Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Racist people at my uni are pissing me off Watch

(Original post by ipoop)
    :ditto:

I see no racism here has P.C come to the stage when we aren't even allowed to mention someone's ethnicity? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're missing something here, there's more to saying a descriptive word, it's the tone and context that is important too.

(Original post by Melthusa)
    Be careful here to see If this is actually racism: If somebody describes you as Asian they are probably using it as a feature about yourself; you are from Asian descent. Its like somebody saying that blonde person over there, or that tall person, its not saying it as an insult, but an identifying feature.
    Done some research upon learning this:
    Implicit Race Bias Increases the difference in the neural representations of black and white faces, if it works for black then it must work for the other groups.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0117133311.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Well obviously.

What you learn as a first language is what they would learn as a second language, albeit often to a professional standard of proficiency. Even if they are naturalized they are still unlikely to be as proficient as you.

In the same way - even if you become naturalized in Nederland your Dutch is not likely to be as good as someone who is born in the Netherlands.
    That might be obvious to you but these basic things need to be explained to people who don't get it. That means people who have never known racism themselves which are those people who are denying casual racism is hurtful clearly to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoTown200)
    That might be obvious to you but these basic things need to be explained to people who don't get it. That means people who have never known racism themselves which are those people who are denying casual racism is hurtful clearly to the OP.
    Isn't it obvious to most people at a university that students are likely to be fluent or at least proficient in the language of instruction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I go to a Russell Group university where there are quite a lot of upper/middle-class white people from the South. Obviously, I don't have a problem with this.
    This isn't obvious at all. You give the impression that you have a big problem with "groups of white blonde girls," "stereotypical middle class white British people" who are "southern and affluent" and are "obnoxious, stuck up and casually racist."

Think about what your own words, in quotation marks reveal about your true feelings. You are crudely stereotyping people (you even admit it unconsciously) and attributing characteristics to them based on their skin colour (white), their hair colour (blonde) their sex (female) their social class (wealthy) and where in the country they come from (the south).

If you step back and think about it that is clearly absurd to attribute any characteristic to their skin pigmentation or the colour of their hair (probably from a bottle). It is nonsense. And just as bad as their stereotyping of you. Which you rightly deem to be wrong and unfair and untrue.

These girls sound snobby and obnoxious, yes. But you seem to bring it on yourself by your inverted snobbery and chippiness, and attribution of every slight to racism.

Some people are unpleasant. It is a fact of life, ignore them and find more congenial companions. Or confront inappropriate behaviour with them at the time, rather than whinging about it on a message board.

But above all don't try and pretend to yourself that you are any less racist than they are, because your own words demonstrate it.

ReputationRep:
    Then why is it always me who gets comments made about myself? I appreciate the fact that the word "Asian" can just be used to identify me, but I don't think that that's the case. When there are five other people sitting alone in the computer room and the girl described by a complete stranger as "Asian" is the one who gets a rude comment made about her, why is this the case?
    If I went to a country such as Brazil, I would expect the locals to refer to be as the "Brit" or "White guy". Its just the quickest and simplest way of describing a person.

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel. As an Asian myself I can relate to how you feel. Today, two white guys were in the same lunch area as me, and decided to sit in the table in front of me when other tables were empty. They made fun of my appearance and such and that was just one day, saying other stuff would be an essay. This is also in university, in the UK.

Dealing with this kind of nonsense takes more toll on oneself than it does on anybody else. Admitting it does for starters. The post practical way of dealing with this is to ignore what they say but keep your chin up, don't take the comments to heart, it'll only change you into some hate machine and taking it on someone who didn't really deserve it. The white British people can be annoying, because they are the majority, likes, attitudes and lifestyle cannot be ridiculed because the majority are doing it so it must be right. If you are not white and British in their terms then you are Asian. You are different, perhaps they feel you are inferior, you can be targeted and being weak they gather more and more friends to join in making fun of this weird Asian person. There isn't always a reason for racism, it just happens and happens. It can start from a small group and spread further becoming more of a necessity rather than genuine hate and disgust.

I don't get dirty looks, but annoying and laugh it off looks. I get silent words, whispers, addressing to the group/friend insult, body language and even pictures and paintings(once). This all happened in university. Racism stops things from happening. Things such as love, and bonds as well as unity. If you really want to know how I handle it, well, I simply go about on my own, I look and act like am pissed off to distant myself more from them. I keep away from where they crowd, lunch places, bars and cafes on campus, often getting takeaways but chin up and smiling as this life was always expected and rather, very much suited for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChargerHelper)
    I understand how you feel. As an Asian myself I can relate to how you feel. Today, two white guys were in the same lunch area as me, and decided to sit in the table in front of me when other tables were empty. They made fun of my appearance and such and that was just one day, saying other stuff would be an essay. This is also in university, in the UK.

Dealing with this kind of nonsense takes more toll on oneself than it does on anybody else. Admitting it does for starters. The post practical way of dealing with this is to ignore what they say but keep your chin up, don't take the comments to heart, it'll only change you into some hate machine and taking it on someone who didn't really deserve it. The white British people can be annoying, because they are the majority, likes, attitudes and lifestyle cannot be ridiculed because the majority are doing it so it must be right. If you are not white and British in their terms then you are Asian. You are different, perhaps they feel you are inferior, you can be targeted and being weak they gather more and more friends to join in making fun of this weird Asian person. There isn't always a reason for racism, it just happens and happens. It can start from a small group and spread further becoming more of a necessity rather than genuine hate and disgust.

I don't get dirty looks, but annoying and laugh it off looks. I get silent words, whispers, addressing to the group/friend insult, body language and even pictures and paintings(once). This all happened in university. Racism stops things from happening. Things such as love, and bonds as well as unity. If you really want to know how I handle it, well, I simply go about on my own, I look and act like am pissed off to distant myself more from them. I keep away from where they crowd, lunch places, bars and cafes on campus, often getting takeaways but chin up and smiling as this life was always expected and rather, very much suited for me.
    Wrong. Their lifestyles and mannerisms are ridiculed on a regular basis in London every day. Nothing much happens.

ReputationRep:
    Done some research upon learning this:
    Implicit Race Bias Increases the difference in the neural representations of black and white faces, if it works for black then it must work for the other groups.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0117133311.htm

Science Daily; what have you been smoking?

Isn't it obvious to most people at a university that students are likely to be fluent or at least proficient in the language of instruction?

I think people judge your entire being by your appearance (or stereotype) first, and they don't care if a person speaks english well or not. It's almost like the visual dominates and clouds out what they actually hear. In england, if you speak with the faintest foreign influence in your accent, they treat that as "not proper english" LOL even though everything you say is grammatically correct. You get patronized. They don't always presume you can speak english at Uk universities.

(Original post by Melthusa)
    Science Daily; what have you been smoking?
    What's wrong with science? I come from a science background.
    If I've been smoking I'd be killing brain cells.

Is the truth too hard to digest?

ReputationRep:
    I think people judge your entire being by your appearance (or stereotype) first, and they don't care if a person speaks english well or not. It's almost like the visual dominates and clouds out what they actually hear. In england, if you speak with the faintest foreign influence in your accent, they treat that as "not proper english" LOL even though everything you say is grammatically correct. You get patronized. They don't always presume you can speak english at Uk universities.
    I'm not sure this is accurate. Many of my colleagues in London will speak accented English but they are still able to communicate to a level of fluency. For example, when I was last in London I (speaking with a South Indian accent) was speaking to someone from Amsterdam (speaking with a Dutch accent) and we had no problems understanding each other. Neither of us have been patronized during our conversations with English colleagues, friends or stakeholders.

I would assume that at UK universities it is ALWAYS assumed that students communicate fluently in English since that is always the language of instruction, no?

ReputationRep:
    Too be honest OP, this probably isn't the right place to post something like this. The TSR in general is really racist. Not to mention people are really insensitive and rude on this forum.

Racism is the sad reality of life. It does not need to be blatant to have prevalence. I regret going to the North but hey, I'll head back down to the South East/London once University is over with and hopefully make better friends than I have done here. I think I've learnt from going to the north that as an ethnic minority in the UK, it tends to be much better to stick to multicultural areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeyandlemon)
    Too be honest OP, this probably isn't the right place to post something like this. The TSR in general is really racist. Not to mention people are really insensitive and rude on this forum.

Racism is the sad reality of life. It does not need to be blatant to have prevalence. I regret going to the North but hey, I'll head back down to the South East/London once University is over with and hopefully make better friends than I have done here. I think I've learnt from going to the north that as an ethnic minority in the UK, it tends to be much better to stick to multicultural areas.
    You and the OP continually bang on about how "racist" white British people are. As though other ethnicities are not just as racist, or more so.

Let me ask you a simple question. Have you ever dated a white British man? Would you marry one? (I am assuming you are not married correct me if I am wrong!) What would be (has been?) the reaction of your family to this actual or putative relationship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    You and the OP continually bang on about how "racist" white British people are. As though other ethnicities are not just as racist, or more so.

Let me ask you a simple question. Have you ever dated a white British man? Would you marry one? (I am assuming you are not married correct me if I am wrong!) What would be (has been?) the reaction of your family to this actual or putative relationship?
    Yes I have dated a white British man before. I've actually dated quite a few. When have I constantly "banged on" about how racist white British people are exactly? I only have one other reply to this thread!

If I was in love with one I would marry one. My parents are not conservative and I don't think they'd oppose me to marry anyone if they saw that he was decent and made me happy.

I don't understand this attack at all...

ReputationRep:
    I go to a Russell Group university where there are quite a lot of upper/middle-class white people from the South. Obviously, I don't have a problem with this. I'm half Asian, however, and because of this I don't look like I'm from any particular minority often born in the UK (e.g. I don't look clearly BBC or like a Pakistani girl born in the UK). People have often asked if I'm everything from Brazilian to Spanish upon meeting me. However, I've lived in England all my life, dress perfectly normally and consider myself British. I am sick and tired of the casual racism I face on a day-to-day basis at uni.

I've been at uni for three years (I'm doing a long course) and the amount of casual racism I face here (compared to in my home city where ethnic minorities are very common) is absolutely disgusting. I have a lot of international friends as well and they often encounter it too, and though they don't seem to pick up on it it's definitely there. I hate to say it, but it's often usually the stereotypical middle-class white British people who act like that as well.

As the course I'm doing is quite small I don't have many coursemates and I sometimes sit in the computer room on my own between lectures. At least five times in the last semester (when I've been really busy and in there quite a lot) people have passed me and been like "That Asian girl is so weird" or "That girl looks so tired." "Which one?" "Oh... the Asian one." It's absolutely ridiculous. Obviously I appreciate that it's not just white people who are racist but in my case it's always been them. Once I just sat down and started working in the same row as one of the girls whom I'd heard making a comment like that, and she started huffing for ages and glaring in my direction. I did so back but it was just stupid. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way I was acting, it was clearly just because I was "Asian". I often walk through the library past groups of white blonde girls and get dirty looks.

I'm not considered "weird" in any other sense (I have plenty of friends, I dress and act normally like I said, I speak like a normal British person and so on). I feel like people continually ostracise me and put me down just for the fact that I look different.

We have something called a "Spotted" Facebook page where you can send in stuff about people you see around uni and this gets posted anonymously. Usually this is just people trying to hit on each other, but a lot of the time people will send in ridiculous things like "To the Chinese person sitting in the cafe... oh wait, that's all of them" or "To the people (no need to mention of what nationality) who always sound like a flock of birds in the SU cafe" and then people will make casually racist comments.

Why the hell are some white British people (usually southern and affluent ones, though I'm not trying to generalise here) so obnoxious, stuck-up and casually racist? Why do they see Asian people as inferior? How do I deal with people like that when I see them?
    I'm half black and half turkish cypriot and go to school full of white upper middle class types so I can certainly recognie some of this stuff, especially people being confused about my ethnicity I certainly second twhat some people said about being called asian often just being a distinguishing feature. My mum's (who's black) first descriptor of people she meets is their ethnicity; it's not in a racist way. So some of the things you descibe probably aren't meant in a racist way.
    However people do like to make assumptions through ignorance. I think the best way to deal with it is to educate said middle class types, because most of the time they've probably not met many ethnic minority people. And if you are offended by something someone says, tell them. Don't be like super antagonistic, but you're perfectly entitled to say something like, "I don't like being identified solely as some asian", or just tell them that you're hurt by what they said. I hear quite a lot of generalisations made about asians, like all being amazing at maths but really abrupt, which make me cringe.
    I also think that some of it might be more about the middle class/affluent thing than ethnicity. Class is quire a big thing for people still, and it sounds like it is for you too. You sound quite intimidated or anxious about these people thinking you're inferior, which tbh you shouldn't let upset you. Get angry sure, set these people's views to rights, but remember their opinion of you has the same weight as your opinion of them, and if you're not spending lots of time with these people don't let it upset you.

I could go on about this for ages but basically just tell people if they've said something offensive and let them know it's not on. I find snarky comments sometimes help to get your point across (eg to the girl saying all asians are clumsy, something like "ah all white blonde girls are so self centred")

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You're wrong. There's just as much casual rasism down south as there is up north.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have dated a white British man before. I've actually dated quite a few. When have I constantly "banged on" about how racist white British people are exactly? I only have one other reply to this thread!

If I was in love with one I would marry one. My parents are not conservative and I don't think they'd oppose me to marry anyone if they saw that he was decent and made me happy.

I don't understand this attack at all...
    It isn't an attack! You seem a perfectly nice person, not that it should matter to you what my opinion is of you since we have never met and never will. :-)

I did however take a quick look at your posting history, and this isn't the only thread where you have posted pejorative comments on the racism of white British people. And you have supported the OP whose whole thread is about how racist white British people are!

If you make contentious and offensive remarks you must expect to be called out on them. This kind of casual playing of the race card, and calumnating an entire culture needs to be confronted and addressed.

It isn't as though other ethnicities or cultures aren't equally racist or more so.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously.

What you learn as a first language is what they would learn as a second language, albeit often to a professional standard of proficiency. Even if they are naturalized they are still unlikely to be as proficient as you.

In the same way - even if you become naturalized in Nederland your Dutch is not likely to be as good as someone who is born in the Netherlands.
    That my command of English is excellent is by the by.

Deal with the issue

Institutional Racism against Chinese which is ignored by the usual cadre of left wing BS artist.

ReputationRep:
    Racist people on TSR piss me off -.-

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.