The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lunch_Box
Maths UMS were harsh this year

especially FP1 for OCR their grade boundaries are usually high,im guessing its because theres so many people who are good at maths that took further maths,anyway you needed 64/72 to get an A thats 88%!
Reply 61
Original post by Robbie242

S1 anyone?
Econ F582 anyone?

I managed to get a B in me S1. But the Pure 2 wasn't as well.
Reply 62
My sixth form gave us a letter saying if we get 2 U's or more, then they'll have to kick you out, but even then, they let us retake the whole of year 12.
Reply 63
Yh I had straights A's throughout the school year in Biology and somehow I got a C?!
Edexcel's S1 was not what was expected.

You can't call the results harsh since its UMS. But kicking out students after exams is harsh, or what's the use of Mocks?
Yes they did mark it harshly, but it also depends on your center.
For instance I had loads of people in my class who did really well and got A's at geography, but my geography answers were slightly worse than them and I got a B.
If I was in another area with worse students and I did the same, I would have got an A.

FFS its annoying.
What exam boards are you guys experiencing this with? My OCR and AQA exam boards were really good more than I hoped but WJEC just wow. I barely got a D in one biology module (for unit 1 and practical I got A's) and I got a C in my English when that was supposed to be my best subject???? No idea what happened though I knew biology went badly but not that bad O_o
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Nabilax
I managed to get a B in me S1. But the Pure 2 wasn't as well.

I got a B in S1 as well but expected an A, I think the marking was harsher in general.
While I do think that the exam season has been slightly strange (odd papers and all that) people at our school typically got what they were expected to, no huge surprises. Every year people create a thread like this, but the truth is not all teachers know how to adequately predict grades and students can often fool their teachers by doing well in mocks and class tests by finding the past papers.

There will always be a range of grades - I'm really sorry if that doesn't give you what you want but not everyone can be top standard!
Reply 69
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Yep. I did not get the results I expected at all, I was only really scared about English Lit and confident about psychology. Turns out, Psychology was my worst and Eng lit my best. My results are so bad... I'm not even going to post it, they will make your eyes bleed. But I did 'pass' them all (Hence AS pass rate is A-E). I'm really depressed as I've now been booted out of my sixthform. I don't know where else to go.

I'm sorry to hear about that :frown: If you passed all your AS's, surely they should let you continue into A2, you could even retake. I'm having a bad day myself and I'm not looking forward to telling people my grades as I have some really conceited ones at my sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sayonara
I believe the AS markings are not harsh at all. They will add the appropriate grade boundaries for varying difficulties of exam papers.

I see many people get full UMS in many exams. So, in my opinion, the AS markings are very, very fair.

If AS markings were to be soft, then what is the point of exams? They need to be harsh to measure a person's capabilities successfully. If they lower the standards, the quality of education and potential employees will decline. People will always get the grade they deserve (except for certain reasons such as medical reasons of course).

Edit: I understand if some people have achieved very poor grades; the poor grades should be a wake up call for these people to work harder and/or alter their revision methods, rather than spending this time giving me a thumbs down. The harshness of markings will prepare you for the real world - prepare you for the standards of work that your employer expects from you. Higher grade boundaries motivate people to work much more harder and it raises standards. Without standards, then as a country (United Kingdom), we won't be able to succeed and surpass other countries. Many second world countries have surpassed USA in terms of education already! Why? USA has low grade boundaries and there are too many people achieving an A. An A will be worth less if markings were to be less harsh. For example, the exam system wouldn't work if everyone who sat an AS exam achieved in A, would it? The 'A' wouldn't mean anything in this case as it cannot be used as a measure of capability for universities and employers. Although, feel free to thumb me down if it really makes you feel any better... Don't give up, keep your head high and try your best!

+1 I agree with you, too many people are just expecting A grades
Reply 71
Original post by carpe diem 123
The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will do exactly that! The shoddy marking seems pretty believable, I wouldn't be surprised, as it is OCR. Thanks again!
Reply 72
Original post by Jayqwe
Yeah thanks, and good luck with yours as well, my friends weren't so lucky though having a U or an E, but results overall in AS were quite bad for my year

oh, that's not good:frown: Did you're friends not get kicked out of college? I've heard some people are being kicked out which i think is a bit harsh tbh, especially for those who have worked hard:redface:
Original post by Lunch_Box
Maths UMS were harsh this year

what did you get? I think it depends on the modules
Reply 74
Original post by Scotttt
I too can relate, especially with the sciences- I got AACC, with the two Cs being Physics and Chemistry- I was not expecting to get so low, especially with the chemistry. I got 92 marks on my F322, what is that out of? Apparently it's out of 120. 92/120 is 81%. Surely a B, even an A? Nope. A C grade.

Probably should have done better in my practical though.. I only got a D XD

I hate OCR!

Isnt 92UMS/120UMS = 77%?
Original post by Robbie242
I got a B in S1 as well but expected an A, I think the marking was harsher in general.

Maybe you might have made mistakes you hadn't realised?
Reply 76
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Maybe you might have made mistakes you hadn't realised?

The markscheme was very specific and didn't allow much leniency in small errors, such is maths a-level. Though I don't necessarily disagree with the harshness I am just saying it felt somewhat harsh. There has to be a point when getting an A grade is an achievement rather than an entitlement
Reply 77
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
It always seems to be like this in AS year. Like I last year got C's and D's in modules, which was a complete surprise, but it is possible to turn it around! You'll get the hang of the exams eventually, just keep working at it and looking at past papers, examiner's reports and markschemes.

really?i got C eng lit,C in History and D in french.i really was hoping for BBC :frown:
Reply 78
I got UUD. total bs.
well i got mixed... got a D in my latin language which i thought would be at least a mid B, and a B in my lit paper which i thought i'd gotten a D in. overall think it was harsh this year as forcast AAAB and ended up with AABC

Quick Reply

Latest