x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice?

BRISTOL!

ReputationRep:
    Well coming from someone who took a gap year to go again for Oxford ( which went bottoms up) I would say take a gap year if you have other places in mind too, not just oxbridge. You mentioned LSE too so I'd say it's worth the risk.

Well done too! What were your A levels in?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'd just like to say congratulations and best wishes for your future If you would like any impartial help regarding making a decision about what to do next please feel free to ask

Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice?

ReputationRep:
    One thing I love is how unis are courting this site to steal high performing students off each other.

Ah, the free market <3

ReputationRep:
    I am in exactly the same position as you. But I knew I wanted to take an Engineering gap year since March, yet I'm really struggling to find a placement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    This is a totally personal decision. I'd say you have a decent shot for the likes of LSE/Oxbridge with those but I don't know your overall profile so it's hard to say how likely it is when the competition is so tough. If you really want to go to LSE/Oxbridge then I'd say go for it, but if you love the course at Nottingham I'd say go there. Why waste potentially a year of your life when there's no guarantee you'll get a better place? It could backfire.

Best of luck with the decisions, and congrats.
    But if you manage get a good placement for the year, you manage to earn some money + experience. So isn't it a win/win situation especially since with A*A*A, he'll almost certainly be unconditionally accepted into most universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    One thing I love is how unis are courting this site to steal high performing students off each other.

Ah, the free market <3
    I love this too!

I didn't realise how many of them were on here until today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieH1992)
    I love this too!

I didn't realise how many of them were on here until today!
    I've slowly seen them entering TSR, but today they really are fighting each other. It's basically war between unis placed 10-20 on the league tables fighting for ABB+

My uni, Manchester, isn't doing it. I think it's because they're big enough lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_Morris)
    Take a gap year and apply to a better university. By far the superior option. This way you'll have a year of extra experience AND the better grades. Win/Win.
    My friend did this and got into Cambridge. He expected AAA and got A*A*A*. He's really pleased he did.
    I'd advise this if you can wait.

Otherwise,
    Nottingham is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    would i stand a chance though
    my gcses arent ridiculousy good or anything, 2A* 6A 2B

ReputationRep:
    would i stand a chance though
    my gcses arent ridiculousy good or anything, 2A* 6A 2B
    Cambridge would be a better choice than Oxford as they don't place as much emphasis on GCSEs, and they like A*s at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Cambridge would be a better choice than Oxford as they don't place as much emphasis on GCSEs, and they like A*s at A-level.
    i also hear cambridge is more politics based couse wise than oxford too

Is it true the nightlife at these places (oxbridge, LSE etc) sucks? especially compared to places likeNottingham?

ReputationRep:

Is it true the nightlife at these places (oxbridge, LSE etc) sucks? especially compared to places likeNottingham?
    LONDON school of economics... Nightlife in London doesn't suck haha

ReputationRep:

Depends what sort of person you are.

Tbh, most will be posh upper-middle class people at Oxbridge and depending on what you got expelled for, I'm not sure you'll fit in very well. You're going to be mixing with people who will have an untarnished history looking to break into the very premier reaches of the labour market.

As for LSE, it takes a very high proportion of internal students, so that is something to bare in mind. However, they are world renowned for their Social Sciences.

I personally think you should go to Nottingham. MPs have gone there before, Linkedin has shown people at major think tanks/pressure groups have gone there. The nightlife at Nottingham is fantastic, more broad than Oxbridge and cheaper than both Oxbridge and London. In fact, far cheaper.

Choice is yours. You can't expect people on an internet forum decide the next year of your life tbh.

You're wise. I'd be pumping for uni right now tbh. I wouldn't want an unnecessary unplanned gap yah (oh, and plenty will have been on one at Notts).

ReputationRep:

Im in Oxford literally right now visiting friends and the nightlife is decent. Better than Durham! But even Durham was enjoyable, you learn to make the most of what you got as a student

ReputationRep:
    you could try adjustment. if that doesn't work you've got a choice of whether to wait a year and risk not getting in anywhere better or settle for that offer (which is still pretty good). also at oxford you'd have to do ppe and there is a good chance you wouldn't get in anyway. what were your gcse's like anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucas13)
    you could try adjustment. if that doesn't work you've got a choice of whether to wait a year and risk not getting in anywhere better or settle for that offer (which is still pretty good). also at oxford you'd have to do ppe and there is a good chance you wouldn't get in anyway. what were your gcse's like anyway.
    Would probably opt for Cambridge as its Politics. 2A* 6A 2B so nothing special

im pretty sure id still get in to nottingham again..AAB couse when i already have A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    Well OP the same thing happened to me last year - held an AAB offer for history at Bristol, got A*AA on results day. I took a gap year, rewrote my personal statement, volunteered, got a job, and ended up gettingan offer from oxford, as well as universities that didn't give me offers last time (UCL, Durham). You won't regret it OP, even if it doesn't work out you'll still get some great experience, have a whale of a time travelling and still end up at an excellent university (maybe Nottingham?) what have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    Hi op. my advice is to flip a coin. It is the best way of deciding things like this because in the few seconds it is in the air you know exactly what side you want it to land on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place at Royal Holloway through Adjustment, do you know how long it takes for the offer to come through on Track? It was made in the past hour.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.