Royal Baby - TSR response? Watch

Poll: Will the new baby be a boy or a girl?
Boy - the future Prince of Wales and King of England (and maybe Scotland - who knows?) (9)
8.04%
Girl - a huge disappointment to all concerned at Buck House (12)
10.71%
Something unknown (5)
4.46%
I don't care enough to vote but I still want to cast a vote (86)
76.79%
Zhy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just hope Kate's beautiful feet haven't been damaged by all that baby weight she's had to carry around. They should be her priority.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Opinion polls done over the years have shown that the % of people opposed to the monarchy lies around 20% and has peaked at around 40-45% in the past. Not bad seeing as republicans get accused of hating Britain and receive virtually no press coverage.
I don't believe that one in five British people are republicans.
Midlander
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
I don't believe that one in five British people are republicans.
Fair enough the polls are lying then.
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tilly Seargeant)
It's not obsessing. It's called taking an interest in what happens in the country you live in, and supporting what goes on in it. The country is getting worse because people don't act like a community enough. We should support each other, and the events that happen within the country. And in any case these are my opinions and you have yours. I don't see why I should be forced to agree with your opinions.

Because taking an interest in a baby who will probably have no impact whatsoever and obsessing (yes, you are obsessing) about its delivery is really supporting one another. Doing something proactive could be considered supporting each other but trying to "support" a lady who is not exactly poor is pointless - hence why people like you who continue to do this make this country worse because you can't actually support the people who need support
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zhy)
I just hope Kate's beautiful feet haven't been damaged by all that baby weight she's had to carry around. They should be her priority.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It's her fault for having the baby then.
username1230506
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i hope they call the baby katie hopkins
sugar-n-spice
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The way the news arm of the BBC gives the impression the whole country (and in fact the world) is excited about this, and how the BBC has lined up loads of "Royal baby" themed TV programs shows just how much of a propaganda mouthpiece the BBC really is.
toddman10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i just hope eastenders doesn't lose an episode this week because of royal baby shows
sugar-n-spice
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She's gone into labour!!!
Cameron won't be pleased
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Genocidal)
To be fair it's pretty hard to **** up sitting on a throne, living in palaces, and shaking hands with random people every so often.
I refer you to the history of King Henry VIII.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hyde)
Because taking an interest in a baby who will probably have no impact whatsoever and obsessing (yes, you are obsessing) about its delivery is really supporting one another. Doing something proactive could be considered supporting each other but trying to "support" a lady who is not exactly poor is pointless - hence why people like you who continue to do this make this country worse because you can't actually support the people who need support
But I do support people who need it. I fundraise for charities, I offer advice to people, I tutor my friend who struggles with her work at school, I help out in my school community, I care for those around me - I once even walked an old lady all the way to the next town to make sure she got to her doctors appointment on time - I didn't have to, but I care about those who need it, and those who are more vulnerable than myself. I do more than enough to help others, and so I think I've done just enough to be able to enjoy the arrival of a new life to this World.

I am an in no way having a negative effect on this country. And in any case it's not your decision what I choose to enjoy and take an interest in. That's all up to me I'm afraid, and you have no power to change my mind.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not obsessing. It's called taking an interest in what happens in the country you live in, and supporting what goes on in it. The country is getting worse because people don't act like a community enough. We should support each other, and the events that happen within the country. And in any case these are my opinions and you have yours. I don't see why I should be forced to agree with your opinions.
Why should we have to support the events in the country if it goes against their principles?
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
Why should we have to support the events in the country if it goes against their principles?
I didn't say you had to. You can support what you like, that's not my decisions -it's yours. This is simply what I want to support. I don't mind if other people don't support it, just let me support what I want to support and I'll let you support what you want to support.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But I do support people who need it. I fundraise for charities, I offer advice to people, I tutor my friend who struggles with her work at school, I help out in my school community, I care for those around me - I once even walked an old lady all the way to the next town to make sure she got to her doctors appointment on time - I didn't have to, but I care about those who need it, and those who are more vulnerable than myself. I do more than enough to help others, and so I think I've done just enough to be able to enjoy the arrival of a new life to this World.

I am an in no way having a negative effect on this country. And in any case it's not your decision what I choose to enjoy and take an interest in. That's all up to me I'm afraid, and you have no power to change my mind.
Babies are born up and down the country every day but I don't see anyone gushing over the next Joe Bloggs. The royal baby will be born into a world of free privilege and luxury beyond the imagination of 99% of those being born today. Why? Because his surname is Windsor.

With any luck the monarchy will be gone by the time this baby is fully grown up and s/he can go out and lead a normal life not funded by the taxpayer.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't say you had to. You can support what you like, that's not my decisions -it's yours. This is simply what I want to support. I don't mind if other people don't support it, just let me support what I want to support and I'll let you support what you want to support.
Yes, of course you can support it (obviously, who am I to say you can't because I don't?)

but I don't like the assumption that people who don't and are cynical about the whole thing are spoil sports and should be attacked.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, of course you can support it (obviously, who am I to say you can't because I don't?)

but I don't like the assumption that people who don't and are cynical about the whole thing are spoil sports and should be attacked.
Indeed. 'Why do you hate Britain?' being a favourite Royal-worshipper put down.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Indeed. 'Why do you hate Britain?' being a favourite Royal-worshipper put down.
:mad: Yep!

OR "we're about to witness history!!!!" (about a million times during the Royal Wedding and now this) "...therefore you must be sickeningly happy for people you'll never meet and people who don't give a **** about you".

What about people who don't buy into the need for a monarchy? :cry2:
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I don't think that at all, and I don't have that assumption. I think that people who don't like it are welcome to that view, and their view is just the same as my own - i.e it's perfectly acceptable.

I'm not trying to attack people in any way, I just wanted to put my opinion across, just as much as yourself or anyone else can.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think that at all, and I don't have that assumption. I think that people who don't like it are welcome to that view, and their view is just the same as my own - i.e it's perfectly acceptable.

I'm not trying to attack people in any way, I just wanted to put my opinion across, just as much as yourself or anyone else can.
That part of my post wasn't directed towards you, I used it from real-life experience.
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it matters which gender the baby is; modern life demands equal treatment of both genders, so I don't see the benefit of it being male. I also feel sorry for the new arrival considering there are numerous media representatives outside the hospital waiting for the latest news, when actually they won't know a thing until the baby is taken to Buckingham Palace and its gender and name officially announced there. Why aren't all the reporters outside Buckingham Palace instead of the hospital? Give them a bit of privacy!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.69%
No (665)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.69%

Watched Threads