Useful Superpowers?? Watch

That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the context of saving the world, the hot dolls power from Misfits was hilariously awful, (people become sexually attracted to you on contact)

Might be a handy trait for us though.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by randomd_love)
or upset you :cry2: I really don't get this wanting to know thing everyone keeps saying. there are times of the month where my brain is like a rollercoaster :rolleyes::

I'm hungry, i want chocolate, i'm cold, i want chocolate, this feels good, i want chocolate, i hate you sometimes, i want chocolate, will you marry me, i want chocolate. i'm hot, i want chocolate, i never said this feels good, i want chocolate - YOU BOUGHT ME CHOCOLATE - I LOVE YOU AGAIN

I'm flippin nuts! you would recommend to have me sectioned and put on a diet
hahaha - you think about chocolate too much!

I'd like to see inside anyone's mind. So interesting to know people's real true and honest opinions. Their untarnished view of life, people and what they do. Their regrets, fears, decisions, enjoyments etc. It would be amazing to know exactly what they felt, and why they felt that way. It would no longer be a guessing game.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Flaw: Your appendix bursts and you need major surgery! The doctors can't cut into you because your skin is indestructable. Oh and before you say i can turn it off you are in a coma. If you are in any situation where you need medical help and are unconscious an in bulletproof form you stand the risk of dying

Flaw: You are a chef of life! which is fine. But what does every chef need - ingredients. So if you don't have pure carbon, oxygen or any other element for that sake you can't make anything. we are running out of fossil fuels so getting your hands on pure carbon is expensive these days. same randomly goes for helium. And yes you do need pure elements otherwise you are changing the laws of science.

Flaw: You can't die but you do age. you would watch all your friends and loved one pass on and are left knowing whenever you do make relationships they will all end the same way (DR Who)
Bulletproof and stab proof vests are different things
incipientT
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Flaw: Your appendix bursts and you need major surgery! The doctors can't cut into you because your skin is indestructable. Oh and before you say i can turn it off you are in a coma. If you are in any situation where you need medical help and are unconscious an in bulletproof form you stand the risk of dying

Flaw: You are a chef of life! which is fine. But what does every chef need - ingredients. So if you don't have pure carbon, oxygen or any other element for that sake you can't make anything. we are running out of fossil fuels so getting your hands on pure carbon is expensive these days. same randomly goes for helium. And yes you do need pure elements otherwise you are changing the laws of science.

Flaw: You can't die but you do age. you would watch all your friends and loved one pass on and are left knowing whenever you do make relationships they will all end the same way (DR Who)
I don't see why you would need pure elements. Why couldn't you extract the elements you need from an impure source?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by iianb)
Hypnotism
I like your train of thought

Flaw: No one will willingly go near you when your power becomes well known - till then i'd have some have fun

(Original post by the-black-lotus)
Being able to always instantly tell when you are being lied to
Moving objects with the mind (okay I mainly had shutting doors in mind when I'm too lazy to get up)
I like some lies. My aunt used to say i was really photogenic - what she really meant to say was i look a lot uglier in real life. :rolleyes:
if we were always honest all the time there would be a lot of hurt feelings flying around
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tilly Seargeant)
hahaha - you think about chocolate too much!

I'd like to see inside anyone's mind. So interesting to know people's real true and honest opinions. Their untarnished view of life, people and what they do. Their regrets, fears, decisions, enjoyments etc. It would be amazing to know exactly what they felt, and why they felt that way. It would no longer be a guessing game.
Who's guessing - I told you! All i think about is chocolate among other things
chappers-94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
In the context of saving the world, the hot dolls power from Misfits was hilariously awful, (people become sexually attracted to you on contact)

I want that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InternetGangster)
What about a test for aids? HUH?

NERD EXTERMINATED.
That'll be a mere trifle compared to the sorts of stuff I'll uncover with my mega brain. Seems you've forgotten the bigger picture!
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Who's guessing - I told you! All i think about is chocolate among other things
I meant other people - what they think about too. Not all people are honest
Rep:
?
Bulletproof and stab proof vests are different things
the power is durable skin - i'm saying if its at its hardest at such a time it becomes a flaw

(Original post by incipientT)
I don't see why you would need pure elements. Why couldn't you extract the elements you need from an impure source?
Actually i think you may be right on the pure thing because we are working at a molecular level so i don't know if this would allow for removal. But i know in chemistry if you have impurities or the wrong kind of atom (isotope) the reaction does not give the same product.

But getting it from an impure source could be dangerous - some atoms are flammable, toxic to inhale, corrosive to touch carcinogenic, so breaking bonds could be deadly.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the power is durable skin - i'm saying if its at its hardest at such a time it becomes a flaw

Actually i think you may be right on the pure thing because we are working at a molecular level so i don't know if this would allow for removal. But i know in chemistry if you have impurities or the wrong kind of atom (isotope) the reaction does not give the same product.

But getting it from an impure source could be dangerous - some atoms are flammable, toxic to inhale, corrosive to touch carcinogenic, so breaking bonds could be deadly.
I know your trying to point the negatives but I'm countering by saying that if durable skin was still thin enough to not limit movement - it can still be operated on
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

"Heavy Water" during the war, a potential source of nuclear weapons and radioactive, is an isotope of hydrogen.
Rep:
?
(Original post by montstar)
Telekinesis? :awesome:
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Telekinesis...
Flaw: Its the ability to move and manipulate things with your mind. Say you are dreaming and in this dream is your room you could inadvertently move things in your sleep because you're not able to control your subconscious.
Rep:
?
"Heavy Water" during the war, a potential source of nuclear weapons and radioactive, is an isotope of hydrogen.
Thats kind of what i was hinting at - its carcinogenic risks are high so isolating it in water could be potentially deadly.

i'd still rather have the following suggested powers than hers:

1.)Stealth pooing. The power to magic up a poo anywhere.

2.)I'd like the ability to morph into one of the shoes that a woman with pretty feet is wearing at any given moment of time- complete with the ability to smell, taste and feel.

plus people often kind of want to get away from rape not cause it
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But everything is made up of atoms already. You could simply break the structure of the molecules- pretty much able to break anything. You could change air itself to get what you need and for argument's sake, you don't need to be omniscient to know how to use your ability.
And breaking the laws of physics is a redundant point when asking about superpowers, don't you think?
Rep:
?
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
And breaking the laws of physics is a redundant point when asking about superpowers, don't you think?
EXACTLY! That's what makes them useless! In comic books they aren't too fussed about the laws of physics but in misfits they show how the power could go t*ts up.

As for the atom argument - if you have the ability to make and break bonds then that means you might make dangerous by products when you break something else, like someone said you could get heavy hydrogen which has been know to cause cancer etc. whatever you don't use you'd have to find a use for otherwise it could end badly I.e. hydrogen is highly flammable.
pheekum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To control time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
EXACTLY! That's what makes them useless!
Then what's the point of this thread? Every superpower can go wrong someway, just like there is a risk in drinking a glass of water or walking.
Cryl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Flaw: Not many people would thank you for reigniting the cold war. Especially when tensions between america and russia aren't at their best. *cough* Edward Snowdon

Flaw: you shapeshift into a cat and this happens

The bottom line is you could shapeshift into something that unwittingly puts you in harms way.
That's a rather trivial disadvantage. Everything has a disadvantage - you could say a problem with using paper is that you could bash it into someone's eyes and end up killing them with it. o.O So remote. That's not the problem with shapeshifting itself, it's the problem with what you choose to do in your new form.

Flaw: 1.) the earth is not the same if you teleport from the top of a hill then where you teleport to you will arrive there at the same level (probably to your death) because the ground may be a fair distance

2.) you could teleport and hurt someone like you said or yourself

3.) there's reasons you apply for visa's. You teleport to a country and are arrested. You teleport out of prison but you're now an international criminal because of this.
2 and 1 are pretty much the same. As for 3, that's not really problem for the user; problem for the government maintaining prisons etc. But refering to 1, I don't believe there is a rule of teleportation that you can only teleport horizontally on the same level. You may be able to teleport to the middle of the sky and fall to death. Or in your scenario, you may be able to teleport to the hill horizontally and vertically hence solving the death problem.

Flaw: I need specifics for this one but it doesn't matter what you say theres still a flaw. Are you invisible or is everything you touch invisible
You will be invisible when you want to be. Let's hear the disadvantages.
Rep:
?
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
Then what's the point of this thread? Every superpower can go wrong someway, just like there is a risk in drinking a glass of water or walking.
Not every super power goes against science. This thread was to find out which a power these were. None of the flaws have been far fetched and are quite plausible: if you shapeshift into a mouse to get into a small place, you run the risk of being eaten, if you teleport you've gotta account for the person you might land on.

The most practical one so far has been telekenesis because as long as you don't have any funny dreams, the power is pretty solid. Mind control too because I honestly can't find a plausible flaw with these two.

Edit: also Absorbing talent from people you have met. You can pick what talent you want and it's permanent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed