Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women shaving - When did people start *****ing about it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Hygiene and cleanliness as opposed to a socially constructed preference. Don't be daft.
    One can be perfectly healthy and smell bad :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    Compare having short hair and facial hair to:
    -Shaved legs
    -Shaved armpits
    -Shaved pubes
    -Bleaching/removing facial hair for some girls.

However it would be nicer if men didn't feel too pressured to have short hair. Though they had their chance in the 70s...
    I can't see that too many companies insist women shave their armpits and pubic hair. Facial hair is the same as men; as for shaved legs, if women don't want to shave their legs but work for a company that expect it, then they should just wear trousers, like all men do in the workplace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Hygiene and cleanliness as opposed to a socially constructed preference. Don't be daft.
    You'll notice through life that the world works on socially constructed preferences. To give two workplace examples that sprung to mind, however: the traditional suit, which is expected of men; and the handshake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffinman)
    Is it all purely down to feminists wanting women to look more like men?
    That is a ridiculous thing to say, women don't look more like men if they don't shave. Women naturally have hair, to shave it off is unnatural though it is preferable to some men and woman including me. But to say hair is manly is ridiculous.

If a woman doesn't want shave so be it, if a man isn't attracted to a woman for being unshaven then fair enough that's his choice. Though I think any man or woman who criticizes a female (or a male) for not shaving is a complete ass it is there body so there choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That is a ridiculous thing to say, women don't look more like men if they don't shave.
    Women generally don't grow beards or have chest hair so it would be safe to say that excessive hair is a masculine trait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffinman)
    Women generally don't grow beards or have chest hair so it would be safe to say that excessive hair is a masculine trait.

Yeah...except we are talking about women in general and shaving and for the most part (though there are some exceptions) this would just be talking about the legs, under arms and pubic area not the face and chest.
    Though if a woman is prone to growing facial hair or has hair on her chest I disagree that makes her any less of a woman though by societies standards she would not look feminine.

ReputationRep:
    That is a ridiculous thing to say, women don't look more like men if they don't shave. Women naturally have hair, to shave it off is unnatural though it is preferable to some men and woman including me. But to say hair is manly is ridiculous.

If a woman doesn't want shave so be it, if a man isn't attracted to a woman for being unshaven then fair enough that's his choice. Though I think any man or woman who criticizes a female (or a male) for not shaving is a complete ass it is there body so there choice.
    Women will never understand. Unlike women who aren't massively against feminine features on a man, men are absolutely against masculine looking women. Women will never understand how repulsive men find hairy women, bulky muscular women, extremely tall women, women with manly jaws, women who wear baggy men's clothes, bald women etc. At the end of the day I'm not arguing that women should be forced to shave, my argument is that if you decide not to shave then don't complain if you are shunned by most men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Women will never understand. Unlike women who aren't massively against feminine features on a man, men are absolutely against masculine looking women. Women will never understand how repulsive men find hairy women, bulky muscular women, extremely tall women, women with manly jaws, women who wear baggy men's clothes, bald women etc. At the end of the day I'm not arguing that women should be forced to shave, my argument is that if you decide not to shave then don't complain if you are shunned by most men.
    I actually never complained about men not being attracted to un-shaven women, I actually said the opposite"If a woman doesn't want to shave so be it, if a man isn't attracted to a woman for being unshaven then fair enough that his choice" The only thing I will complain about is if a man (or a woman) is rude to or criticizes a woman for choosing not shave, if you're not attracted to a hairy woman then fair enough don't date that woman just so long as you don't criticize her and made her feel bad about herself for not fitting into your standards.

Also I do understand the un-attraction to hairy women, if I saw a woman with hairy legs I would not be attracted her, I also do not find myself to be attractive when I am hairy, But I would not criticize a woman's choice to not shave

ReputationRep:
    We should also remember that being 'feminine' (whatever that is) is not the only thing that is attractive in a woman.
    As there are a whole host of personalities, mannerisms, characteristics which may be attractive, and being hairy is only a tiny part of her.

So perhaps 'shunned' is a little excessive.
    I don't think it is the first thing men look for tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I actually never complained about men not being attracted to un-shaven women, I actually said the opposite"If a woman doesn't want to shave so be it, if a man isn't attracted to a woman for being unshaven then fair enough that his choice" The only thing I will complain about is if a man (or a woman) is rude to or criticizes a woman for choosing not shave, if you're not attracted to a hairy woman then fair enough don't date that woman just so long as you don't criticize her and made her feel bad about herself for not fitting into your standards.

Also I do understand the un-attraction to hairy women, if I saw a woman with hairy legs I would not be attracted her, I also do not find myself to be attractive when I am hairy, But I would not criticize a woman's choice to not shave
    If you look out of place or different or unnappealing you get criticized. Human nature. You also can't complain if this happens to you. If I as a man walks around in makeup I'm gonna get criticized at because I don't fit in with what is accepted in society. Not doing anything illegal or harmful to myself or others but that's just how the world works. I let my hair grow which is natural but I always get criticism from others about it. I'm not going to go around campaigning that nobody ever criticizes my appearance. Women's desires to look as they please without criticism are naive. If guys see a hairy woman they're gonna say to their mates "ew that woman is so hairy" If you don't like it then too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what the aim of this thread is, or what OP is complaining at, something about women and shaving.

ReputationRep:
    If you look out of place or different or unnappealing you get criticized. Human nature. You also can't complain if this happens to you. If I as a man walks around in makeup I'm gonna get criticized at because I don't fit in with what is accepted in society. Not doing anything illegal or harmful to myself or others but that's just how the world works. I let my hair grow which is natural but I always get criticism from others about it. I'm not going to go around campaigning that nobody ever criticizes my appearance. Women's desires to look as they please without criticism are naive. If guys see a hairy woman they're gonna say to their mates "ew that woman is so hairy" If you don't like it then too bad.
    I'm fully aware that criticism will always take place and it is way to ideological to think it will just stop, but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed that it happens. Oh and in case you're interested if I saw you walking down the street in make up I wouldn't dream of criticizing you for it, but maybe I'm just one of few open minded people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    We should also remember that being 'feminine' (whatever that is) is not the only thing that is attractive in a woman.
    As there are a whole host of personalities, mannerisms, characteristics which may be attractive, and being hairy is only a tiny part of her.

So perhaps 'shunned' is a little excessive.
    I don't think it is the first thing men look for tbh.
    Ah This is also something that women never understand. The male internet white knights may come screaming with false calls of "that's not true" but I speak for the vast majority of men when I say that to a man looks are incredibly important. Yes it's not the only thing but it's the first hurdle and it's a gigantic one. For men, being confident is the first massive hurdle. if they can't do that then no matter how good they look most women won't be interested. Many TSR foreveralone virgins on here can attest to that. Likewise for women looks are the first hurdle. If a man isn't physically attracted to you then no matter how good your personality is most men won't be interested.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fully aware that criticism will always take place and it is way to ideological to think it will just stop, but that doesn't mean I can't be annoyed that it happens. Oh and in case you're interested if I saw you walking down the street in make up I wouldn't dream of criticizing you for it, but maybe I'm just one of few open minded people.
    They need to invent a word for this form of hypothetical denial that I keep seeing.

"If I was in a burning building I know that most people would just run for their lives BUT I WOULDN'T. I'd stay and save as many people as possible"

"If I was born and raised in Uganda I know that most people are homophobic BUT I WOULDN'T BE. I'd be an open minded free spirit who acepts people for who they are despite the views of everyone around me

"If I saw a dude walking down the road in makeup I know most people would give funny looks. BUT I WOULDN'T. Because i'm way more open minded than everyone else

ReputationRep:
    There's *****iness about everything- best is to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    They need to invent a word for this form of hypothetical denial that I keep seeing.

"If I was in a burning building I know that most people would just run for their lives BUT I WOULDN'T. I'd stay and save as many people as possible" This is a ridiculous comparison to what I said because this is life and death, some people would stay and help some people wouldn't. I don't know what I would do because I've never been in that situation.

"If I was born and raised in Uganda I know that most people are homophobic BUT I WOULDN'T BE. I'd be an open minded free spirit who acepts people for who they are despite the views of everyone around me I'm fully aware if I was born and raised in Uganda I would probably be homophobic, I'm open minded because of how I have been raised and the decisions I have made and the opinions I have formed once mature enough to do so.

"If I saw a dude walking down the road in makeup I know most people would give funny looks. BUT I WOULDN'T. Because i'm way more open minded than everyone else. I never said I was more open minded than EVERYONE else I am sure there are people more open minded than me, but if I did see a man walk down the street in make up I would be fine with it, I have a few male friends who dress in drag I have gotten into conversation with men wearing make up and women's clothing on public transport, I have been in this situation and therefore I can say how I would react to it.
    I am in no form of denial. Though fair enough people in denial would deny being so :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I am in no form of denial. Though fair enough people in denial would deny being so :lol:
    If one accuses you of being in denial you must be in denial because denying that you are in denial is a form of denial and admission of denial is verification that you are in denial. Therefore you are in denial.

ReputationRep:
    If one accuses you of being in denial you must be in denial because denying that you are in denial is a form of denial and admission of denial is verification that you are in denial. Therefore you are in denial.
    Okay feel free to spout your bull****, ignore my main points and have a nice day okay? I hope to hear more rubbish from you soon.

ReputationRep:
    Okay feel free to spout your bull****, ignore my main points and have a nice day okay? I hope to hear more rubbish from you soon.
    I was sharing a catch 22 joke with you...

ReputationRep:
    I was sharing a catch 22 joke with you...
    Oh I'm sorry, I have not seen the film or read the book so I wasn't aware of that. I thought you were just being an ass I'm human, humans make mistakes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.