Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I should've got 75/75, but I always tend to panic and lose my head in exams
    For Q2 I didn't use negative 2, and came out with 590N.
    For 6,a,ii, I don't know if I got the distance from A, or just from P. I got B right and I'm sure I would have got a,ii, but it's the kind of stupid mistake I make in exams.
    And for 8,C, I got a very similar value using 2Tcos45, but I converted to decimal a bit too early (I think) and may have made an error, and when I multiply out your value, the difference is about 0.06. Also, I don't think I talked about the angle very well, and reckon I lost that mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Question on 4b.

How did you get V = 34 at midpoint AB when it is accelerating constantly?
    It said it was constantly accelerating and passed B with speed 34.

However, midpoint AB's speed wouldn't have been 34 would it?
    You only use V in v=u+at to get the acceleration. As it it constant, it doesn't matter whereyou take the final speed, as long as you have the right time. In this case, we were given the total time.
    Then, you change the distance so S=120, and now you know a and u, so you can use s=ut+0.5at^2

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the upload!
    Hi, for the moments question (q6a (i)), if you gave your answer as 245N (which is the weight of the beam), instead of writing the mass of the beam (25kg), how many marks do you think I would lose? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Say I had the correct method for the moments question on M1, created 2 equations but solved them to get the 'wrong answer' and then used this value in part a(ii) to use the correct method and get the correct answer to MY answer which I got in part (i) and then also using the wrong answer in part (b) but doing the correct method and getting the right answer to my answer.

Will there be Error carried forward? How many marks Have I lost?

Is it right to say about 6/?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Arsey,
    Would you happen to guess how many marks I would lose if I forgot the 2gsin30 in 3(a)?. I set up an equation for the friction and put it into the other equation but forgot to add 9.8 so my answer was 9.8 less than it should be.

Please can someone help me out because I have been stressing about this all day, will they drop me all 8 marks or will I pick up method marks and if so how many?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    It appears so.
    I also had a different paper. Do you remember any of your answers?

ReputationRep:
    what UMS do you think 71 would be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiopg)
    I also had a different paper. Do you remember any of your answers?
    I didn't sit for this paper, but I showed this MS to one of my friends who did, and he said it wasn't the paper he did either.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions on grade boundaries????

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't sit for this paper, but I showed this MS to one of my friends who did, and he said it wasn't the paper he did either.
    For reals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    For reals?
    Yeah

(Original post by ljh950912)
    What about 2 sigfig? I put everything that involved gravity in 2sf. Is it fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mathematically you are correct, it should be to 2sf. However, Edexcel allow 3sf (the average value of g is about 9.806 anyway).

2sf or 3sf on questions involving g is fine. I encourage my students to leave every FINAL answer to 3sf unless stated otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Here are my solutions to the M1 paper. Fairly easy, moments one will cause problems though.

503 error when uploading????

Arsey what did you think of peoples reaction after sitting the paper? On various forums people said the paper was a joke and even at my school about 60 people sitting didn't get past Q4.

What are your opinions on the boundaries and are ECF marks awarded?

(Original post by Elbridge)
    Well, this paper is completely different from the one I sat yesterday. I suppose Edexcel is making different papers for different regions like CIE now?
    (I am an international student)
    Really? That is interesting. It is something I have thought for a long time that they should do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! On the last question, I forgot to include g in my calculation for acceleration; all my methods and answers for that question are correct except that they don't have a g in them. Will there be some sort of 'error carried forward' here? Or like a 'penalise omission of g only once'? It's so frustrating that everything is correct except the g.

Boundaries

Hard for me to judge as I only had one student taking it this session (they all did it in Jan); so it is difficult to gauge a balanced opinion on difficulty. I personally thought it was a pretty easy paper, the only one I thought that would be really poorly answered nationally was the moments question.

The last 3 June boundaries for 80ums were 65, 60 and 61. I would be guessing towards the 65/75 mark for an A on that basis.

Last question.

Anything to do with 45 degrees down, SW etc should be fine. I am not sure why they even asked it as it is very obvious.

Follow through marks

There are not as many ft marks as most people seem to think. Don't think one error results in one mark lost, it rarely is the case on a big question.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    Maybe internationals might sit different papers?

(Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Question on 4b.

How did you get V = 34 at midpoint AB when it is accelerating constantly?
    It said it was constantly accelerating and passed B with speed 34.

However, midpoint AB's speed wouldn't have been 34 would it?

oh dear.

as you speed up you cover more distance in each unit of time. So no, the speed wouldn't be half at the midpoint.

ReputationRep:
    Arsey: I'm thinking this paper was harder than the Jan 09 paper. And that had 49/75 for A. So should we be expecting something like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Maybe internationals might sit different papers?
    Wasn't the case in Jan, but probably is the case for this exam session.

Guess I may not be able to discuss C4/FP2/FP3 with you guys, then :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.