Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    Omg my dad was calling UCAS like uck-ca and I was there for 5 minutes wondering what on earth he was talking about xD
    Both my parents call it u-cash... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    In simple terms, its basically when someone tries to take down a website by hitting the server hosting it with millions of page requests. Every time you request a webpage in your browser you make a request to the server hosting it. If you do it enough times by means of a lot of computing power you can overload the server so it can't deal with all of the requests. In this way you prevent legitimate users from being able to access the website.
    Ahh right. Thanks!

Those *******s! Just when result day is coming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Me too. I'm stressing on behalf of a few friends. WHY do you all have to have offers for Cambridge???
    Hard work and talent? Definitely the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indyb16)
    can I actually reset it by email, it's down like I can't log in
    I know right, need to sort out their **** really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah well even if they're down now I'm sure you could reset it via email later on, and if all else fails you can give them a ring tomorrow morning and they'll give you the necessary guidance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrari Lexus)
    Ahh right. Thanks!

Those *******s! Just when result day is coming!
    To be honest it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, because unless it's a BIG attack, then as others have mentioned its really fairly similar to the high loads they see on results anyway! Track has certainly been fallible in the past but last year they finally moved to a cloud system which means that it can simply add more capacity if it starts to run out. TSR also runs on a cloud, so hopefully no chance of that going down over results either .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    You move in exalted circles.
    State Grammar, it was going to happen. They both hold offers for languages as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    To be honest it doesn't make a huge amount of sense, because unless it's a BIG attack, then as others have mentioned its really fairly similar to the high loads they see on results anyway! Track has certainly been fallible in the past but last year they finally moved to a cloud system which means that it can simply add more capacity if it starts to run out. TSR also runs on a cloud, so hopefully no chance of that going down over results either .
    Oh OK! Finger's crossed TSR and UCAS runs! And good luck for everyone's results!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh OK! Finger's crossed TSR and UCAS runs! And good luck for everyone's results!!!
    TSR tends to work. Track will go for a granny nap some point tomorrow morning...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    Probably an incredibly butthurt individual who wants to ruin it for everybody.
    More likely UCAS skimping on server costs and getting taken down by their own traffic, which is what happens every year.

ReputationRep:
    If you can, get an app of some sort (there should be an iphone one, there's probably an android one as well).

On my results day UCAS went down bigtime, but I found out I'd got in to my uni from the iphone app at about half 6 in the morning (couldn't sleep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    You move in exalted circles.
    Unlike bishops, who move in exalted diagonals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    If you can, get an app of some sort (there should be an iphone one, there's probably an android one as well).

On my results day UCAS went down bigtime, but I found out I'd got in to my uni from the iphone app at about half 6 in the morning (couldn't sleep)
    2011 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Unlike bishops, who move in exalted diagonals.
    Enjoying a few games of chess to pass the time?

ReputationRep:
    Okay that's not fair. Outlooks down and that the e-mail tied to my UCAS and application. Microsoft better have it up in 9 hours time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mucgoo)
    Okay that's not fair. Outlooks down and that the e-mail tied to my UCAS and application. Microsoft better have it up in 9 hours time.
    Facing the exact same problem! This is really not the best time for all these websites to be facing problems :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLogan)
    Facing the exact same problem! This is really not the best time for all these websites to be facing problems :/
    Worst case, if both UCAS and your email is down, go and collect your results. If your results are worse than expected (and I'm not saying they are) and you need to enter clearing, you will need your individual results before speaking to Universities. Wishing you all the very best, I know how stressful this is.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any chance that our unis will email us saying they have accepted/rejected us will email us before UCAS tells us at 8am ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was most likely EoP, I wouldn't worry too much about them as they are most likely closing soon

ReputationRep:
    Whatever ******* thinks he/she is being funny by doing this needs a reality check. Thousands of students are relying on UCAS to function well over the next 24 hours and more..! The fact that UCAS says that confirmation and clearing will be go on as normal is relieving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneha.vag)
    Whatever ******* thinks he/she is being funny by doing this needs a reality check. Thousands of students are relying on UCAS to function well over the next 24 hours and more..! The fact that UCAS says that confirmation and clearing will be go on as normal is relieving.
    Sadly, some idiots do find this funny. Try not to worry. As I said before, if you cannot access UCAS or your email, get your results from school or college. If the worst happens, you'll need your results before you can speak to anyone in clearing.

Good luck, I know this is an added stress that nobody needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.