World Cup 2022 to be played in the winter. Watch

Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CelticSymphony67)
There is a simple way around this. It will not be very popular though. If they choose to play the 2022 World Cup in Qatar in January 2022, then the way around it is the following

1. No European competitions for 2021-22 season
2. No League Cup Competitions in European leagues.
3. Just hold the regular league season and FA Cup and Assosiation Cups in the respective European Leagues.
4. If World Cup is held in January, the European leagues take the break 21 days before the opening day of the World Cup and then resume the league competitions 10 days after the World Cup Final

Problem solved. It might not be popular, and with no Champions League Football for a season, it will be costly, but this is a way to do it.
And would have the side benefit of setting Blatter against Platini.

Although, if Blatter guarantees Platini the FIFA job when he retires, it's a done deal.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
The climate is the least of the problems.

Mainly, the infrastructure is the big deal. Qatar is completely unsuitable as a venue and has extremely poor form when hosting events.

They hosted the 2006 Asian games which was a fiasco. They didn't even have enough accommodation for the athletes, never mind the fans, and the Asian games is a minnow compared to the world cup.

I posted this before - but take this as context:
Dude what's your point? Most sporting virtually requires new infrastructure/ facilities to be built or redeveloped to virtually new stadium. The German WC, SA WC was similar, the olympics in London was similar, the Euros in Ukraine and Poland WC in Brazil. I could go further back in history. It's the status quo with these sort of thing. The infrastructure will not be a problem.
AXERTYRE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It will simply not gonna happen, quite frankly I dont know how Fifa are going to sort out this mess they got themselves in through bribery and corruption. There are too much money involved with European football especially EPL, they will definitely sue the ass off Fifa.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
This section of the article interests me...

Is it bad that we (western Europe) essentially force the world cup to be hosted at this time? I'd never thought of that before.
I agree with what he said. If people want to keep calling the WC, they better get used to it to actually go to places all around the world rather than the archaic supercilious thinking that it should only go to certain countries that fits them. Otherwise, call it the Euros and American cup.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AXERTYRE)
It will simply not gonna happen, quite frankly I dont know how Fifa are going to sort out this mess they got themselves in through bribery and corruption. There are too much money involved with European football especially EPL, they will definitely sue the ass off Fifa.
Fifa are the ruler of world football. They have PL is at the balls. Fifa decides the footballing calendar.

Plus, they have support from UEFA and most likely other leagues around Europe. I know they have the Germans backings. How's PL going to circumvent that?
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Dude what's your point? Most sporting virtually requires new infrastructure/ facilities to be built or redeveloped to virtually new stadium. The German WC, SA WC was similar, the olympics in London was similar, the Euros in Ukraine and Poland WC in Brazil. I could go further back in history. It's the status quo with these sort of thing. The infrastructure will not be a problem.
The point is that most of the time redevelopment involves building a few new stadia and regenerating towns/areas. In the Qatar case, they are building all the stadia (except one) from scratch in a country that has no proper football league, and they will be parachuting huge international stadia (like the Emirates or OT or Millennium) onto tiny, tiny villages in the desert.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
The point is that most of the time redevelopment involves building a few new stadia and regenerating towns/areas. In the Qatar case, they are building all the stadia (except one) from scratch in a country that has no proper football league, and they will be parachuting huge international stadia (like the Emirates or OT or Millennium) onto tiny, tiny villages in the desert.
Still don't think that it'll be an issue as much as you're trying to make it. All the stadium are unlikely to take more than 1% of the total area of the country. Olympic gets hosted in cities with no problem where more events are going on and with many people. Yes, it'll be a challenge. Yes it'll be different. But, that's not a reason to discount them.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 419)
Still don't think that it'll be an issue as much as you're trying to make it. All the stadium are unlikely to take more than 1% of the total area of the country. Olympic gets hosted in cities with no problem where more events are going on and with many people. Yes, it'll be a challenge. Yes it'll be different. But, that's not a reason to discount them.
I'm not saying they aren't capable of hosting the tournament (although their track record is dire). What I'm saying is that it will be a farce. Some of the stadia will be hours and hours of trekking through the desert to see a football match in a tiny fishing village with a population of 3000, that has a stadium with a capacity of 50,000. That location will have nothing whatsoever to do with football - it's just a stadium in the middle of nowhere.

One of the great things about international tournaments is the atmosphere you get - that's why Italia 90 was amazing - the country loved football and the venues were the grounds of great clubs like the Milan clubs, Juventus, Fiorentina etc. Same went for Euro 96 with big matches at Highbury, Anfield and Old Trafford. There's a sense of occasion and that a match is taking place in a real temple of sport.

Lately, this has been lost with the South African World Cup, and to a lesser extent in Japan/Korea and USA. No one can say that Germany, France weren't much greater events, or that Brazil won't be.

On the other hand - what will Qatar 22 be? Everything about it is wrong. They don't really play football, they don't really have a league to speak of, it's too hot, they can't host sports events, it was sold as a summer tournament, and will now very likely be a winter one - inconveniencing the major playing leagues; the country doesn't have the facility to host the supporters, outside of Doha, the country has virtually nothing, none of the stadia have any history or real professional clubs - they're just sterile buildings amongst the sand dunes built for one event and then very likely either torn down or abandoned.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If there is to be a winter world cup in 2022 then there should be a re-run of the bid process.
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Qatar is a very small country, and it is quite modern as well. If anything, apart from the weather conditions in the summer, it is a great place to hold a World Cup. The country itself is great, and they all speak English, mostly because it used to be a British Protectorate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14702226
sr90
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. No European competitions for 2021-22 season
The Champions League is a huge cash cow for UEFA, why on earth would they sanction this?
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
The Champions League is a huge cash cow for UEFA, why on earth would they sanction this?
Only option I can see. There cannot be a full European football fixture program, on top of a full league season, domestic cups and a two month break for a World Cup. Something(s) will have to be sacrificed. UEFA do not run world football, FIFA do, and if they want a Winter World Cup, something will have to give.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't believe that 2022 is only in 9 years.
AspiringGenius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Qatar is a very small country, and it is quite modern as well. If anything, apart from the weather conditions in the summer, it is a great place to hold a World Cup. The country itself is great, and they all speak English, mostly because it used to be a British Protectorate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14702226
It may be "modern" but alcohol is prohibited, homosexuality is illegal, human rights don't exist and they are an absolute monarchy which functions by the royal family throwing the countries wealth around. It's not a footballing nation- it has never even been in the final 32 of any world cup. It's literally only got the big because the Qatari monarchy threw $$$ at FIFA. I won't be suprised if in 9 years time the country's oil has run out and it collapses because Al Jazeera and Qatar Airways can't sustain the financial indulgences of the Monarchy.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
I'm not saying they aren't capable of hosting the tournament (although their track record is dire). What I'm saying is that it will be a farce. Some of the stadia will be hours and hours of trekking through the desert to see a football match in a tiny fishing village with a population of 3000, that has a stadium with a capacity of 50,000. That location will have nothing whatsoever to do with football - it's just a stadium in the middle of nowhere.

One of the great things about international tournaments is the atmosphere you get - that's why Italia 90 was amazing - the country loved football and the venues were the grounds of great clubs like the Milan clubs, Juventus, Fiorentina etc. Same went for Euro 96 with big matches at Highbury, Anfield and Old Trafford. There's a sense of occasion and that a match is taking place in a real temple of sport.

Lately, this has been lost with the South African World Cup, and to a lesser extent in Japan/Korea and USA. No one can say that Germany, France weren't much greater events, or that Brazil won't be.

On the other hand - what will Qatar 22 be? Everything about it is wrong. They don't really play football, they don't really have a league to speak of, it's too hot, they can't host sports events, it was sold as a summer tournament, and will now very likely be a winter one - inconveniencing the major playing leagues; the country doesn't have the facility to host the supporters, outside of Doha, the country has virtually nothing, none of the stadia have any history or real professional clubs - they're just sterile buildings amongst the sand dunes built for one event and then very likely either torn down or abandoned.
I honestly cba with this anymore. All of what you say is either a lie or conjecture which I've already adhered to in many of my previous posts. Not interested in regurgitation the same point.

I just wish you people will say what the main problem. It's nothing to do with Qatar, you just don't like it that the WC is taken somewhere that's unlike what a lot of Westerners are used to. It all comes down to a supercilious attitude, we know best and we own football attitude. It is a global and inclusive game. It isn't some boys clubs that's meant to cater to just a small cohort of people. Accept it.

It's sad that a lot of you want them to fail.
cleveradam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would be interesting to see teams playing at 40 degrees. The fittest team will win the world cup. Why not just leave it as summer?
sr90
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only option I can see. There cannot be a full European football fixture program, on top of a full league season, domestic cups and a two month break for a World Cup. Something(s) will have to be sacrificed. UEFA do not run world football, FIFA do, and if they want a Winter World Cup, something will have to give.
UEFA couldn't care less about the domestic leagues. They will try and protect their own in the same way that the FA (and their counterparts in Spain, France, Germany etc etc) and FIFA will. Besides, it's not like this is the first time a World Cup would be held in such high temperatures. Mexico 1970/86 and USA 1994 the obvious two that come to mind.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
This section of the article interests me...

Is it bad that we (western Europe) essentially force the world cup to be hosted at this time? I'd never thought of that before.
No, since Western Europe invented football, governs football and plays the best football
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hopefully Blatter will be dead in time to reschedule it
CelticSymphony67
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AspiringGenius)
It may be "modern" but alcohol is prohibited, homosexuality is illegal, human rights don't exist and they are an absolute monarchy which functions by the royal family throwing the countries wealth around. It's not a footballing nation- it has never even been in the final 32 of any world cup. It's literally only got the big because the Qatari monarchy threw $$$ at FIFA. I won't be suprised if in 9 years time the country's oil has run out and it collapses because Al Jazeera and Qatar Airways can't sustain the financial indulgences of the Monarchy.
This is not The Politics Show. They put in a bid for the World Cup and they won it. No point people moaning about it. If they have no alcohol and a ban on homosexuality, what has that got to do with us or the running of The World Cup? Nothing. I must also point out that they are legalising alcohol in time for 2022.

FIFA should have thought about all the potential hassle with regards to the Qatari climate and the like before they voted. Whether we like it or not, they will be holding the 2022 World Cup, in what is a great little Gulf country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.71%
No - I got the required grades (101)
57.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.57%

Watched Threads