• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Maybe this funny spider will help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLw-9dpHtcU

or this one...

This actually makes me feel sorry for spiders.

I've done this. I saw one behind my bed in a web, and I slept as still as possible from fear of disturbing it for 2 whole weeks. I thought that if it weren't disturbed then it would stay in the same place. Although it disappeared after a while and I still don't know where it is now.

ReputationRep:
    grow the **** up, I mean what a retarded irrational fear, unless your on holiday somewhere like Australia you have no ground for fear of spiders, I share my house with at least 10 spiders (one in each room) not one has ever attempted to come near me and they eat the mosquitoes (which will cause problems)

most people dont even have a fear of spiders its a learned thing (notice out of all my friend its the ones whose parent are scared that have copied the stupid-ness of it all)

Its a tiny non-dangerous animal but I bet your the same idiot that tries to swat bees off people by acting like a moron and swinging at the bee with newspapers and then expect me to say thank you despite the fact that you made a safe situation dangerous
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    Funny spider? That species of spider would actually kill you :P
    Well I live in Las Vegas right now, where almost everything will kill you I found a scorpion in my house yesterday so you have to look on the funny side of things.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Tilly Seargeant)
    This actually makes me feel sorry for spiders.
    Yeah, me too. There's a whole bunch of them

http://www.quickmeme.com/Misunderstood-Spider/

ReputationRep:
    No one can give you better advice than one of his own kind...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Yeah, me too. There's a whole bunch of them

http://www.quickmeme.com/Misunderstood-Spider/
    aw now I feel bad

This one in particular http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3tretc/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rattusratus)
    grow the **** up, I mean what a retarded irrational fear, unless your on holiday somewhere like Australia you have no ground for fear of spiders, I share my house with at least 10 spiders (one in each room) not one has ever attempted to come near me and they eat the mosquitoes (which will cause problems)

most people dont even have a fear of spiders its a learned thing (notice out of all my friend its the ones whose parent are scared that have copied the stupid-ness of it all)

Its a tiny non-dangerous animal but I bet your the same idiot that tries to swat bees off people by acting like a moron and swinging at the bee with newspapers and then expect me to say thank you despite the fact that you made a safe situation dangerous
    Just because someone is scared of spiders doesn't mean they are scared of bees.

I have lingering arachnophobia. I've spent many years working on it, and learning to pick small ones up, but I have never been bothered by bees and bumblebees, and I haven't ever tried to swat them!

Most phobias can be learnt in infancy/early childhood. That doesn't really make them less valid. It just demonstrates the effectiveness of evolution! When a young child witnesses their parents being visibly terrified of something, they become scared of it themselves. Through human history, I expect that this has been quite a useful trait, which kept children alive, even if they weren't capable of understanding rational explanations about why they should avoid particular situations.

Chances are, I did probably develop my own fear of spiders from seeing my mother's fear when I was very very young. She probably developed it in her early childhood, when she lived in a country with venomous spiders. But that doesn't make the way the fear feels more insignificant. If anything, perhaps it's deeper. The most important person in the world to a two- or three-year-old is their main caregiver(s), (mother, father, whatever). When a child sees their caregiver being scared of something, the objects of fear develop huge significance. The object must be hugely terrifying from a child's point of view, because normally the caregiver knows how to do everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)

This is the cutest critter I have ever found... how can anyone be afraid of something so awesome? I want one.
    It's a lovely shade of pink but I doubt that the fly sees your perspective :P
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rattusratus)

Actually my parents have no fear of spiders at all, but I'm not too keen on them. Personally I don't have a fear of their presence if they remain still. I just don't like their quick and unpredictable movements. I get used to them because there are many in my house. My parents refuse to get rid of them.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me the other day, cept it went under my bedside table. I blocked up the only entrance space and went to bed. The next day I went to look and it was gone :eek: I was so freaked out and I guess it's still here somewhere, I don't mind as long as I don't have to see it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ho Chi Minh)
    It's a common misconception that we don't have venomous spiders in the UK actually, but if you don't live in the South you're probably fine - just putting it out there

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9541...nomous_spider/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ow-spider.html
    I was afraid of this...let's hope OP doesn't live in Southhampton then!
    'gained strongholds'... I'm just imagining us preparing for the Great Spider War of 2028 :P

ReputationRep:
    A spider crawled under my bed in the morning, I went out for the day, assumed by the evening it would have scuttled off elsewhere. I got into bed that night and a huge, black, spider crawled across me... :pain:

You have every reason to be petrified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarasta)
    i looked it up, and i felt my sheet move against my foot and nearly **** my pants ( i was looking at the photo when this happened )
    Assuming you don't decide to sleep on top of a suspicious movable mound of raised grass/debris, you'll be fine and just letting your imagination get carried away
    Also do not watch the Woman in Black, from what I've heard!
    :hugs:

All the spiders that come into my room charge at me. One of my walls is littered with spider carcasses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    When you say 'huge' what do you mean? those who are suggesting ahe hoover it, you cant hoover some spiders as they are too big. OP on the bright side they dont fly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can, take off the end of the hoover and use the big round metal tube. A spider would have to be pretty ****ing huge not to fit into that. Then you point the hoover on the ground or ceiling to create a vacuum like state and it gets sucked in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FilmNerd1989)
    This.

And - this sounds mental - but what you could try is naming the spider. Then it might not be as scary. I read about a girl who had severe arachnophobia, and her mum used to get her to name the spiders she saw, so she wouldn't be frightened of them.

On another note - your bedroom will be too hot for a spider - while you were in your sister's room it will have made its way back outside, so don't worry. Anyone here trying to freak you out with the mouth thing is an idiot - spiders don't go for human mouths - why would they? Spiders are driven by the need to eat, and humans are FAR too big to be prey!
    I disagree, spiders go to where it is warm, I always open my door at night to let in cool air (obviously lights out) and bugs don't come in that much, but spiders do.

ReputationRep:
    I was sleeping once and woke up in the middle of the night. With my eyes still bleary I saw a huge black thing on my bed, thinking it was my mobile I reached over for it and then saw that it was a spider as it scurried away. You feel scared for a while but you eventually just get use to it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amplify)
    It's a British spider; it will do you no harm at all. It's hundreds of thousands of times smaller than you; what is it going to do?
    There are actually around 30 venomous/biting spider species in the UK. None are particularly life threatening, but their bites can be extremely painful. Perhaps the most notorious and well known, is the false widow spider.

Little known fact, we also have a species of scorpion in this country too. http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...s-from-uk.html

Sleep tight OP....

ReputationRep:
    Spiders have way more reasons to be scared of humans.
    You have a couple of options:
    A) Man up
    B) Get an insect net
    C) Move permanently to a friend's house all because of a spider.

I recommend A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    There are actually around 30 venomous/biting spider species in the UK. None are particularly life threatening, but their bites can be extremely painful. Perhaps the most notorious and well known, is the false widow spider.

Little known fact, we also have a species of scorpion in this country too. http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...s-from-uk.html

Sleep tight OP....
    And if you turn out to be slightly allergic to them, it'll be painful for days.

Or you could have a serious allergy... In which case it could go really badly for you!

Warning: there's a ******* big picture of a big black house spider at the top of the article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-8319732.html

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.