Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Used newspaper as toilet paper as we couldn't afford to buy any bog roll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    just free pens? i ransack the entire tent/building...

there was a stall from dominos where they hand out free pizza slices... i did a circuit walk by where i walk around in a circle, passing the stall over and over...

I have done this two years in a row
    lol not just pens, they gave out diaries, sweets but the stuff in 2nd and 3rd year were awful compared to my first year they had a box full of coffee sachets, shampoo, gym bags, mugs.

ReputationRep:
    Who uses straws?!? Sipping is free!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    I'm genuinely interested in this, because I hear supermarkets would rather dump leftover stock

and how does it even work? do they literally have reduced price tags on all their items on display?
    It doesn't need to be around 11pm - Sainsbury's tend to reduce the the fresh meat/deli counter around 6pm, picked up three Aberdeen Angus burgers (quarter pounders!) for £1.20 one evening, felt like a king given I was living on noodles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarrenBuffett)
    Eating Food after its expiry date (up to 7 days)
    Reusing condoms
    Not washing bed sheets over the year.
    Begging for Money on the tube.
    Wearing the same underwear for 2-4 weeks(but i'm probably not on my own on that one)
    everything here is a step too far.. especially the condoms, thats disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    Nothing is a step too far for a student! Ive decided not too post some other things that would be very shameful and make me look really bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manty)
    I bet they were all totally serious, too.

ReputationRep:
    Get all the hot food from sainsburys minutes before they throw it all away, ridiculous reductions and its hot meat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    In my house toilet, if someone uses a square of toilet paper that turns out to be a 'no wiper', we leave it there for use by the next person.
    I hope you're joking. That's disgusting and so unhygienic!

ReputationRep:
    Reusing condoms
    I sincerely hope that the reused condom was used with the same girl!

On a side note this thread is brilliant....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Re using toilet paper.
    Please tell me you're joking :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Removing the vouchers Sainsbury's self-service tills print out that people don't bother to collect and swapping them for viable ones. (They generally work on any Nectar card.) Doing swaps with relevant Tesco vouchers as well, using an elaborate trading scheme.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by this please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by this please.
    The self-service checkouts at Sainsburys print vouchers from a printer located at the top-left hand corner of the till. Those vouchers can be used by anyone - they are not limited to the holder of a specific Nectar card. Lots and lots of people simply forget to pull them out, don't realise they are there or can't be bothered. Sometimes they are for CASH off a shop. Other times they are things like 500 points, worth £2.50. Those are lucky ones, but there are lots of others. When you go to the self-service area, look for machines that still have them sticking out, approach with confidence, do your shop and remove them, using ones that appeal!

It's surprising how many people don't take them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Buying clothes for fancy dress parties, tucking the labels, going on the razz and returning them the next day.
    Lots of shops selling fancy dress clothes don't let you return the goods?

ReputationRep:
    Eating Food after its expiry date (up to 7 days)
    Reusing condoms
    Not washing bed sheets over the year.
    Begging for Money on the tube.
    Wearing the same underwear for 2-4 weeks(but i'm probably not on my own on that one)
    :eek:

First one isn't too bad, but the others!

(Original post by spocckka)
    In my house toilet, if someone uses a square of toilet paper that turns out to be a 'no wiper', we leave it there for use by the next person.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Lots of shops selling fancy dress clothes don't let you return the goods?
    Not as in dressing up like a duck, more in the case of I went to a party as Mr Potato head, so I needed to get the hat I'm not paying £20 for a silly hat, or you could go as Russell Brand so need a load of pirate like clothes you wouldn't normally wear. You can get those kind of things from Topman and still return them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Not as in dressing up like a duck, more in the case of I went to a party as Mr Potato head, so I needed to get the hat I'm not paying £20 for a silly hat, or you could go as Russell Brand so need a load of pirate like clothes you wouldn't normally wear. You can get those kind of things from Topman and still return them.
    Ah that would make sense I guess

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I go shopping, it is about 30 minutes before the shop closes, and I try and get all the cut cost reduced food like the tramp that I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The self-service checkouts at Sainsburys print vouchers from a printer located at the top-left hand corner of the till. Those vouchers can be used by anyone - they are not limited to the holder of a specific Nectar card. Lots and lots of people simply forget to pull them out, don't realise they are there or can't be bothered. Sometimes they are for CASH off a shop. Other times they are things like 500 points, worth £2.50. Those are lucky ones, but there are lots of others. When you go to the self-service area, look for machines that still have them sticking out, approach with confidence, do your shop and remove them, using ones that appeal!

It's surprising how many people don't take them.
    I always take these! I try and choose a till with one sticking out so I can use that on what I'm about to pay for haha.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to kill the party, but a lot of these 'tactics' are a step too far. I would be furious if someone stole my food or belongings just to save a few £s. As I'm the first to save, cut spending and cut waste, I wouldn't have a problem with money-saving tactics if they just affect you, but stealing food from buffets or pens is irresponsible. Just buy your own and stop being a cheap skate. I don't understand what makes some of you so important? You may laugh now and say I'm overreacting but someone has to buy the buffet food, for a scruffy student to come along and steal it is frustrating to say the least, what would happen if everyone did it? There'd be none left.

The worst thing I've done was eat biscuits for dinner because I couldn't be bothered to go out, still that's sheer laziness and my problem.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.