Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petite fille)
    £100- £125 a week, which I'll need as I'll be studying in London
    You really don't need that much in London, you can get by on half that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1337)
    Yeah. The reality is that brands are no better. Pasta is dirt cheap. You can pick up 500g for less than £1, that'll do for 4/5 meals. A jar of sauce can cost less than 50p. Get a loaf of bread, a bit of garlic and some butter and you'll have some garlic bread to have with it too. You can also have cheese if you'll use it all before it goes out of date.
    As well if you hand cook you can make loads. I have a lot of allergies and so cook most of my meals from scratch, and I can usually get things really cheaply. I look for it though, and go to fresh fruit markets and stuff. I really don't get the whole "students are poor" thing - I've been fine :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    As well if you hand cook you can make loads. I have a lot of allergies and so cook most of my meals from scratch, and I can usually get things really cheaply. I look for it though, and go to fresh fruit markets and stuff. I really don't get the whole "students are poor" thing - I've been fine :dontknow:
    Yep. The key is to cook from scratch and shop around. It's really not difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1337)
    Yep. The key is to cook from scratch and shop around. It's really not difficult
    yeah! Tastes better too

ReputationRep:
    Il have about 7024 (estimate from a calculator) a year. My course is 44 weeks a year and when I move out I'm not coming home, so I've had to calculate mine by 52 weeks not 44.
    Rent and household bills will be around 80pw.
    Total around 135 - 80 = 55pw to live off not including a job.
    However I have a car to run (tax, MOT, service, petrol, things that go wrong like popping my bloody tyres), a phone bill (26pm) and a bank account fee (13pm) which includes gadget/phone insurace, travel insurance, breakdown cover and other things. So I have a part time job sorted for when I move there. I'm transferring to another McD's, yippee . Il get around 50pw from that = 2400 a year. Phone -360, bank account -156 = 1884 left a year, which will be for petrol and all the other car expenses.

I'm keepin my uni money in my student Halifax account which will be to live off, and my wage in my normal current account which I won't carry the card around for unless I need petrol. That way I can stick to my budget and my wage is non-uni things. Not for going out!
    Hopefully I should be ok! I'm already buying things now though. Like salt, tea bags, chilli sauce. So I have a few things for when I'm not skint I also saw in tesco today an absolutely huge potato like sack full of rice for 3 pound!!!

ReputationRep:
    After my accomodation costs, I will be living on minus 51 pounds a week, bloody unfair student finance

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of sympathy for people who's parents earn a decent crust, so they get no Maintanence Grant and a reduced loan, yet their parents will not help them out when they go to University. They have my sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    Probably like £30 a week, oh the perks of applying for newly built accommodation (n) ha.
    £30 a week .... as an international student , I came to the UK for two months and I spent £8000 ! Which means I was spending £133/day ?

How do you manage to do so ? the UK is pretty darn expensive !?!

ReputationRep:
    How much do u spend on "uni-things" like photocopies, textbooks...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1stPal)

£30 a week .... as an international student , I came to the UK for two months and I spent £8000 ! Which means I was spending £133/day ?

I don't know for sure that I will be living off that, but it won't be very much. I work in a supermarket so I know the sort of stuff to buy which will help my budget

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1stPal)

Wooowww!! What did u do to spend so much? Did you go out everynight or what? hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Just based on my maintenance loan/grant, about £30 pw for self-catered halls of residence

Doesn't look too good

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at about £20 a week for food because there's no point buying expensive brands or microwave meals. You can save A LOT of money buying things in bulk for A LOT less which means that cooking is cheaper than putting something in the microwave.

Really curious how people can spend over £100 a week! My family spends £40 on food as well as any household goods alone because that is all we can afford as a family of 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjabutterfly)
    I'm looking at about £20 a week for food because there's no point buying expensive brands or microwave meals. You can save A LOT of money buying things in bulk for A LOT less which means that cooking is cheaper than putting something in the microwave.

Really curious how people can spend over £100 a week! My family spends £40 on food as well as any household goods alone because that is all we can afford as a family of 3.
    I don't think that's what people spend on food Just how much they have left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainiis)
    Wooowww!! What did u do to spend so much? Did you go out everynight or what? hahaha
    Not really ... I counted transportation and hotel reservations .... I ate takeaways mostly and I went out every night ( But not for parties !)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I don't think that's what people spend on food Just how much they have left
    Silly me

ReputationRep:
    I live off about £45 per week. Southampton is a damned expensive city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    I don't know for sure that I will be living off that, but it won't be very much. I work in a supermarket so I know the sort of stuff to buy which will help my budget
    Aha ... I recall every time I went to Tesco , Sainsbury or wait rose , I spent more than 30 quids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I live off about £45 per week. Southampton is a damned expensive city.
    £45/week .... You are killing me !!!!

ReputationRep:
    About £100 p/w for food (in college, subsidised), maybe bus fare, going out, books etc. ...
    I doubt I'd need that much! I don't want to be spending £100 a week, seems way too much. I could go to nandos everyday.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.