Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Gay marriage is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AeneasBK)
    Quentin Tarantino is a terrible director who makes terrible films people just love em because people are bad-asses in them with guns and swearing.
    Certainly their general popularity is probably down to all the guns and swearing, but what I particularly enjoy about tarantino films is the strong screenplay by Tarantino (which is what he's won his oscars for); Roger Ebert summarised this brilliantly in his review -

"If the situations are inventive and original, so is the dialogue. A lot of movies these days use flat, functional speech: The characters say only enough to advance the plot. But the people in "Pulp Fiction" are in love with words for their own sake. The dialogue by Tarantino and Avary is off the wall sometimes, but that's the fun. It also means that the characters don't all sound the same: Travolta is laconic, Jackson is exact, Plummer and Roth are dopey lovey-doveys, Keitel uses the shorthand of the busy professional, Thurman learned how to be a moll by studying soap operas."

The violence is there just because it's appropriate to the theme of the movie - nazi-germany, slavery, gangsters etc. In fact jackie brown didn't really have much violence in it, though he was criticised for the n-word - all he's doing is making them realistic. The most memorable scenes for me (and a lot of people) aren't the violent ones at all; the restaurant scene with thurman, the 'royale with cheese', christoph waltz' opening speech in inglorious basterds (which won him an oscar) etc.

what I hate in movies is if its just loads of violence and action, but no originality or substance - tarantino movies have plently on the whole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    There should be a system of Government controlled breeding licenses in place.

Before anybody could be grated a license to breed they would need to undergo a series of tests and evaluations to make sure that they will make a good parent, and anybody who fails the tests is to be sterilised. The license will also include testing for the presence of any genetic problems that could potentially be passed on, detection of which will result in sterilisation also.

Anybody found to have conceived without a breeding license will have their pregnancy terminated if they are within the first 5 months of the pregnancy, and if they are beyond that point then their child will be placed in the adoption system immediately after its birth.

The UK should have conscription. All individuals, male and female, must serve a minimum of three years in the armed forces upon finishing their education. Failure to perform to an acceptable standard throughout your time in the armed forces will result in a prison sentence for the duration of your period of national service.

Learner drivers should be required to log at least 500 hours behind the wheel before they are granted a full license and legally allowed to drive by themselves.
    Serious driving offences - driving without insurance, no MOT, without a license, causing an accident which seriously injures or kills somebody, etc... - will result in a lifetime driving ban. Breaching this ban will be punishable by a 10 year prison sentence.

The death penalty should be re-introduced. It will be mandatory for any prisoners convicted of murder, and long prison sentences - anything over 20 years - will be replaced by the death penalty.
    Absolutely no to 3 years national service,

ReputationRep:
    I look down on people who get "your" and "you're" confused on TSR.

Or at least, if they make that mistake, I feel that I've basically won the argument by default.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of many unpopular opinions I have omg, I'm so dull.

The only, possibly unpopular though I'm sure many agree, opinion I have is that religion is a massive waste of time as it causes more harm than good.

(Also, FRIENDS IS AMAZING; bah, you people and your wrong opinions. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    Would you apply that rule to yourself?
    Yes. If I failed an intelligence test and was told that it's best if I don't reproduce, fair enough. However, that's highly unlikley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Yes. If I failed an intelligence test and was told that it's best if I don't reproduce, fair enough. However, that's highly unlikley.
    Fair enough. Of course the logical consequence would be to source all future genetic material from MENSA.

ReputationRep:
    University should be reserved for those actually studying something worthwhile.

Btw, what are your reasons for the inferior genetics and women cannot vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redz0r)
    I noticed there was an unpopular opinions thread on sport and music, but not one for general ideas.

Here's some of my mine (don't be offended)

Fight club is massively overrated
    So is The walking dead

People should take a test before reproducing - this way inferior genetics are not passed on

The era we live in will go down in history as the most influential and the best - if you hate current society feel free to go back to the 1300's without your precious Iphones and catch black death

If you want the death penalty back, you should be willing to enter your name and details into a hat. Everytime someone innocent is killed by the death penalty, a random name is drawn and that person is executed

Majority of women shouldn't be allowed to vote
    all your opinions were tolerable until I got to the end one. this is not a man's world anymore, therefore your opinion is invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redz0r)
    well stupid for a start
    Intelligence governed by genetics? :no:

ReputationRep:
    Jack Nicholson is an overrated actor (even in Cuckoo's Nest!)
    Coldplay are whiny/ boring
    Female tennis players shouldn't be paid as much as male
    I don't really like Friends

ReputationRep:
    9/11 was an inside job

And

Feminism is a pointless worn out movement that achieves nothing
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I don't like Friends either.

I think a lot of chart music is overrated tripe.

ReputationRep:
    You deserve to be removed from my birthday invitation list for plagiarising my thread :badger:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2350920

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    Fair enough. Of course the logical consequence would be to source all future genetic material from MENSA.
    Running full genome scans would be necessary too. Physical testing as well.

ReputationRep:
    Kim Kardashian is fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venomilys)
    University should be reserved for those actually studying something worthwhile.
    Yes to that! University needs to revert back to being elite.

ReputationRep:
    TSR members with red gems should be left on a desert island together for one full year.

We wonderful positive-repped people will watch on with amusement as your antisocial opinions and trollish behaviour overspills into a Lord of the Flies scenario with fights, backstabbing, and overwhelming *****iness. Howdya like people now?

Survivors will be given a fresh start on TSR, plus bionic replacements for any limbs lost in the bloodshed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I don't like Friends either.

I think a lot of chart music is overrated tripe.
    This whole "not liking Friends" craze is becoming a bit too popular in this thread of unpopular opinions. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Yes to that! University needs to revert back to being elite.
    It needs to revert back to being REALLY elite.

Oxford and Cambridge can stay. The rest can go.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that this was an attempt at lampooning elitism. Not serious.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.