£400 to spend on a phone Watch

tomj45
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ashleighgiles)
I'm trying to save up for a new phone - preferably the S4. I've had my Blackberry for 5 years and its reaching the last days of its life. Since my budget is considerably tight, do you think I should go for an S3 or straight to an S4?
Even better, I just checked, the S3 is only £289 DELIVERED. Not bad at all if you;re looking to buy a phone
Little J
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Buy an Iphone.
ashleighgiles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tomj45)
Even better, I just checked, the S3 is only £289 DELIVERED. Not bad at all if you;re looking to buy a phone
Wow, seems like its gone down significantly. Good for me!
Thanks for the information. Its weird that some retail stores in my area tell me that the S3 has been discontinued. That's a lie, right?
otester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the information. Its weird that some retail stores in my area tell me that the S3 has been discontinued. That's a lie, right?
You seem to be short on funds yet your willing to pay more for something you don't need, am I detecting a lack of consistency?
F_shakeey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tomj45)
The nexus 4 is better spec for spec generally so why spend more for the S3? Unless you really really need a sd card slot.

When they say discontinued they mean 'we want to get rid of all our stock since the price goes down and we can't make much money off them and then after we'll only stock the S4 and other samsung releases'

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jokosor)
If you end up choosing an iPhone then all I can say is - A fool and their money are soon parted

Other than that you will have to pin down your specific needs.
Work oriented? Blackberry Q10
Socially oriented? Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4
Perhaps the HTC ONE X or ONE
As much as I dislike iphones, one thing they are very, very good at is retaining their value. That is literally the only reason I'd own an iphone
ashleighgiles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by otester)
You seem to be short on funds yet your willing to pay more for something you don't need, am I detecting a lack of consistency?
I have enough to buy an S4, but its really tight. If I buy an S3 I'll have some change left. Really, the S3 is enough for my needs, but I'm really intrigued by what the S4 can do.

(Original post by F_shakeey)
The nexus 4 is better spec for spec generally so why spend more for the S3? Unless you really really need a sd card slot.

When they say discontinued they mean 'we want to get rid of all our stock since the price goes down and we can't make much money off them and then after we'll only stock the S4 and other samsung releases'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see. When they first said it, I thought they meant that they no longer have S3's around :eek:
Nexus 4 ... I haven't seen those around here! I might have look it up. I've tried the HTC One though - it wasn't bad at all!
otester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have enough to buy an S4, but its really tight. If I buy an S3 I'll have some change left. Really, the S3 is enough for my needs, but I'm really intrigued by what the S4 can do.

I see. When they first said it, I thought they meant that they no longer have S3's around :eek:
Nexus 4 ... I haven't seen those around here! I might have look it up. I've tried the HTC One though - it wasn't bad at all!
Why not an S2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Get a Nokia brick, you'll still have it when you're 90

Posted from TSR Mobile
F257
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
imo probably the biggest differences really between the s3/4 is that the s4 is LTE as standard and thus more future proof, and on paper the batter life is bigger and the camera better, but youll still need to charge reguarly and youll probably not really notice any quality difference in photos between the two . Otherwise pretty much the same for the casual user
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, and I think it works quite well. Having previously had an iTouch, I do much prefer Android, simply on the basis that you don't need to bugger about syncing it to a computer.

£400 is an awful lot just to spend on the handset though - my entire 24 month contract (free phone, 100 minutes, 3000 texts, 350mb data) is £252
otester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by F257)
imo probably the biggest differences really between the s3/4 is that the s4 is LTE as standard and thus more future proof, and on paper the batter life is bigger and the camera better, but youll still need to charge reguarly and youll probably not really notice any quality difference in photos between the two . Otherwise pretty much the same for the casual user
Why spend all that much the when the OP doesn't needs it and is tight on funds?
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jokosor)
If you end up choosing an iPhone then all I can say is - A fool and their money are soon parted

Other than that you will have to pin down your specific needs.
Work oriented? Blackberry Q10
Socially oriented? Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4
Perhaps the HTC ONE X or ONE
What is so awful about the iPhone? My dad has an iPhone 3G that has lasted him around 5 years which is pretty good value i'd say.

It seems a lot of people just bash the iPhone because it's a popular phone and they have to be different to everyone else.
otester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by deedee123)
What is so awful about the iPhone? My dad has an iPhone 3G that has lasted him around 5 years which is pretty good value i'd say.

It seems a lot of people just bash the iPhone because it's a popular phone and they have to be different to everyone else.
It's generally considered an idiots phone.

Another view is that Apple isn't an ethical company, mainly in the labour department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
deedee123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's generally considered an idiots phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not an explanation as to what is technically wrong with the phone, or are you just one of these people who have to be different for the sake of it?
Ibraheem Ahmad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nexus 4 or Oppo find 5 or for £50 more a htc one.
http://europe.oppostyle.com/home/8-find-5-white.html

Oppo Sounds unknown but its really powerful and has simular specs to the htc one
Posted from TSR Mobile
otester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not an explanation as to what is technically wrong with the phone, or are you just one of these people who have to be different for the sake of it?
Well the view is that you have to bean idiot to buy a phone with inferior specs for a higher price than the competition...

Posted from TSR Mobile
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So much hate for iPhones...I will admit, their camera sucks and they're overpriced and Safari's not the most fantastic browser, but I have an iPad and I spend every waking moment on it. (It was a birthday present because my computer died.) It really is a fantastic piece of kit. People going 'apple products are ****e' - Apple and Samsung phones are both miracles of nature. Unbelievable.

Seriously, though, get a regular priced phone and save the rest of the money. I love my iPad but I would never have bought an iPhone. It's way too risky to keep it on you at all times - thefts, breakages...my dad just had to shell out for a new one, after the button broke and dug into some wiring. The warranty's only a year long.
deedee123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well the view is that you have to bean idiot to buy a phone with inferior specs for a higher price than the competition...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hearing all of these general opinions of it being inferior yet no actual specifics.
otester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hearing all of these general opinions of it being inferior yet no actual specifics.
Well for a start, screen size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise