorly playing on my mind! To do an equivalency test or not?

How is everyone preparing?

>no way mine either I keep having to send more forms back to them as they say they can't access it with these different forms. I makes me wish I just tried hard to find passport rather than sending other confirmation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all! I'm coming to Roehampton in September to do an MFL Secondary PGCE :smile:

I'm just wondering what you're all doing for accommodation? I need to move to the area- any advice?

Steph
Hey,

I'm having no luck with this observational placement! I have probably emailed and rung at least 50 schools! Is anybody else having the same trouble? What happens if I cant get a placement anywhere?

Also, I have got a place in PGCE halls room 109 (Its secondary accommodation) as there were no more rooms left on the primary contract!

x
Reply 77
Original post by sashaheathcock
Hey,

I'm having no luck with this observational placement! I have probably emailed and rung at least 50 schools! Is anybody else having the same trouble? What happens if I cant get a placement anywhere?

Also, I have got a place in PGCE halls room 109 (Its secondary accommodation) as there were no more rooms left on the primary contract!

x

Hi :-) I got another email this morning from a school that got back to me offering me a place but I have already sorted mine. If you want PM me and I'll send you the details.
Reply 78
Has anyone made an application for Student Finance? How long did it take to get yours approved and get a payment schedule?
Reply 79
Original post by Meus
Has anyone made an application for Student Finance? How long did it take to get yours approved and get a payment schedule?

I made mine back in April and it took about a month when I remove the problems I had (didn't realise I hadn't changed my home address for a while so parents' evidence requests got sent to wrong place)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending