Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Peter Lloyd: 'Why I'm suing my gym over their sexist women-only hours' watch

ReputationRep:
    If women can have 'women-only' hours, men should be able to too. I applaud him for doing this. It may sound like a petty thing to sue for, but the principle is what matters. These ideas need to be challenged. Unfair inequality affects men too, and is just as important to fight against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Reminds me of these:

Love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malabarista)
    The idea that if men don't like it they should go somewhere else is discriminatory as well. Men do have the right to kick up a fuss as it is discriminatory. If I didn't pay a woman the same as a man, she would likely sue me for discrimination, not look for another job, as you are suggesting.
    You seemed to have picked what you wanted out of my post. I've never said I don't think the gym's policy is unfair. However, I do not think it is remotely comparable to black Americans' segregation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chappers-94)
    This isn't the same, and there's already woman's only gyms. This is a mixed gender gym. Incomparable. Should there be a black/white only time for people too?

So, do the people at your gym exercise naked? :confused: No, so this isn't a decent comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You said you couldn't find a male only gym - I found one. I'm not even against this; I agree it is unfair to pay the same price for a shorter periods of access.

Men get naked in the toilets. :eek: Some women get naked in the gym showers though - it just depends on what type of person you are. No-one thinks - "there might be a lesbian in here, better cover up!" Whereas they would probably never shower in front of a man who they weren't in a relationship - gay or straight. It's just what we've been taught about bodies and gender in our society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    You seemed to have picked what you wanted out of my post. I've never said I don't think the gym's policy is unfair. However, I do not think it is remotely comparable to black Americans' segregation.
    No, I've come back on one point which was made in your post, where you explicitly said that men should have to look elsewhere; no they shouldn't. I have nothing more to say on the other points in that post. You may think they are not comparable, but I do, as I have explained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danehill897)
    The consumer protection in this case is that if not many people want to go to a gym with women only periods then the gym will probably go out of buisness - while its competitors which don't gender discrimminate will get extra buisness and become more successful.
    That's not consumer protection, not in the slightest. That's a naive belief that the market will always work out for the best. Gyms aren't exactly on every street corner like a supermarket and you normally have to sign up to lengthy contracts too, with often no easy way out. It's not exactly as easy to change around as your weekly groceries.

(Original post by Danehill897)
    To be honest I can't understand why some women wouldn't want to excercise in front of men (surely thinking your body's not good enough is just motivation to train harder?), but I still think they should have the right to whatever service many of them are willing to pay for and which the gym can provide.
    Any the guy himself provided remedies to accomadate this- Reduce the cost of male gym membership to reflect the fact that they can't use the gym the entire time, or offer men only sessions as well. The gym however has rejected both ideas. Remember we're supposed to be a civilised and fair society too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Don't know why some girls on here think that this guy is a ****?

It just makes logical sense to charge male's less, for using the gym, if they do decide to stick with this 'sexiest women hour' business.

Bloody hell.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Don't know why some girls on here think that this guy is a ****?

It just makes logical sense to charge male's less, for using the gym, if they do decide to stick with this 'sexiest women hour' business.

Bloody hell.

:facepalm2:
    sexiest women hour? typo or deliberate? (as a member of a gym that does seperate mens and women's hours, I can assure you most of it's female clients are far from sexy. But then again, who looks sexy when they're working out?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...men-hours.html
    it says in the article because women are self conscious, have body hang ups, hate the way they look when they exercise and would rather men did not see this.
    And this is exactly the reason I have avoided joining any gym so far. When I go out on runs I always try to go the route with the least number of people possible. Avoid as many people as possible. That's not easy in a city! When I'm back to my rural home it's better as I can just use the lanes and have relative privacy. It's not just women who can have self-confidence issues.

Women only hours is ridiculous if they do not allow men only hours too. The fact they have to pay the same for less privileges is a positively evil business practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    That's not consumer protection, not in the slightest. That's a naive belief that the market will always work out for the best. Gyms aren't exactly on every street corner like a supermarket and you normally have to sign up to lengthy contracts too, with often no easy way out. It's not exactly as easy to change around as your weekly groceries.

Any the guy himself provided remedies to accomadate this- Reduce the cost of male gym membership to reflect the fact that they can't use the gym the entire time, or offer men only sessions as well. The gym however has rejected both ideas. Remember we're supposed to be a civilised and fair society too.
    He lives in London, so there's almost certainly going to be a multitude of gyms within travelling distance, and anyway even if there wasn't he could still buy his own equipment/do body weight excercises at home. I don't know how the contracts at his gym work, but you'd assume if he originally signed the contract before the women's periods were introduced, then they'd allow him to leave the contract when they introduced the women's periods and therefore changed the services they were providing him.

I agree your second paragraph in that if I was the gym's manager that's what I would have done. However I don't think the law should require them to do that: if the manager wants to risk a mass exodus of their male customers and bad publicity - all to stop some female members from feeling self consious - then that's their decision, just as it's their responsibility if it results in the gym going bankrupt and to their credit if it (somehow) proves to be a comercial success.

ReputationRep:
    If they want women only hours then they need men only hours. There can be just as many insecure men as women. But if a gym did an man only hours time slot women would go berserk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    He's being a right little princess.

So they have female-only hours, big deal, go some other time, or go to some other gym.
    Would you say the same to a gym which offered "white only" gym hours? Would you tell any ethnic minority offended that there were being "right little princesses" and that they should just go some other time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    You said you couldn't find a male only gym - I found one. I'm not even against this; I agree it is unfair to pay the same price for a shorter periods of access.

Men get naked in the toilets. :eek: Some women get naked in the gym showers though - it just depends on what type of person you are. No-one thinks - "there might be a lesbian in here, better cover up!" Whereas they would probably never shower in front of a man who they weren't in a relationship - gay or straight. It's just what we've been taught about bodies and gender in our society.
    No, I know I am fine with men and women only gyms (I don't think gender segregation is good though) but this isn't a woman's only gym, as men can go there too. That's why this is unethical.

No, we don't :erm: I'm on about showers, I can understand (although I personally don't actually care) about gender segregation there and the toiliet, but what I don't understand is during exercising as you're not naked what I don't understand is why have one sided gender segregation at a public gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...men-hours.html

what do you think of the view expressed in this article and womens only hours in general?

i can see where the guy is coming from. why do women need their special hours where men are excluded but men can't have the same thing? it says in the article because women are self conscious, have body hang ups, hate the way they look when they exercise and would rather men did not see this. but if i dont like the way i look when exercising around women, i cant ask for men only hours because i would be laughed at for being pathetic and told to man up. it is completely ridiculous in this day and age.
    it is pathetic. it is a private company and they can serve who they like. some women are self conscious about working out infront of men, there is a practical business reason for it, it's not an "i hate men so they are banned from my gym" thing. if this guy wants a man only gym for the self conscious man, then he is completely free to open one himself. or he can just get over himself and his inflated ego and wait for the mixed sessions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Those women are not going to court about it, he is. They are not doing the same thing.
    Alright. They are AIMING for the same thing. He wants men only hours, they want women only hours (thus the demand)if you call him a princess for wanting something, and wanting to keep his integrety and not wanting to be discriminated based on gender, you can say the women who fight to not be discriminated babies or 'princesses' what do you want him to do? Let them walk all over him.

ReputationRep:
    I have no objection to women only sessions, only that men-only sessions have not been offered, at least for a trial period. If men only sessions are hardly used after a trial, then they can be dropped.

Women only sessions seem a good business idea as there will often be men who will take any opportunity to try to chat up a woman, which will put some off exercise. There is a great obesity problem in this country and so anything to reduce it is worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Would you say the same to a gym which offered "white only" gym hours? Would you tell any ethnic minority offended that there were being "right little princesses" and that they should just go some other time?
    The difference is that there is no reason to have "white's only" hours except for racist ones. The women's hours are not due to them having hatred for men, they are due to women feeling more comfortable without men being there. This is not much different to wanting a female doctor.

However, my view is that yes, private enterprise should even be allowed to discriminate based on race or anything else. They should be able to turn away whomever they want just like you can turn away from your home whomever you want, for any arbitrary reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    Are you unaware of all the history of women going to court about mens only clubs?
    history? History you say..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Except he raises a good point, the gym is discriminating, and it's not just some pointless media stunt that you're implying it is.
    Yes it's discriminating. So what? Discrimination is not necessarily a bad thing. Even if you think it is in this case, the gym not having the freedom to conduct it's business as it sees fit is worse (IMO).

No one is forcing him to pay this gym anything. It's not a public service, his sense of entitlement is of his own making.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I freakin loathe feminists, the man is an idiot tbh. I don't have a problem with this policy and can actually understand why women would be intimidated/uncomfortable in mixed gyms

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.