Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That's a good way of doing it. But you need to remember that you have to compare all sources - by just writing about one source, you could be limiting yourself. - But well done for the cross referencing!
    When I wrote the paper, I answered it by saying Yes or No and then finding a couple of points why he was/ was not. The point which i agreed with more (or had more evidence) has 2 points, whilst the other had 1.
    Going with your questions (I'm using the June 2012 past paper for this - so you can check and (dis)agree with how I'd write it.

Yes - Greatest PM - A ,B, D
    No - Decision making - A, B
    No - Opinions of his contemporaries - B, C, D, E (if this is too much, you can lose D or B - try and keep 3 in so you're cross referencing. )
    You also need to discuss the provenance too - do not put it at the end of the paragraph, or as a separate paragraph. Just try and weave it in. Try and use your own knowledge and write how people found him during and after the war too.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddities)
    That's a good way of doing it. But you need to remember that you have to compare all sources - by just writing about one source, you could be limiting yourself. - But well done for the cross referencing!
    When I wrote the paper, I answered it by saying Yes or No and then finding a couple of points why he was/ was not. The point which i agreed with more (or had more evidence) has 2 points, whilst the other had 1.
    Going with your questions (I'm using the June 2012 past paper for this - so you can check and (dis)agree with how I'd write it.

Yes - Greatest PM - A ,B, D
    No - Decision making - A, B
    No - Opinions of his contemporaries - B, C, D, E (if this is too much, you can lose D or B - try and keep 3 in so you're cross referencing. )
    You also need to discuss the provenance too - do not put it at the end of the paragraph, or as a separate paragraph. Just try and weave it in. Try and use your own knowledge and write how people found him during and after the war too.
    Hope this helps!
    Thank you!! That looks great 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjslions)
    Thank you!! That looks great ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's okay
    For everyone doing the Churchill exam and needs a time line.. I did a quick one on tsr - can't hyperlink it.. It's in the 'Organise your thinking' section. Click 'History'. It should be on page 36. It's titled 'Churchill'.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay
    For everyone doing the Churchill exam and needs a time line.. I did a quick one on tsr - can't hyperlink it.. It's in the 'Organise your thinking' section. Click 'History'. It should be on page 36. It's titled 'Churchill'.
    Thanks I'll check that out.
    You don't need that much knowledge/ content for the exam do you?? How much did you normally put in part b)?
    And sorry one more question how much did you generally write for both parts??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's okay
    Sorry where is the organise your thinking section?? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry where is the organise your thinking section?? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you hover over the 'A Level' section, and then click onto 'All-Alevel learning tools' you should be able to find it (if you go onto organise your thinking).
    You don't need that much of your own knowledge - I believe it's only worth 8 marks (that's what I was told last year..).
    For part B, the general knowledge that I included was usually events around the period which the exam was on, and how that might have (or did) affect feelings towards Churchill (or whatever was asked). Just chose information that's relevant to the period which you're asked on, not something he did 10 years before or after
    For the 30 mark - between 1.5-2 sides (One piece of A4). 70 marks = 3-4 Sides (2 pieces of A4) - if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    If you hover over the 'A Level' section, and then click onto 'All-Alevel learning tools' you should be able to find it (if you go onto organise your thinking).
    You don't need that much of your own knowledge - I believe it's only worth 8 marks (that's what I was told last year..).
    For part B, the general knowledge that I included was usually events around the period which the exam was on, and how that might have (or did) affect feelings towards Churchill (or whatever was asked). Just chose information that's relevant to the period which you're asked on, not something he did 10 years before or after
    For the 30 mark - between 1.5-2 sides (One piece of A4). 70 marks = 3-4 Sides (2 pieces of A4) - if that makes sense?
    Thank you so much!!! You have been really helpful :-))

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!! You have been really helpful :-))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's okay Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    it's okay Good Luck!
    Thank you, btw how did you do in this exam last year and how did you do in the essay paper (and what topic did you do) if you don't mind me asking haha? :-))

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if Churchill and Ireland could come up as a topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryNick)
    Does anybody know if Churchill and Ireland could come up as a topic?
    I don't know if it could come up as a whole part b if you know what I mean, but the part b could be on Churchill's conciliation with perhaps part a) specifically on Ireland?
    Although never say never haha!!
    My teacher seems to think it will be Churchill's relations with Stalin or Churchill's stance in 1940/41 or Wilderness Years - India or abdication )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sania95)
    I have a feeling topic 4 is to come up. I mean there has only ever been 1 out of 9 questions based on international relations. I. AM. FREAKING. OUT.
    I am doing this is topic 4 Stalin De Gaulle and plans for dealing with post war Europe?

ReputationRep:
    my teacher thinks that the exam could be on:
    - Churchill and WWI
    - Churchill and the General Strike
    - Churchill as Chancellor of the Exchequer
    - India
    - Abdication.

ReputationRep:
    India is really hard...I had a look at a previous paper...does any one have any ideas on what the issues might be in terms of argument

I was trying to look at examiner advice on how to complete
    The examiner advice is given in different ways: provenance, content, nature some times I think they contradict themselves a bit..for example they advise being prepared but then criticise for using something to according to a formula

Also the author Oddities post 66 in this thread advises going to Pg 36 Churchill organise your thinking for a time line but when I go into pg 36 it was something else but I did manage to find the resource but I was not allowed to read the whole thing it says you have to pay £.6.99

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymousp)

Also the author Oddities post 66 in this thread advises going to Pg 36 Churchill organise your thinking for a time line but when I go into pg 36 it was something else but I did manage to find the resource but I was not allowed to read the whole thing it says you have to pay £.6.99
    Oh... I don't know why that was..?

ReputationRep:
    Oh... I don't know why that was..?
    Hi guys, i still have chapter 5 to revise for churchill - since the exam is in 24 hours, how should i learn it up. I also need to read chapter 1 and i did a past paper for my teacher yesterday and he said i would get a B OR C with it? Im so scared i have no idea what to do cos i need an A For uni. Tips? Am i prepared okay?

ReputationRep:
    churchill source exams are hard - make sure you answer the question and always compare the sources as better evidence. dont just compare them for no reason

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you should be fine, i'm resitting from last year and i'm still not sure on how to write the part b questions. You don't need much content you just need a good exam technique and to compare the sources well, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    if anyone has tips on how to structure questions A and B please help :cool: plus any ideas what anyone thinks will come up im hearing india off my mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wddzs)
    if anyone has tips on how to structure questions A and B please help :cool: plus any ideas what anyone thinks will come up im hearing india off my mate
    for question a do the similarities in terms of content then the differences and then the compare the provenance of the sources and explain how it affects the credibility of the source based on context, tone, typicality,purpose etc. It's easiest like this where you split similarities differences provenance into 3 sections and can get full marks this way.

For question b group the sources in terms of those that agree with the interpretation and those that disagree.It's likely that there will be a source offering a middle ground. Then go through, the groups but NOT sequentially. So you might start off the paragraph for one group by saying source A,B and C support the interpretation then quote bits of the source to show that the support that point of view. You need to discriminate between the sources meaning you should decide which source supports the interpretation most strongly based on typicality, nature etc and say which source is the most credible in the group and why. Then you should use your own knowledge to either support the source or attack it. For example, if the source starts talking about Churchill as the leader of Germany obviously you're not going to accept that so you should attack the source. You should also look for contradicting elements in the same source.Then repeat the process for each group and at the end come to a judgement about which group of sources is the most credible and why.
    Although not always the case, if they give a source from a modern historian you can usually argue that their point of view is the most credible as they have put a lot of time into the study etc and their views should be respected(mention this especially if it's a source from mike wells haha he writes the exam). You need very little own knowledge even to get the very top marks but obviously it helps to understand the context of the sources. If you have absorbed even 5% of what you've done in class this year in terms of knowledge and you follow a good structure like what i've said, you've got a good chance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.