Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a tree falls in the wood............ Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Faceman)
    Finally some one who thinks it doesn't make a sound!
    The airways only make a noise when it hits the brain so if there is no brain about how can there be noise
    this has always been my thought as well

whilst the tree undoubtedly makes an impact that would cause sound if there is nothing around that can register the sound i.e an ear drum and brain then the sound doesnt happen

ReputationRep:
    "Yes it does",
    "But, how do you know if you didn't hear it",
    "Because all trees make a sound when they fall",
    "How can you be certain of this? The tree that fell may have been the exception to the law",
    "They just do, it's fact",
    "But that still doesn't change the possibility that this falling tree may not have made a sound if you wasn't there to observe it",
    "LOOK ******** ITS FACT THAT ALL TREES MAKE A SOUND WHEN THEY FALL",
    "What if you're deaf? Does the tree still make a sound?"
    "Yes, you just can't hear it",
    "But, Descartes said we can't trust our senses, so even if you could hear it, how do you know it actually made a sound and you wasn't imagining it?"
    "WHAT THE **** IS WITH ALL THESE QUESTIONS. I NEED A BEER. GOODNIGHT"

I love Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    According to quantum mechanics, it is in a state of both "making a sound" and "not making a sound". Until someone observes the sounds.

ReputationRep:
    There can only be a sound when there is something to hear it such as a human ear or a recording device. To me then if no-one or nothing hears the sound it doesn't make one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freier._.lance)
    According to quantum mechanics, it is in a state of both "making a sound" and "not making a sound". Until
    someone observes the sounds.
    That weird state exists? Any proof? It doesn't make any sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.